Three offers to buy Viper

Started by SVT666, February 04, 2009, 09:10:02 AM

SVT666

Chrysler: Three offers to buy Viper

Chrysler has been quietly attempting to jettison its high-performance Dodge Viper lineup in a bid to raise much-needed cash and, according to the company?s top PR man, co-President Jim Press, the Michigan-based automaker has had three offers to purchase the Viper line.

?We?re doing due diligence,? Press said in a conference call with reporters to discuss the automaker?s January sales.

Ironically, Viper sales were up substantially in January.

Press said that the Viper line won?t likely be sold off in time for the automaker?s March 31 deadline with the federal government. Chrysler must be capable of demonstrating its long-term viability by the end of March in order to retain the $4 billion loan from the U.S. government.

?We don?t anticipate it will be done by then,? Press said.

Sale of the Viper line would likely include the Detroit factory that hand-assembles each Viper. The factory employs 110 workers.

giant_mtb

I don't find it "ironic" that Viper sales were up.  Enthusiasts know the end could very well be near...so why not snatch one up before they're gone for good?  Makes perfect sense to me. :huh:

Sad, either way...I'd hate to see Vipers go away forever or become total crap via some third-party whack-o. 

NomisR

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 04, 2009, 01:50:58 PM
I don't find it "ironic" that Viper sales were up.  Enthusiasts know the end could very well be near...so why not snatch one up before they're gone for good?  Makes perfect sense to me. :huh:

Sad, either way...I'd hate to see Vipers go away forever or become total crap via some third-party whack-o. 

Don't think of it that way, it may become like what Caterham did with the Seven

giant_mtb

Quote from: NomisR on February 04, 2009, 02:53:42 PM
Don't think of it that way, it may become like what Caterham did with the Seven

I can certainly hope so.

SVT666

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 04, 2009, 01:50:58 PM

I wouldn't mind Viper becoming it's own brand.  I just hope it doesn't turn into a Ferrari or Lamborghini.  I want it to stay crude and rude.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

BimmerM3

I could live with a SMS Viper. However, there are few cars in the world that look better than a 1st gen Viper GTS, and that will be a highly sought collectors car regardless of what happens to Chrysler.

SVT666

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 04, 2009, 05:45:34 PM
I could live with a SMS Viper. However, there are few cars in the world that look better than a 1st gen Viper GTS, and that will be a highly sought collectors car regardless of what happens to Chrysler.
The Viper GTS is right near the top of my all time favourite cars.

It would be fitting if Shelby bought the Viper, as he had a big hand in its original development and the Shelby Cobra was the inspiration for the RT/10 and the Cobra Daytona was the inspiration for the GTS.

SVT666

Quote from: 565 on February 04, 2009, 06:49:35 PM
It would be fitting if Shelby bought the Viper, as he had a big hand in its original development and the Shelby Cobra was the inspiration for the RT/10 and the Cobra Daytona was the inspiration for the GTS.
I don't think he has enough money to buy Viper.