Census: 12 longest commutes

Started by ifcar, February 03, 2009, 06:34:25 AM

ifcar

Residents in the following places had the longest average daily commutes in the country: (the DC area and New Jersey were the big winners)

1. Linton Hall, Va: 46.3 minutes (each direction)
2. Marlboro, NJ: 46.0 minutes
3. Poinciana, Fla: 44.0 minutes
4. Tracey, Calif: 43.8 minutes
5. Vernon, NJ: 43.4 minutes
6. Brentwood, Calif: 43.4 minutes
7. Manalapan, NJ: 42.7 minutes
8. Fort Washington, Md: 42.5 minutes
9. West Windsor, NJ: 42.1 minutes
10. Los Bonos, Calif: 41.8 minutes
11. Clinton, Md: 41.7 minutes
12. Dale City, Va: 41.3 minutes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/02/AR2009020203353.html

Byteme

Quote from: ifcar on February 03, 2009, 06:34:25 AM
Residents in the following places had the longest average daily commutes in the country: (the DC area and New Jersey were the big winners)

1. Linton Hall, Va: 46.3 minutes (each direction)
2. Marlboro, NJ: 46.0 minutes
3. Poinciana, Fla: 44.0 minutes
4. Tracey, Calif: 43.8 minutes
5. Vernon, NJ: 43.4 minutes
7. Manalapan, NJ: 42.7 minutes
8. Fort Washington, Md: 42.5 minutes
9. West Windsor, NJ: 42.1 minutes
10. Los Bonos, Calif: 41.8 minutes
11. Clinton, Md: 41.7 minutes
12. Dale City, Va: 41.3 minutes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/02/AR2009020203353.html

I wonder what the average distances are for those 10 commutes?  40+ minutes behind the wheel can be somewhat of a pleasure or a pain in the butt depending on what you are doing during that time.

ifcar

Quote from: Byteme on February 03, 2009, 07:01:05 AM
I wonder what the average distances are for those 10 commutes?  40+ minutes behind the wheel can be somewhat of a pleasure or a pain in the butt depending on what you are doing during that time.

I know in DC it comes largely from congestion.

Remember that these are offset by people who have tiny or no daily commute, leaving many people with well over an hour each way.

giant_mtb

Cool.  Maybe they should get a job closer to home.  Maybe they should have gotten a job before choosing where to live.  Or maybe I don't really give a damn if it takes them 43.4 minutes to drive to work.  Kudos to them.  What do they want?

TBR

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 03, 2009, 07:27:15 AM
Cool.  Maybe they should get a job closer to home.  Maybe they should have gotten a job before choosing where to live.  Or maybe I don't really give a damn if it takes them 43.4 minutes to drive to work.  Kudos to them.  What do they want?

Not really an option for someone who works in DC.

giant_mtb

Quote from: TBR on February 03, 2009, 07:36:39 AM
Not really an option for someone who works in DC.

That still doesn't change my opinion.  What do they want us to do?  Give them free headphones or something?  So you drive to work.  Big deal.  I don't care.  Work somewhere else if you don't like it.

TBR

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 03, 2009, 07:39:28 AM
That still doesn't change my opinion.  What do they want us to do?  Give them free headphones or something?  So you drive to work.  Big deal.  I don't care.  Work somewhere else if you don't like it.

They don't expect you to do anything, it's just a study :huh:

ifcar

In the DC area, the closest thing to nice affordable housing is in Prince George's County, Md., (represented by Fort Washington and Clinton on the list) while many of the regional jobs are in Virginia. And getting across the Potomac during rush hour is hell.

3.0L V6

I'm suprised that more California isn't more highly represented on the list.

ChrisV

Cool.  Maybe they should get a job closer to home.  Maybe they should have gotten a job before choosing where to live. 

Dude. Dude. A lot of us DID get the job before choosing where to live, and where to live was based on overall costs. Driving an hour or so to save a couple hundred grand on yourhouse is a normal thing. Plus, you might prefer the schools where you live vs ones closer to work.

My normal commute is a mere 15 minutes, but when I went to DC for training (only 50 miles away) it took me over 3 HOURS to get home.

Traffic around here can be insane. But, MD (espcially the areas around DC, has one of the highest per-capita incomes in the nation, so people make the sacrifice of commuting for a little longer. (I work at Social Security HQ in Woodlawn, MD, and a number of people commute down from PA, a couple hours away)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

YO

I did 65 miles one way through the sticks last summer vs 41 miles one way through the city.... the summer commute was 10 minutes quicker...
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

giant_mtb

Quote from: ChrisV on February 03, 2009, 08:29:42 AM
Dude. Dude. A lot of us DID get the job before choosing where to live, and where to live was based on overall costs. Driving an hour or so to save a couple hundred grand on yourhouse is a normal thing. Plus, you might prefer the schools where you live vs ones closer to work.

My normal commute is a mere 15 minutes, but when I went to DC for training (only 50 miles away) it took me over 3 HOURS to get home.

Traffic around here can be insane. But, MD (espcially the areas around DC, has one of the highest per-capita incomes in the nation, so people make the sacrifice of commuting for a little longer. (I work at Social Security HQ in Woodlawn, MD, and a number of people commute down from PA, a couple hours away)

I've nothing against people that commute...I just think this is a really pointless "study".  What are we to conclude?  The city that has the longest average commute has the largest penis?

Tave

Quote from: ifcar on February 03, 2009, 07:51:54 AM
In the DC area, the closest thing to nice affordable housing is in Prince George's County, Md., (represented by Fort Washington and Clinton on the list) while many of the regional jobs are in Virginia. And getting across the Potomac during rush hour is hell.

Arlington, Fairfax? My aunt and uncle had a pretty nice pad in McLean.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

YO

exactly. Thank you.

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 03, 2009, 09:16:35 AM
I've nothing against people that commute...I just think this is a really pointless "study".  What are we to conclude?  The city that has the longest average commute has the largest penis?
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

TBR

Most studies are pointless.

NomisR

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on February 03, 2009, 08:02:23 AM
I'm suprised that more California isn't more highly represented on the list.

Because people try to live within 30 mins driving distance from there work.  But that means you live within 5 miles of your work since traffic is bad.  Plus, it seems like it's an average commute time for everyone in the city so if a lot of people are working cloth, it washes out those that works far away. 

And it's Los Banos, CA... the bathroom of California. 

ifcar

Quote from: Tave on February 03, 2009, 09:29:48 AM
Arlington, Fairfax? My aunt and uncle had a pretty nice pad in McLean.

McLean median home value: $864,000.

YO

MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

giant_mtb

Quote from: YO on February 03, 2009, 10:43:57 AM
the giant penis part

...why did you just quote yourself?  Your own clarification? lol

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on February 03, 2009, 06:34:25 AM

Although that's about how long it takes to go from there to downtown LA during rush hour, I would think that most people who live in Brentwood work in the neighboring cities of Santa Monica, Westwood, or Beverly Hills.

I'm surprised Riverside or Corona aren't on the list.

Tave

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 03, 2009, 10:51:26 AM

Don't remind me. I'd successfully repressed that painful memory.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

NomisR

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 03, 2009, 10:51:26 AM
Although that's about how long it takes to go from there to downtown LA during rush hour, I would think that most people who live in Brentwood work in the neighboring cities of Santa Monica, Westwood, or Beverly Hills.

Yeah, but I have coworkers that have to commute 2 + hours to get into work.  But I think there's a high enough population that works in the Inland Empire that makes up for that. 

ChrisV

I just think this is a really pointless "study".  What are we to conclude? 

It may point out to people areas where you may find good paying jobs, but not really find afordable living close by, so you can make a rational decision about those places. I looked at info lik this when choosing where to live vis a vis my own job.

It might also point out areas where you will use more gasoline on your commute, affecting choice of car in those areas.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Rich

If I get Andrews AFB next I'll be pissed
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Tave

Quote from: ChrisV on February 03, 2009, 11:12:56 AM
It may point out to people areas where you may find good paying jobs, but not really find afordable living close by, so you can make a rational decision about those places. I looked at info lik this when choosing where to live vis a vis my own job.

It might also point out areas where you will use more gasoline on your commute, affecting choice of car in those areas.

Or areas that need better highways.

YO

the 91 freeway rocks!

Quote from: Tave on February 03, 2009, 11:05:27 AM
Don't remind me. I'd successfully repressed that painful memory.
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

Vinsanity

Quote from: YO on February 03, 2009, 11:52:45 AM
the 91 freeway rocks!

:nutty:

well, maybe when you're on the toll/express lanes

MX793

Quote from: Byteme on February 03, 2009, 07:01:05 AM

Yup, I commute an hour (one way) but it's really not too bad because I spend close to 50 minutes of it cruising on the highway.  I'm not sure I'd say it's pleasurable, but it's not as bad as one might think.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

NomisR

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 03, 2009, 12:35:02 PM
:nutty:

well, maybe when you're on the toll/express lanes

Ignore him, he's always been kinda off.

YO

can't be a cheap bastard... gotta pay to play...

Quote from: NomisR on February 03, 2009, 04:57:11 PM
Ignore him, he's always been kinda off.
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS