Census: 12 longest commutes

Started by ifcar, February 03, 2009, 06:34:25 AM

Vinsanity

Quote from: YO on February 03, 2009, 05:14:09 PM
can't be a cheap bastard... gotta pay to play...

If you're referring to the toll lanes, you could probably say the same thing about living in the IE in the first place

NomisR

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 03, 2009, 05:21:15 PM
If you're referring to the toll lanes, you could probably say the same thing about living in the IE in the first place

+1

I'd live as far away from the 91 as possible.. especially the IE. 

Vinsanity

Quote from: NomisR on February 03, 2009, 05:27:03 PM
+1

I'd live as far away from the 91 as possible.. especially the IE. 

I live 5 minutes from the closest 91 onramp :mask:

At least I'm on the good side of the mountains. Just barely, though.

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 03, 2009, 07:27:15 AM
Cool.  Maybe they should get a job closer to home.  Maybe they should have gotten a job before choosing where to live.  Or maybe I don't really give a damn if it takes them 43.4 minutes to drive to work.  Kudos to them.  What do they want?

That's easier said than done, unless you make a ton of money.  Residences near employment centers are very expensive in certain parts of the country, so people who aren't at the top of the pay scale must either live in substandard neighborhoods or move toward the outer edges of the metropolitan area.  The real estate boom of the last 10 years intensified the problem.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

YO

I represent the OC baby...

I only used my pass when I went golfing in Corona or Temucala...

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 03, 2009, 05:21:15 PM
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

Byteme

Quote from: MX793 on February 03, 2009, 04:56:06 PM
Yup, I commute an hour (one way) but it's really not too bad because I spend close to 50 minutes of it cruising on the highway.  I'm not sure I'd say it's pleasurable, but it's not as bad as one might think.

Our commute (my wife and I carpool) involves a 10 mile stretch of HOV lane.  In Houston the HOV lanes are a single lane with shoulders wide enough to get around a dead car and they are separated from the normal lanes by concrete barriers.  A couple of times we've driven the Jag to work and got on an empty HOV lane in the early afternoon going home.  No way for cops to get you, no traffic in the lane.  I've hit double the speed limit (120) on the straight stretches.  Sometimes commutes can be a hoot.   :lol:

YO

in the ATL, cops are all over the HOV lanes

Quote from: Byteme on February 03, 2009, 08:43:11 PM
Our commute (my wife and I carpool) involves a 10 mile stretch of HOV lane.  In Houston the HOV lanes are a single lane with shoulders wide enough to get around a dead car and they are separated from the normal lanes by concrete barriers.  A couple of times we've driven the Jag to work and got on an empty HOV lane in the early afternoon going home.  No way for cops to get you, no traffic in the lane.  I've hit double the speed limit (120) on the straight stretches.  Sometimes commutes can be a hoot.   :lol:
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

Vinsanity

Quote from: YO on February 03, 2009, 08:33:30 PM
I represent the OC baby...

I only used my pass when I went golfing in Corona or Temucala...

So do I. Heading east, you aren't going anywhere anytime soon without that EZ pass

NomisR

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 03, 2009, 10:08:26 PM
So do I. Heading east, you aren't going anywhere anytime soon without that EZ pass

I still don't understand why 91 gets so backed up.. is it because of the hill plus the big sweeping curves that makes people step on their brakes for no reason slowing down traffic?

hotrodalex

Quote from: NomisR on February 04, 2009, 09:57:09 AM
I still don't understand why 91 gets so backed up.. is it because of the hill plus the big sweeping curves that makes people step on their brakes for no reason slowing down traffic?

Because people are a bunch of idiots and most shouldn't have a license.

Vinsanity

Quote from: NomisR on February 04, 2009, 09:57:09 AM

Thankfully, I don't head eastbound that often, but my best guess is bottleneck traffic from all the cars coming in from the 241 and the 71...

YO

my old commute was from Fullerton to Yorba Linda... it was quiker taking Yorba Linda Blvd to the 91

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 04, 2009, 10:41:52 AM
Thankfully, I don't head eastbound that often, but my best guess is bottleneck traffic from all the cars coming in from the 241 and the 71...
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

sandertheshark

Quote from: YO on February 04, 2009, 11:17:04 AM
my old commute was from Fullerton to Yorba Linda... it was quiker taking Yorba Linda Blvd to the 91

Try driving east past Weir Canyon on the 91 any time after 5PM and tell me that still rocks.

While you're at it, try using SAC and La Palma to Gypsum to get around it.

That freeway is just about the worst bottleneck on the entire West Coast.

Colonel Cadillac

The places with long average commutes probably have very good train and public transportation access.

YO

there is a train going up the 91 from Fullerton...

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on February 05, 2009, 09:37:24 AM
The places with long average commutes probably have very good train and public transportation access.
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

ifcar

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on February 05, 2009, 09:37:24 AM

I know the two on that list in Maryland don't. Their only public transportation is buses, and both are largely suburban sprawl that makes bus transit difficult.