Short Take: 2004 Suburban

Started by Tave, February 03, 2009, 03:27:39 PM

Tave

This weekend I attended a buyer's market with some friends who are starting a clothing line. Somehow, I got the honor of driving my ex-roomate's mother's Suburban, for about 50 miles or so around the city.

What impressed me most about the vehicle was its maneuverability. Granted, it's a big car that takes up a lot of room and requires well-planned lines, but the difference between it and, say, our 3/4 Dodge worktrucks or my roomate's Chevy 2500 is night and day. Turn in is crisp and the handling is appropriately weighted (gives decent feedback but is light enough to muscle the beast around). Suspension worked well, soaking up the bumps and potholes and road imperfections; but the body roll was excessive, even for a car of its size. I suspect the spring rates were adjusted for a pleasant ride. A Chevy pickup of that size would roll less but ride harsher.

Power was excellent, and I caught myself playing a little game of cat-and-mouse with my roomate. He said he looked in his rearview and saw me spitting dust from the back wheels. :rockon: His girlfriend complained that I drive like a grandma. :(

I hadn't ridden in a Suburban for years. I've always prefered smaller SUVs and thought the Suburban was overkill. This ride definately had me rethinking that opinion. If I had a family of 4 and the means, it'd be on my short list of people-haulers. I bet you can find some great deals on them right now (they've always been so damned expensive).

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

J86

Suburban's are sweet.  Great regatta cars.

ifcar

Of course, a large car-based vehicle (SUV or van) would have as much interior space (more, in van) and offer better maneuverability and driving dynamics, plus a lower price and better mileage.

They're nice if you need the heavy-duty capability instead of just the size, though.

S204STi

Indeed, the Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban are amazingly agile vehicles for their size, and GM powertrains are some of the best in the business in terms of sheer hustle.

GoCougs

Suburbans will have distinct advantages: rear coil springs relative to the rear leafs on a GM 3/4-ton, IFS relative to the live axle on a Dodge 3/4-ton, and depending on the years of those trucks, rack-n-pinion steering.

Tave

I was just tossing those out as two examples. I have seat time in a lot of trucks and SUVs, and the Suburban just struck me as very nimble for how large it was.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on February 04, 2009, 01:34:34 PM
I was just tossing those out as two examples. I have seat time in a lot of trucks and SUVs, and the Suburban just struck me as very nimble for how large it was.

It'll also have a stiffer chassis owing to a contiguous body the entire length of the frame, unlike a truck.

J86

Quote from: Tave on February 04, 2009, 01:34:34 PM

Personally, I find the steering to actually be a bit too light...it doesn't convey the size of the vehicle!

the Teuton

I'm going to have to drive one to NY sometime soon.  It's good to know it's not a terrible drive.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

J86

perfect highway cruiser.  I drove an 02 (or thereabouts) 6.5 hours back from VT coupla weekends ago.

CJ

I drove a similar one a few weeks ago.  Very nice truck.

the Teuton

I get to drive a pimptyte 2004 Yukon XL with TVs in it in a few weeks.

The person to whom it belong's dad owns a brand new Yukon Denali XL, and it's absolutely gorgeous.  Their family likes Yukaburbans and eccentric cars like Saabs and Subarus.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!