Mulally thanks Fusion buyer

Started by SVT666, February 03, 2009, 12:12:55 PM

SVT666

Mulally personally thanks Fusion Hybrid buyer

It?s not uncommon for a salesperson or dealership manager to personally thank new car buyers with a phone call - but to have the CEO of the automaker pick up the phone himself? That?s what Ford CEO Alan Mulally did when he learned that a Grand Rapids, Michigan, lawyer chose to buy a Fusion Hybrid over a Toyota Prius.

?Hi Mike, it?s Alan Mulally from Ford,? the voicemail to Grand Rapids lawyer Michael Snapper began. Mulally congratulated Snapper on the purchase and thanked him for his support of the Dearborn, Michigan, automaker.
Snapper says that he hopes ?saying some nice things? about the Fusion Hybrid moves him up on the wait list. The Fusion Hybrid is set to arrive in showrooms in March.

TBR

That's really weird, why this guy?

cawimmer430

Damn. That's what I call "desperation". Good PR is everything now!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

Quote from: TBR on February 03, 2009, 12:14:20 PM
That's really weird, why this guy?
...because he decided to buy the Fusion Hybrid rather than the Prius he had planned to.

Mulally is a pretty clever guy.  Just look at all the press he got out of this one little gesture.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

TBR

the Teuton

Mullaly wants to see his company succeed.  This isn't a bad gesture and it doesn't look too desperate, either.

It's smart.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

FoMoJo

Quote from: TBR on February 03, 2009, 12:43:20 PM
And he's the only one?

It doesn't matter.

I expect that the gesture had been reported to the press as soon as the guy got the phone call.

Quote from: the Teuton on February 03, 2009, 12:51:37 PM
Mullaly wants to see his company succeed.  This isn't a bad gesture and it doesn't look too desperate, either.

It's smart.

Hardly desperate and very smart.  It sends a positive message to the public that the domestics have vehicles worth waiting for.  This is far more important in changing public perception than paying for high-priced commercials that no one takes seriously.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Speed_Racer

And this lawyer is going to give good PR to his friends, maybe convincing more to purchase Fusion hybrids over Prius.

Payman

The guy's name is Snapper?  :lol:  No wonder Al wanted to call him.

GoCougs

Meh - Ford has yet to belly up to the trough of Big Government, so why not?

SVT666

Despite the fact that I really want a G8 GT, I think if I was buying a brand new car, I would buy a Ford for the simple reason that they have said no to government money.  Buying used, I will buy the G8 though.

Payman

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 03, 2009, 10:15:03 PM
Despite the fact that I really want a G8 GT, I think if I was buying a brand new car, I would buy a Ford for the simple reason that they have said no to government money.  Buying used, I will buy the G8 though.

According to Motor Trend, they're not accepting the loans... not because they don't need to... but because in accepting the loans, they cannot payout dividends to their shareholders. Dividends are the main source of income for the Ford family.

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 03, 2009, 10:15:03 PM

It's not your tax money that's supporting the car companies.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

3.0L V6

Quote from: the Teuton on February 03, 2009, 10:21:47 PM

Yeah, GM turned down Canada's loans.

Payman

No? The Canadian gov't ponied up nearly 5 billion for them. Per capita, that would be equivalent to your gov't giving them 50 billion.

Payman

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on February 03, 2009, 10:25:00 PM
Yeah, GM turned down Canada's loans.

Remember what I said about the Camaro being stillborn? GM is going to pull out of Canada.

the Teuton

So which one of you is distorting the truth?

The Pirate

Canadian market absorbed some bailout cost too, I believe.  I'll try to find the article.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Payman

Quote from: the Teuton on February 03, 2009, 10:27:20 PM
So which one of you is distorting the truth?

Neither. The gov't is pushing the money at them, but I guess since GM is leaving Canada, they don't want any strings holding them here.

3.0L V6

the Teuton

Quote from: Payman on February 03, 2009, 10:29:15 PM
Neither. The gov't is pushing the money at them, but I guess since GM is leaving Canada, they don't want any strings holding them here.

With the exception of NUMMI, Canada used to be home to the best manufacturing facilities GM had.

280Z Turbo

I saw this on the local news last night. I didn't think it was national news!

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/Ford_CEO_personally_thanks_GR_buyer

Payman

The federal government of Canada and the provincial government of Ontario agreed on Friday to supplement any aid package automakers receive in the United States by about 20 percent. Tony Clement, the federal industry minister, told reporters Friday evening that ?If the United States comes forward boldly for the auto industry, we also need to be at the table for Canadian production.??The federal and the Ontario governments are prepared to move quickly if and when the Americans approve a support package,?

The negotiations between the CAW and the government have been going on behind closed doors and been kept secret until now. There has been no official announcement of the dollar amounts that have been discussed but a report by the New York times said Friday that ?officials, who spoke on condition they not be identified because of nondisclosure agreements, confirmed Canadian news media reports that the amount totaled about 6 billion Canadian dollars, or $4.8 billion US. Only the Ford of Canada has sketched out its request for help, a standby line of credit worth 2 billion Canadian dollars.
News reports have indicated that Chrysler Canada, which apparently asked for about 1.6 billion Canadian dollars, threatened to close its two Ontario assembly plants (one in Windsor and the other in Brampton), which employ 8,000, if it did not receive help from Canada. Production at those plants would be moved to the United States. The United Autoworkers and the Canadian Autoworkers split in the 1970?s and have separate and independent labor agreements.

3.0L V6

Quote from: the Teuton on February 03, 2009, 10:31:06 PM
With the exception of NUMMI, Canada used to be home to the best manufacturing facilities GM had.

Currency fluctuations can hurt or benefit any product produced here. GM is under significant pressure to save jobs in the United States. Canada simply can't offer the same backing the US gov't can.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Payman on February 03, 2009, 10:20:56 PM
According to Motor Trend, they're not accepting the loans... not because they don't need to... but because in accepting the loans, they cannot payout dividends to their shareholders. Dividends are the main source of income for the Ford family.
Ford still has $10 billion + cash to draw on, from their loans made a couple of years ago, so they are not in the desperate shape that the other 2 domestics are.  However, if they continue to burn cash through-out '09, they soon will be.

SVT666

Quote from: Payman on February 03, 2009, 10:29:15 PM
That's a rumour.  I watched the news last night and an industry analyst says GM just can't afford to pull out of Canada at this time.

hotrodalex

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 04, 2009, 10:16:05 AM
That's a rumour.  I watched the news last night and an industry analyst says GM just can't afford to pull out of Canada at this time.

How could they pull out? I doubt they could move production to another facility easily.

SVT666

If they had accepted the Canadian bailout, it would have been.  I still want to support a company that isn't relying on tax dollars, no matter who those tax dollars come from.

3.0L V6

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 04, 2009, 10:26:06 AM
How could they pull out? I doubt they could move production to another facility easily.

The Oshawa Car plant only produces Impala and LaCrosse at this point. Since the W-body is near the end of it's life, they may not bring the new platform to Oshawa. They're supposed to bring the Camaro on-line, but that remains up in the air with GM's current problems.

That leaves CAMI, which is in Ingersoll, which produces the Equinox, Torrent, and Suzuki XL7 crossovers (Theta platform). Since GM already has a plant that produces Vues, they can potentially move production elsewhere and shut this one down also.

3.0L V6

Then they could shut down Oshawa Metal and St. Catharines components and that's pretty much all the factories they have.

Windsor Transmission is already being shut in 2010.
St. Catharines engine/transmission closed in 2008.
Oshawa Truck assembly is gone in 2009.