European Review of Mustang GT

Started by BMWDave, May 11, 2005, 11:50:44 AM

BMWDave

Link

Ford Mustang GT Convertible  

n Europe, horses prance on the bonnets of supercars. In America, they gallop. This is the macho attitude that has made Ford's Mustang one of the most enduring motoring legends. But the famous pony cars have never successfully crossed the Atlantic... until now.

Ford's UK bosses have brought over the brand new 300bhp GT Convertible to see how the latest-generation Mustang is received in Britain. Auto Express took the wheel to find out just what the Stateside stallion has to offer.

The first thing blue oval designers are to be congratulated on is the new model's looks. While recent Mustangs have been bland and forgettable, the latest version looks to the past for inspiration. It is not pretty, but it is got more aggression and purpose in its muscular lines than any other car in its class. The straight and simple flanks look even better in convertible form, especially with the plain black hood tucked away behind the rear seats.

But this Mustang is not only about being seen - it is about being heard as well. Under the bonnet, the top-of-the-range GT version comes with a 4.6-litre V8 powerplant delivering 300bhp and emitting the kind of throaty wail that stops people in their tracks.

Passers-by had better look around quickly, too, as the Ford is genuinely fast. Fitted with a five-speed manual gearbox, the flagship V8 charges from 0-60mph in a little over five seconds, and goes on to a top speed of 143mph.

While the transmission is smoother and easier to use than that of the Vauxhall Monaro, it is still way behind the likes of Porsche or even Mazda. The ratios themselves are also very tall - in fifth gear, 70mph equates to just over 2,000rpm - which makes the huge engine feel lazy and unresponsive.

Rather than high-speed track driving, the drop-top is more at home cruising along in comfort, and this is reflected in the suspension. Drive through a tight corner and the soft set-up is alarming at first, but after the initial wallow of body roll the Mustang has plenty of grip - although if you hit a mid-corner bump, a lack of rigidity also causes some body flex. The V8 has enough power to cause rear tyres to lose grip, yet few drivers will find the Convertible intimidating in the dry.

And the Mustang is best enjoyed in the sunshine. After unclipping two catches, the hood folds back electrically. The process takes around 20 seconds, but fitting the manual cover is far more fiddly. The good news is that boot space is unaffected, even if there is only room for a couple of light bags.

Driver and passengers fare better than luggage, however. Considering the Mustang's vast dimensions, it is no surprise that it offers four seats, and even adults can get comfortable in the rear. Everyone sits on soft leather, but some of the other trim will be too familiar to drivers of Ford's family cars. Aside from the retro dials and silver-finished dashboard, much of the remaining switchgear is lifted straight from a Mondeo.

However, buyers are unlikely to feel short-changed. In the US, the GT model is priced at only ?15,859, with the base V6 at a ridiculous ?10,456. If the Convertible makes it to the UK it would cost more, but Ford could still undercut V8 rivals. Will the latest pony car be a success here? We wouldn't bet against it.
Chris Thorp

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Why?

WOW, I am amazed they didn't bash the car. Euro rags seem to bash American cars as much as possible.

ifcar

I certainly wouldn't consider the previous Mustang bland either.

BTW, those are some ludicrous exchange rates. I had no idea that the Euro was worth twice that of the dollar (or they got the numbers wrong).

Catman

I was waiting for the interior ragging, but it was minimal.

MX793

QuoteI certainly wouldn't consider the previous Mustang bland either.

BTW, those are some ludicrous exchange rates. I had no idea that the Euro was worth twice that of the dollar (or they got the numbers wrong).
Their exchange rates are messed up.  The taxation on automobiles is different in the UK than it is in the States.  IIRC, taxes are already factored into their MSRP over there while over here it varies with which state and which county you live in (so MSRP is before taxes).  They likely subtracted UK taxes from the MSRP first and then converted, not realizing that MSRP they were given was likely just the US MSRP converted to Euros with no taxes added.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BMWDave

Their exchange rates are messed up.  The taxation on automobiles is different in the UK than it is in the States.  IIRC, taxes are already factored into their MSRP over there while over here it varies with which state and which county you live in (so MSRP is before taxes).  They likely subtracted UK taxes from the MSRP first and then converted, not realizing that MSRP they were given was likely just the US MSRP converted to Euros with no taxes added.
Europeans get raped on car prices.  They have to pay about double what we have to pay for a car in the US.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

QuoteWOW, I am amazed they didn't bash the car. Euro rags seem to bash American cars as much as possible.
Thats because this Mustang is actually a very appealable car, unlike the tons of vanilla that was coming out from Detroit in the 80s and 90s.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteWOW, I am amazed they didn't bash the car. Euro rags seem to bash American cars as much as possible.
Thats because this Mustang is actually a very appealable car, unlike the tons of vanilla that was coming out from Detroit in the 80s and 90s.
They bashed the Corvette C5, and I'd certainly consider it an appealing car.  

MX793

Europeans get raped on car prices.  They have to pay about double what we have to pay for a car in the US.
Depends on the car.  European cars in Europe aren't that much more than they are here.  Japanese cars, as I recall, are more expensive in Europe.  So are American cars.  But Europeans do pay more in taxes when it comes to buying a car.  Assuming I was correct about the price mixup, they pay something like 18% tax on a new vehicle purchase.  Around the US, I believe it's between 0 and 10% sales tax depending on where you live.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BMWDave

I didnt know that.  I bet they were turned off by the horrific interior.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

I believe that they also thought it was too big.

BMWDave

I believe that they also thought it was too big.
Well, what were they exepecting?  Its an american muscle car, not a Japanese econobox! :rolleyes:  

2007 Honda S2000

Ron From Regina

QuoteI was waiting for the interior ragging, but it was minimal.
I guess I have a little bit of bias, but I think the interior in the new mustang, is pretty good (atleast by mustang standards) if and only if, the car has the optional interior upgrade pacakge. However, this package is somewhat rare, only available on 20-30% of mustangs produced. (Thats part of the reason I had a 4+ month wait for my car).

The interior upgrade has a brushed aluminum dash, along with some other nice features. Without it, it looks more plasticy than my 2002 did.

Without:

With:

(Images liked to the mustang source)

mazda6er

It's surprising to me that they cite the rear leg room as somewhat substantial. By the way, I think the US dollar is about .78 of a Euro.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

QuoteIt's surprising to me that they cite the rear leg room as somewhat substantial. By the way, I think the US dollar is about .78 of a Euro.
Yea, there is no way the Euro is double the dollar.

2007 Honda S2000

GMPenguin

QuoteIt's surprising to me that they cite the rear leg room as somewhat substantial. By the way, I think the US dollar is about .78 of a Euro.
Isn't that the 'pound' sign? :blink: (?15,859)

BMWDave

Yea, that seems about right, considering a GT is about 25K in the US.

2007 Honda S2000

GMPenguin

Yeah, I thought Euro was a '?'.

BMWDave

Yeah, I thought Euro was a '?'.
That is the symbol of the Euro.

2007 Honda S2000

coladin

I think that the Euros "get" the Mustang, more than other American cars.  Just by looking at it, they understand what the car is.  It isn't trying to dethrone BMW.  It isn't trying go after the Range Rover, etc...It is simply a Mustang, an American Icon that looks great, sounds great and has a good ride.  Sure, there are some issues concerning plastic and live axle, but those issues are not important when you plant the throttle.

It seems like cars such as the CTS, Grand Cherokee fall under more scrutiny because they are tryint to breakthrough.

The Mustang is pretty much all on its own.  The fact that they compared the tranny to a Porsche kinda says what group they put this relatively cheap pony car in, right?
2011 C63...2009 R320 BlueTec...GO SCHUMI!

Raza

They should drive the coupe--it should feel different than the convertible.  I've yet to get my hands on one, but soon, hopefully.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteThey should drive the coupe--it should feel different than the convertible.  I've yet to get my hands on one, but soon, hopefully.
are you gonna test drive one soon?  if you do, then write a review Wimmer style :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

QuoteThey should drive the coupe--it should feel different than the convertible.  I've yet to get my hands on one, but soon, hopefully.
are you gonna test drive one soon?  if you do, then write a review Wimmer style :lol:
Eh, Wimmer's overly positive ;)   I'm brutally honest.  Besides, Wim'll think it has too much power, and would rather have one with an 88bhp 4 cylinder engine that they used to use!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteThey should drive the coupe--it should feel different than the convertible.? I've yet to get my hands on one, but soon, hopefully.
Eh, Wimmer's overly positive ;)   I'm brutally honest.  Besides, Wim'll think it has too much power, and would rather have one with an 88bhp 4 cylinder engine that they used to use!
If you do get to test drive one though, then let us in on your thoughts ;)  

2007 Honda S2000

coladin

One thing that the Euros are right about is 5th gear.  It is positively useless and way too low.  I think that when I put in a 4.10 gear, the car will be much more responsive not only in 5th, but in every gear!

Laconian

QuoteOne thing that the Euros are right about is 5th gear.  It is positively useless and way too low.  I think that when I put in a 4.10 gear, the car will be much more responsive not only in 5th, but in every gear!
I don't see this being a problem for maintaining cruising speeds?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

coladin

QuoteOne thing that the Euros are right about is 5th gear.  It is positively useless and way too low.  I think that when I put in a 4.10 gear, the car will be much more responsive not only in 5th, but in every gear!
I don't see this being a problem for maintaining cruising speeds?
The rpms with a 4.10 gear will be on average 450rpm higher in each gear.

Right now the car comes with 3.55 gear, which used to be an "uprade" gear a decade ago.  Mustangs in the late 80s, 90s would come with a 2.73 or 3.08.  Imagine the 2.73 was good for almost 80mph in second! waaaaay to tall.

In 5th gear at 80mph, rpms would rise from 2350 to 2800rpm, which will make the car more responsive in anay gear, as well as slicing aoff a neat .5 in the quarter.