Chrysler and GM sales cut in half in January

Started by ifcar, February 03, 2009, 02:47:27 PM

Vinsanity

How did Hyundai manage to double Sonata sales? Is everyone suddenly scrambling to buy the cheapest decent midsize sedan?

3.0L V6

Who would've thought that flooding the market with 17+ million vehicles a year from 2001 and making no profit on it would've bit the automakers in the ass eventually?

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 03, 2009, 02:54:11 PM
How did Hyundai manage to double Sonata sales? Is everyone suddenly scrambling to buy the cheapest decent midsize sedan?

CNN credits the new "assurance plan," but that doesn't explain why just Sonata sales are up. Maybe people have just smartened up?

Submariner

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 03, 2009, 02:54:11 PM

Too bad they are still down nearly 50%
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

TBR

Quote from: Submariner on February 03, 2009, 05:35:22 PM
Too bad they are still down nearly 50%

Whose down nearly 50%? Hyundai is up 14.3%, by far the most of any manufacturer (Kia and Subaru being the only other two not in the red).

Submariner

Quote from: TBR on February 03, 2009, 05:46:58 PM
Whose down nearly 50%? Hyundai is up 14.3%, by far the most of any manufacturer (Kia and Subaru being the only other two not in the red).

Wait what?  The numbers out last month had them WAYYYYYY down. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Vinsanity

Quote from: Submariner on February 03, 2009, 06:02:21 PM
Wait what?  The numbers out last month had them WAYYYYYY down. 

Those were 2008 numbers. The +14% is Jan.2009 vs. Jan.2008. This makes me wonder if there might've been some sort of supply issue last year, because I also remember reading that the Genesis is selling "according to expectations"

the Teuton

I had heard Hyundai and Subaru were the only two manufacturers in the black.  Any truth?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on February 03, 2009, 06:16:12 PM
I had heard Hyundai and Subaru were the only two manufacturers in the black.  Any truth?
Kia is partly in black as well, overall sales are up but sales per day are down.

Nethead

'Tough times to be sellin' vehicles for a living. 

The Dodge Ram has taken a big, big dive--I thought the Tundra had overtaken the Ram, or was that just in total sales in 2008?  "That thang got a Hemi innit?" may be hurting more than helping in 2009--the Ghost of Excess Past...

Otherwise, I see no surprises in the top ten sellers, nor in their relative rankings.  The lack of a Tundra in the top ten sorta makes Toyota's claim that their trucks will outsell Chevrolet trucks by the end of the 2010 model year look sorta lame, huh?

So many stairs...so little time...

ifcar

Quote from: Nethead on February 05, 2009, 11:37:30 AM
'Tough times to be sellin' vehicles for a living. 

The Dodge Ram has taken a big, big dive--I thought the Tundra had overtaken the Ram, or was that just in total sales in 2008?  "That thang got a Hemi innit?" may be hurting more than helping in 2009--the Ghost of Excess Past...

Otherwise, I see no surprises in the top ten sellers, nor in their relative rankings.  The lack of a Tundra in the top ten sorta makes Toyota's claim that their trucks will outsell Chevrolet trucks by the end of the 2010 model year look sorta lame, huh?

Toyota trucks outsold Dodge trucks last year, with the combined Tacoma and Tundra doing better than the combined Dakota and Ram. The Tundra has never been close to Ram sales, and to my knowledge has never been on the top-ten seller list.

Nethead

Quote from: ifcar on February 05, 2009, 11:56:04 AM
Toyota trucks outsold Dodge trucks last year, with the combined Tacoma and Tundra doing better than the combined Dakota and Ram. The Tundra has never been close to Ram sales, and to my knowledge has never been on the top-ten seller list.

Ahhh!  There's the answer!  Good work, ifcar!
So many stairs...so little time...