Pensioner gears up for 772nd driving test

Started by NomisR, February 05, 2009, 12:49:38 PM

NomisR

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/02/05/korea.driving.license/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

SEOUL, South Korea (CNN) -- One could say she has the determination ... but lacks the drive.

Driving agency estimates woman has spent more than $2,888 in exam fees.

A 68-year-old South Korean woman this week signed up to take her driving test once again -- after failing to earn a license the first 771 times.

The woman, identified only as Cha, first took the written portion of the exam in April 2005, said Choi Young-cheol of the Driver's License Agency in the southwestern city of Jeonju.

At the time, she made her living selling goods door-to-door and figured she would need a car to help her get around, Choi told CNN.

She failed the test. She retook the test the next day and failed again. And again. And again.

"You have to get at least 60 points to pass the written part," said Kim Rahn, who wrote about the unflappable woman in the Korea Times, an English-language daily. "She usually gets under 50."

In the beginning, Cha went to the license office almost every day. Now, she no longer works but still turns up once a week, Choi said.

The office estimates she has spent more than 4 million won ($2,888) in exam fees.

Cha's last failed attempt was Monday.

She tries for the 772nd time either Thursday or Friday. E-mail to a friend  | Mixx it | Share
-- CNN's Kathy Paik and Saeed Ahmed contributed to this report.

How many of you thinks she would have gotten her license if she took her test here?

Tave

Quote from: NomisR on February 05, 2009, 12:49:38 PM
How many of you thinks she would have gotten her license if she took her test here?

Strangely enough, I lack intimate knowledge of South Korea's licensing standards. :evildude:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

L. ed foote

I'm sure there's an Asian driver joke in there somewhere :lol:
Member, Self Preservation Society

Byteme

You would think that by now she would have every question and the answer memorized.

NomisR

Quote from: Byteme on February 05, 2009, 01:37:01 PM
You would think that by now she would have every question and the answer memorized.

Yeah, if she does this poorly in the written test, I hate to see her out on the road.

93JC

Quote from: L. ed foote on February 05, 2009, 01:22:52 PM
I'm sure there's an Asian driver joke in there somewhere :lol:

Nah man, triple-whammy of jokes:

1) Old
2) Asian
3) Woman

2o6

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on February 05, 2009, 05:27:10 PM
Spongebob, much?

No way, dude. This old lady is nowhere near as cool as Spongebob.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)