GM cancels Volt, Cruze engine factory

Started by SVT666, January 28, 2009, 08:57:59 AM

SVT666

GM cancels Volt, Cruze engine factory

General Motors announced last month that it was delaying construction of the Flint, Michigan factory scheduled to produce engines for the upcoming Chevrolet Cruze and Volt, but worsening economic conditions have forced the automaker to cancel the project altogether.

According to ABC12, GM has cancelled all construction contracts for the Flint plan. GM failed to give an official explanation for the cancellation, but it?s quite obvious the struggling automaker just doesn?t have the cash on hand to pay for the $370 million facility.

However, the cancellation doesn?t necessarily mean the city of Flint will miss out on the engine contract. ?Our commitment to the city of Flint hasn?t changed,? GM spokeswoman Sharon Basel said. ?Right now we are looking at all possible options and scenarios.?

Basel hinted that GM could use an existing structure to produce the 1.4L four-cylinder earmarked for use in the Chevy Cruze and Volt. However, GM gave no time table for the project, which could put both vehicles? scheduled launch dates in jeopardy.

the Teuton

I bet it's not much more expensive to import the engines from China or Korea where they are already being produced.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

cozmik

Article I read on Autoblog said they plan on sourcing the engines from Germany, and that initially that's what they planned to do anyways, because the new plant wouldn't have been online for the launch to begin with.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

hotrodalex

These are to two most important cars for GM right now, and they can't even afford them?

It's getting sadder and sadder every day.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Vinsanity

Quote from: NACar on January 28, 2009, 01:14:13 PM
I guess O'bama will have to step in.

He'll need 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish

Submariner

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 28, 2009, 02:35:58 PM
He'll need 5 loaves of bread and 2 fish

He need's no such things.  Not even Jesus holds a candle to him when it comes to healing powers.  ;)
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

TBR

I don't understand why they would be building anything at this point.

Vinsanity

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on January 28, 2009, 11:14:04 PM
And be able to walk on water?  :lol:

Only if GM's health care plan doesn't cover leprosy  ;)