Which is more fuel efficient?

Started by cozmik, January 21, 2009, 04:34:04 PM

Byteme

Quote from: MrH on January 22, 2009, 07:15:48 PM
You'd still have the added drag of pushing the air around.  Better to just shut the valves and let the pistons compress the same air over and over.

Gotta balance the fuel savings against the added expense of such a valve train.

Byteme

Quote from: r0tor on January 23, 2009, 09:30:30 AM
MY RX-8 reports the same and when looking at the injector pulse width it goes to zilch

How do you know the injector pulse width?

heelntoe

@heelntoe

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 23, 2009, 10:42:11 AM
Y? The intake + exhaust valves are closed.

You're not paying attention. I was suggesting that as an alternative to closing the valves, but then realized it would still be an issue.

At any rate, being an air pump is the whole point of engine braking.

JWC

Quote from: R-inge on January 23, 2009, 07:15:20 PM
You're not paying attention. I was suggesting that as an alternative to closing the valves, but then realized it would still be an issue.

At any rate, being an air pump is the whole point of engine braking.

Jake-brake?

S204STi

Quote from: JWC on January 23, 2009, 07:38:20 PM
Jake-brake?

Not sure how those work.  But even with a normal car, the engine is pumping but not creating energy, so it must be a hinderance, right?

JWC

Your description sounds a lot like the theory behind jake-brake.

I'm pretty sure that trying to accelerate my VW to get to a higher gear sooner will waste fuel.  I can also say that my Volvo's average mpg goes down with continuous hard acceleration.

S204STi

Quote from: JWC on January 23, 2009, 08:04:44 PM

I'm pretty sure that trying to accelerate my VW to get to a higher gear sooner will waste fuel.  I can also say that my Volvo's average mpg goes down with continuous hard acceleration.

Ditto.  In theory is sounds feasible but in real life I do much better by driving gently.

TBR

I think you would have to shift very early for it to be effective which is difficult to do, particularly if your engine enjoys higher revs as much as mine does.

Byteme

Quote from: JWC on January 23, 2009, 08:04:44 PM

Each car is going to be a bit different.  What Road and track was offering was a general rule.

Large throttle openings while shifting at low RPMs will reduce pumping loses.  I don't think they were advocating flooring it and shifting at 3000-3500.  Certainly they wern't saying run it up to near the redline and then shift.

BTW I tried coasting doen from 50 in neutral and in 5th gear.  No difference, the mileage readout went to 99.9 in both cases.

In the 3 I accelerate just enough to stay up with everybody else and shift at relatively low RPM, skipping 4th entirely, try not to change speeds often, anticipate lights and generally go 70-75 on the freeway half of our commute.  I must be doing something right.  I generally average 34 MPG in a 50-50 mix of stoplight city driving and crowded freeway driving.

ifcar

Quote from: Byteme on January 24, 2009, 05:28:02 AM

BTW I tried coasting doen from 50 in neutral and in 5th gear.  No difference, the mileage readout went to 99.9 in both cases.

On our fuel economy readouts, we see about 150 mpg coasting in gear in the Focus (depending on speed) and 999 (presumably meaning the fuel supply was cut off) in the Scion, while 250 or so coasting in neutral in either car.

JWC

Keep in mind, the VW is carburetor and I can't skip 4th. 

Danish

Quote from: JWC on January 24, 2009, 07:11:42 AM
Keep in mind, the VW is carburetor and I can't skip 4th. 

Is that because you only have four gears?
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

MrH

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 23, 2009, 10:42:11 AM
Y? The intake + exhaust valves are closed.

He's talking about if they were kept opening and closing...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

cozmik

Hmm, so most people seem to be saying stay in gear. When I keep it in gear, the instating fuel economy gage goes to what I'm going to call infinity, and when I take it out of gear it stay in the 30-50 MPG range. The "infinity" position is also what it stays at when just idling at a stop as well though.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

MX793

Quote from: cozmik on January 25, 2009, 02:00:15 PM
Hmm, so most people seem to be saying stay in gear. When I keep it in gear, the instating fuel economy gage goes to what I'm going to call infinity, and when I take it out of gear it stay in the 30-50 MPG range. The "infinity" position is also what it stays at when just idling at a stop as well though.

Your economy meter compares vehicle speed to fuel flow.  If the vehicle isn't moving, you're not really getting any MPG, so it must just default to the maximum value when it detects that the vehicle is standing still.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

It should show 0 mpg in that case; showing infinite would mean the fuel supply is cut off.

cozmik

Quote from: ifcar on January 25, 2009, 02:12:39 PM
It should show 0 mpg in that case; showing infinite would mean the fuel supply is cut off.

There is no 0 on BMW's fuel economy gage. The lowest it goes to is 12.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Raza

Quote from: cozmik on January 25, 2009, 02:13:53 PM

Heh, my Passat would show "---" when stopped, and go as high as the 300s when I was coasting downhill.  It showed 5 under floored acceleration.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cozmik on January 25, 2009, 02:13:53 PM

Well, regardless of the range of the gauge, if the engine is running, and the car isn't moving, 0 MPG is the only possible accurate reading.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

Quote from: cozmik on January 25, 2009, 02:00:15 PM

In my car, it goes to the "infinity" spot when I'm off the gas (idling and coasting). Mine is an auto though, so I don't know what happens when I put it in neutral.

cozmik

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 25, 2009, 05:19:14 PM
Well, regardless of the range of the gauge, if the engine is running, and the car isn't moving, 0 MPG is the only possible accurate reading.

Right, and it goes to the same position if I'm stopped idling or coasting in gear. 0 MPG would seem impossible if I'm moving though.

r0tor

i do seem to get better gas mileage per my accessport when I bog the shit out of the engine
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed