4 (12.9%)
Honda S2000
6 (19.4%)
Infiniti G35 Coupe
12 (38.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

NomisR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 29, 2009, 09:33:29 AM
They are cheap & smaller than the G which is a plus for me.

But they get the same gas mileage, and put down 80WHP less. I'd be surprised if it were any faster than my Accord. I am sure it's an excellent handler, but I live in NYC... outside of the occasional off ramp or aggressively taken corner, I hate to say it, but handling isn't really that important. This is all I need: 4 seats, good looks, more power than necessary, a nice engine note, a good stereo, a sunroof, a length around 180" and a stickshift. You look at the list of cars I put up... only the G fits the bill

VQ with a good engine note? 

I'd say the Rx8 fits too, you have way more power than necessary to sit around in bumper to bumper traffic, you don't even need an engine to do that.  :lol: 

Length falls a bit short but nothing sounds better than a Rotary engine at WOT.  Even better with no cat!

ChrisV

Quote from: NomisR on January 29, 2009, 10:12:12 AM
Length falls a bit short but nothing sounds better than a Rotary engine at WOT.  Even better with no cat!

While I like rotary engines in cool cars, I'm going to disagree with you here. My RX3 with the Racing Beat header and fairly open exhaust sounded like nothing more than strapping a chainsaw to your shoulder next to your ear and revving it. One of the most ungodly loud and earsplitting rackets in automobiledom. Not pleasant to listen to for any length of time. My rotary race cars, and the ones I crewed for,were all loud SOBs. the Formula Libre that I crewed for had a muffler on it and it was still loud, but when the muffler blew apart (as pretty much any muffler on a ported rotary will tend to do) on the track, it got so loud that you could hear it a long ways away.

In the '70s and early '80s, when drag racers often didn't have mufflers on at the track, the rotary cars were the only ones REQUIRED to have them on.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

NomisR

Quote from: ChrisV on January 29, 2009, 10:45:03 AM
While I like rotary engines in cool cars, I'm going to disagree with you here. My RX3 with the Racing Beat header and fairly open exhaust sounded like nothing more than strapping a chainsaw to your shoulder next to your ear and revving it. One of the most ungodly loud and earsplitting rackets in automobiledom. Not pleasant to listen to for any length of time. My rotary race cars, and the ones I crewed for,were all loud SOBs. the Formula Libre that I crewed for had a muffler on it and it was still loud, but when the muffler blew apart (as pretty much any muffler on a ported rotary will tend to do) on the track, it got so loud that you could hear it a long ways away.

In the '70s and early '80s, when drag racers often didn't have mufflers on at the track, the rotary cars were the only ones REQUIRED to have them on.

Yeah i know, I was kidding about the Rotary with no cat, they scare me.  But the whine of the Rotary is cool though.  Of course you wouldn't be able to hear it w/o a cat.

ChrisV

yea, they don't whine without muffling/cats.

Love the seamless power delivery, however. But get 'em ported and they lose a lot of their smoothness.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

sportyaccordy

I like how FDs sound but that's about it. And I def. wouldn't want to have a turbo'd RX-8 for a DD

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 29, 2009, 09:33:29 AM
They are cheap & smaller than the G which is a plus for me.

But they get the same gas mileage, and put down 80WHP less. I'd be surprised if it were any faster than my Accord. I am sure it's an excellent handler, but I live in NYC... outside of the occasional off ramp or aggressively taken corner, I hate to say it, but handling isn't really that important. This is all I need: 4 seats, good looks, more power than necessary, a nice engine note, a good stereo, a sunroof, a length around 180" and a stickshift. You look at the list of cars I put up... only the G fits the bill

Hmm....

This is pretty much the same place I was in when I had decided on a G35 coupe for my car (this was some time ago, as you can imagine). 

I think since it's an Infiniti branded four place, the lack of driver involvement may be more acceptable (if it does indeed lack the involvement the way the 350Z does below 9/10ths).  It's certainly a good car. 

I'd take the RX-8 and move out of the city, but the G does seem right for you.
:lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on January 29, 2009, 12:43:30 PM
Hmm....

This is pretty much the same place I was in when I had decided on a G35 coupe for my car (this was some time ago, as you can imagine). 

I think since it's an Infiniti branded four place, the lack of driver involvement may be more acceptable (if it does indeed lack the involvement the way the 350Z does below 9/10ths).  It's certainly a good car. 

I'd take the RX-8 and move out of the city, but the G does seem right for you.
:lol:
Out of the city, I would get my girl a beater (w/a sunroof) and prob. get a Z

MrH

I heard a first gen RX-7 (was a GSL-LE I think, the fuel injected one) without nothing but headers on it.  It was absolutely ridiculous.  A friend bought a racing beat exhaust, but they sent him the wrong one.  So in between swapping them out, he drove 2 miles up the road from his house to a parking lot for me to hear.  It was ridiculous.  At first he didn't even rev it above 3,000 RPM and my ears hurt, so I stood back about 30 yards, and plugged my ears.  When he revved it, I could just feel my body shaking.

Rotaries are ridiculous.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TBR

the Teuton

If I want a weed whacker motor, I'll buy a weed whacker.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on January 29, 2009, 06:34:52 PM
If I want a weed whacker motor, I'll buy a weed whacker.

Well, at least it'll be the upgrade from the hamster wheel you've got now.

;)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on January 29, 2009, 07:11:46 PM
Well, at least it'll be the upgrade from the hamster wheel you've got now.

;)

The sad thing is that in a sense, it actually does move like one, and depending on the size of the hamster, it might only have the power of one.

But it's the only 4 banger style that burbles instead of whining.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on January 29, 2009, 08:20:12 PM
The sad thing is that in a sense, it actually does move like one, and depending on the size of the hamster, it might only have the power of one.

Mine whooshes and sounds like half a V8 when pushed hard.

:lol: :ohyeah:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on January 29, 2009, 08:20:12 PM

No one likes the tuna here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UP0WKwMkbo
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on January 29, 2009, 08:25:33 PM
Mine whooshes and sounds like half a V8 when pushed hard.

:lol: :ohyeah:

It doesn't whine at all?  It doesn't sound high strung?  Even a 2.0 is still considered small.

Quote from: NACar on January 29, 2009, 08:25:53 PM
No one likes the tuna here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UP0WKwMkbo

Motorcycles really don't count.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on January 29, 2009, 08:35:27 PM
It doesn't whine at all?  It doesn't sound high strung?  Even a 2.0 is still considered small.

Sure it does. It's not like there hasn't been a few cars with V-4 engines, either.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on January 29, 2009, 08:35:27 PM

Nope.  You push it hard, it just sounds like a scaled down V8.  It's throatier than my raspy 1.8T was.  I miss the rasp, but the car does sound rather nice.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

And then there's this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP30iiI9hw4

turbos always make things sound better

although, the Volvo definitely has more of the typical 4-cyl rasp, it has two 3" dynomax mufflers to keep it quiet

the Teuton

This isn't a really good example, but it sounds a lot deeper than that SRT-4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl3PCxLF-5k

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

sportyaccordy

I could get a decent car w/my down payment....

Dont know if I wanna make this commitment right now after reading "The Savage Truth Abt $$$"

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 31, 2009, 09:26:33 AM
I could get a decent car w/my down payment....

Dont know if I wanna make this commitment right now after reading "The Savage Truth Abt $$$"

Right, so just buy a whole car with your down payment.

Vinsanity

Quote from: NACar on January 31, 2009, 10:20:01 AM
Right, so just buy a whole car with your down payment.

depending on how much that is, he'll probably continue the perpetual cycle you both are on with buying beaters every 6 months

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 31, 2009, 12:38:17 PM
depending on how much that is, he'll probably continue the perpetual cycle you both are on with buying beaters every 6 months

The only reason I wouldn't continue the "perpetual cycle" is if I financed a car and could not afford to sell it due to the negative equity.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: NACar on January 31, 2009, 01:11:18 PM
The only reason I wouldn't continue the "perpetual cycle" is if I financed a car and could not afford to sell it due to the negative equity.
Right...

I can get about 6-7K together for this car. Prelude, 328iS or 240SX.

Eye of the Tiger

TBR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 31, 2009, 01:47:14 PM
Right...

I can get about 6-7K together for this car. Prelude, 328iS or 240SX.

Prelude.

You'll have a hard time getting a decent 328iS or 240SX for that money. The Celica might be worth a look as well.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: TBR on January 31, 2009, 02:41:43 PM
Prelude.

You'll have a hard time getting a decent 328iS or 240SX for that money. The Celica might be worth a look as well.
S14s go for that much & pop up every now and then. I do really like the Prelude though.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 31, 2009, 04:06:34 PM
S14s go for that much & pop up every now and then. I do really like the Prelude though.
Thought you were done with FWD?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R