Which is more fuel efficient?

Started by cozmik, January 21, 2009, 04:34:04 PM

cozmik

So I have a question, which is more fuel efficient, cruising to a stop with the car in gear or out. This is with a manual transmission. My friend is telling me it's better to keep it in gear, but part of me thinks he's wrong because of how many other things he's wrong about.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

93JC

The difference would be pretty much negligible, I think...

heelntoe

i would say that staying in gear saves an ever so little amount of fuel. in neutral, the car is basically idling and still using gas, but in gear, when you're off the throttle, there is no fuel being burned.
@heelntoe

S204STi

This is an ongoing topic of discussion.  My view:

In gear the inertia of the vehicle is keeping the engine running.  Many cars are smart enough to sense it and cut fuel altogether.  In neutral the engine has to feed fuel and air to itself to keep itself running.

MX793

Many cars shut down (or very nearly shut down) the fuel injection under engine braking, which uses less fuel than idling (as you would be if coasting with the tranny in neutral or clutch disengaged).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

JWC

Quote from: R-inge on January 21, 2009, 04:46:44 PM
This is an ongoing topic of discussion.  My view:

In gear the inertia of the vehicle is keeping the engine running.  Many cars are smart enough to sense it and cut fuel altogether.  In neutral the engine has to feed fuel and air to itself to keep itself running.

Quote from: MX793 on January 21, 2009, 04:48:53 PM
Many cars shut down (or very nearly shut down) the fuel injection under engine braking, which uses less fuel than idling (as you would be if coasting with the tranny in neutral or clutch disengaged).

I thought both of those scenarios applied to auto trans more than manual trans.   Might be I'm thinking of the "old days" when we were taught to save gas by avoiding jackrabbit starts and stops.

But, there's something new to learn everyday and computers monitor everything.

r0tor

+1
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ifcar

It depends on the car and the situation.

At home, we have ScanGauge mpg monitors in a 2004 xB and 2005 Focus, both stickshift. In the Scion, the monitor shows fuel supply being cut off when you're in gear and not touching the gas. That's not the case in the Focus, however, which gets better mileage if you take it out of gear.

Another factor to consider is that you don't get engine braking in neutral, so you can coast farther out of gear than in.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris on January 22, 2009, 12:04:53 AM
Well i don't know the answer for this as iam always go confused in selecting one. Well friends i would like to share a website with you, as anyone is going to repaint there car so for your car’s color selection I can suggest you a website from where I buy paints for my Lamborghini. It’s car paint . It has a variety of shades available for all kinds of cars. I am sure even u would love the shades here.

hahaha

SPAM FAIL!!!!!
Will

giant_mtb

Byteme

Our Mazda 3 shows mileage of 99.9 MPG when I take my foot off of the gas and coast in gear.  Tonight I'll try a couple of slow downs coasting in neutral and see what the readout reports.

I think it still uses a tiny bit of fuel even when coasting in gear because as I get really slow the mileage readout changes from 99.9 to 67, then to 34.  Then I'm pushing in the clutch and braking.

Byteme

Quote from: JWC on January 21, 2009, 05:19:24 PM

I thought both of those scenarios applied to auto trans more than manual trans.   Might be I'm thinking of the "old days" when we were taught to save gas by avoiding jackrabbit starts and stops.

But, there's something new to learn everyday and computers monitor everything.

According to Road and Track one should accelerate with large throttle openings and shift early to get into the higher gears at a lower speed.  The large throttle openings reduce pumping loses while the early shifting ensures you aren't burning a bunch of gas at high revs when the car could be perfectly happy at lower revs at the same speed.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Byteme on January 22, 2009, 08:43:28 AM
According to Road and Track one should accelerate with large throttle openings and shift early to get into the higher gears at a lower speed.  The large throttle openings reduce pumping loses while the early shifting ensures you aren't burning a bunch of gas at high revs when the car could be perfectly happy at lower revs at the same speed.
What if you drive Honda

NomisR

Quote from: Byteme on January 22, 2009, 08:43:28 AM

So you take off at WOT and shift immediately to the highest gear? 

MrH

A couple of you are saying that it shuts off fuel injection completely.  To me, that doesn't sound right at all.  That means no combustion.  There's no way it's just pumping air at that point.  The exhaust note would change drastically.  Everything would change.  The car would slow considerably more when combustion isn't happening.

I can see it cutting fuel off a lot, along with air flow, but not completely.  That doesn't even make sense.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

S204STi

Quote from: MrH on January 22, 2009, 02:58:15 PM
A couple of you are saying that it shuts off fuel injection completely.  To me, that doesn't sound right at all.  That means no combustion.  There's no way it's just pumping air at that point.  The exhaust note would change drastically.  Everything would change.  The car would slow considerably more when combustion isn't happening.

I can see it cutting fuel off a lot, along with air flow, but not completely.  That doesn't even make sense.

Let me show you something...

This is a Buick LeSabre, 2005, 3.8L V6 engine.

As you can clearly see, it cuts off fuel on decel.

As for the drastic changes you imagine, well, have you heard and uncorked car decelerating for a turn?  It does in fact sound different.  You just can't hear it most of the time with your muffler installed.  Pumping air isn't a big deal for a car, anyway.  Displacement on demand cars do that in fact.

Raza

Well, you put the clutch in as you come to a stop anyway, so what's the difference? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on January 22, 2009, 03:14:58 PM
Well, you put the clutch in as you come to a stop anyway, so what's the difference? 

I don't put the clutch in till I am nearly to a complete stop.

Byteme

Quote from: NomisR on January 22, 2009, 01:02:00 PM
So you take off at WOT and shift immediately to the highest gear? 

I use a lot of throttle and shift at about 2000-2500 rpm  I usually skip 4th and go from third to fifth.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: R-inge on January 22, 2009, 03:14:46 PM
Let me show you something...

This is a Buick LeSabre, 2005, 3.8L V6 engine.

As you can clearly see, it cuts off fuel on decel.

As for the drastic changes you imagine, well, have you heard and uncorked car decelerating for a turn?  It does in fact sound different.  You just can't hear it most of the time with your muffler installed.  Pumping air isn't a big deal for a car, anyway.  Displacement on demand cars do that in fact.

thought DoD engines shut off the intake/exhaust valves, so that they don't actually pump any air while they're shut off.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

S204STi

Maybe you're right!  I'm not entirely sure.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 22, 2009, 05:56:36 PM
thought DoD engines shut off the intake/exhaust valves, so that they don't actually pump any air while they're shut off.

Unless they're direct injection, they'd have to.  Otherwise, fuel would still be going into the cylinder and if the ignition was shut off, you'd get a bunch of raw gasoline spewing out your tailpipe.  Not to mention the added drag of the piston pumping air (vs being an air spring).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

Quote from: MX793 on January 22, 2009, 06:26:52 PM
Unless they're direct injection, they'd have to.  Otherwise, fuel would still be going into the cylinder and if the ignition was shut off, you'd get a bunch of raw gasoline spewing out your tailpipe.  Not to mention the added drag of the piston pumping air (vs being an air spring).

Or they could just not pump fuel to the cylinder, but that would still lean out the a/f mix in the exhaust.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on January 22, 2009, 03:20:04 PM
I don't put the clutch in till I am nearly to a complete stop.

Interesting.  I put the clutch in when I drop below a speed appropriate for that gear, in case emergency acceleration is needed, that way I can get into gear faster. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on January 22, 2009, 06:43:55 PM
Interesting.  I put the clutch in when I drop below a speed appropriate for that gear, in case emergency acceleration is needed, that way I can get into gear faster. 

I practically always keep the car in the most appropriate gear for the speed I'm travelling and keep the clutch engaged as much as possible.  That way, I don't even need to shift into gear and drop the clutch, I can just step on the gas if the situation calls for acceleration.
Needs more Jiggawatts

MrH

Quote from: R-inge on January 22, 2009, 06:38:40 PM
Or they could just not pump fuel to the cylinder, but that would still lean out the a/f mix in the exhaust.

You'd still have the added drag of pushing the air around.  Better to just shut the valves and let the pistons compress the same air over and over.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

For what it's worth, on the Z06 the DIC tells me I get much better mileage when I coast with the gear out and at idle compared to being in gear with the RPM's up.  I did this experiment sometime during the summer.  With the car in gear and going down a hill the DIC told me I was doing about 60ish MPG.  In neutral and just coast the MPG will jump to 99.

I'm not so sure about the fuel being instantly cut off when you lift off the gas in the Z06.  I mean coming down from high RPMS that's often when the exhaust is often the loudest. 

r0tor

Quote from: Byteme on January 22, 2009, 08:40:01 AM
Our Mazda 3 shows mileage of 99.9 MPG when I take my foot off of the gas and coast in gear.  Tonight I'll try a couple of slow downs coasting in neutral and see what the readout reports.

MY RX-8 reports the same and when looking at the injector pulse width it goes to zilch
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

sportyaccordy

Quote from: R-inge on January 22, 2009, 06:38:40 PM
Y? The intake + exhaust valves are closed.