Has the auto market finally bottomed out?

Started by SVT666, February 05, 2009, 01:57:31 PM

SVT666

Has the auto market finally bottomed out?

The U.S. new car market was down 37 percent in January, but several automakers are optimistic that sales have finally hit rock bottom. In fact, a few even think the market has stabilized, with sales increases just a few months away.

New car sales totaled just 656,976 units in January, translating to a seasonally adjusted annual selling rate (SAAR) of 9.57 million vehicles. That?s well below the traditional 14 million to 17 million SAAR automakers have become accustom to, but there could be signs that the auto market is bottoming out.

During the month of January sales declined 48.9 percent for General Motors, 54.8 percent for Chrysler and 40.3 percent for Ford, but those hefty losses also include fleet sales. Both GM and Chrysler cut their fleet sales by 80 percent, with Ford reducing fleet sales by 65 percent. Those fleet sale cuts were factored in to the automaker?s overall January sales, resulting in the massive losses.

?The retail market was pretty steady over the last three months of 2008 and it appeared to remain so in January,? George Pipas, Ford?s sales analyst, told the Detroit Free Press. ?Lower fleet sales account for almost all of the decline from December to January.? Ford?s share of the retail market was actually up to 12.7 percent in January, a 0.3 percent increase over January 2008.

Industry experts expect fleet sales to total 3.55 million units in 2009, down 1.3 million vehicle from a year earlier.
It remains to be seen if January was truly the bottom for auto sales, but there appears to be at least a little movement in the upward direction. GM?s GMAC financial arm financed 5,000 vehicles in January, up from zero in December. Automakers are also hopeful that the government?s bailout of the financial sector will finally free up some credit, although many buyers are still finding it hard to secure a lender.

Tave

At this point, I think it's going to depend on what happens with the rest of the economy.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

FoMoJo

Let's hope so.

We'll know in a couple of months.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Payman

Not too optimistic about it. People are hanging on to their cars longer.

Onslaught

God I hope so. Working or I should say lack of working on cars these days sucks a big one.

the Teuton

Quote from: Onslaught on February 05, 2009, 05:45:35 PM
God I hope so. Working or I should say lack of working on cars these days sucks a big one.

At the Bimmer dealership, there were always high end cars in the body shop from RS4s to M3s.  You're really seeing that big of a downturn in business?

Admittedly, people are driving a little less, but accidents still happen.  Where do people go if not to you?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: the Teuton on February 05, 2009, 05:48:10 PM
At the Bimmer dealership, there were always high end cars in the body shop from RS4s to M3s.  You're really seeing that big of a downturn in business?

Admittedly, people are driving a little less, but accidents still happen.  Where do people go if not to you?

A lot of accidents don't really disable the car. They just pocket the insurance money and do the best duct tape job they can for less than $5.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

Quote from: Onslaught on February 05, 2009, 05:45:35 PM

I was hearing mechanic's business is actually booming.  I know mine is.  But maybe people aren't taking them to dealers as much because they charge more?

Onslaught

Quote from: the Teuton on February 05, 2009, 05:48:10 PM

I've not worked on a car in over 2 weeks. I turned 150 hours most weeks before the shit hit the fan and lately it's been 20 at best. So yes, it's a downturn!
The BMW, Benz place in town has work and they want to hire me sometime soon. But I'm hoping that things turn around so I won't have to move. I'm not really wanting to work on those cars unless I have to. People are holding on to the insurance money unless the car isn't road worthy. I see smashed up cars all over the road these days that people don't get fixed.

And the "people are keeping their old cars story" isn't helping us. When a old car gets hit it normally totals.

the Teuton

Sorry to hear that.  Lux car shops like that will have business just because it's the nature of the beast.  People have money, and they're usually a bit more financially savvy.  They also think because it's a Benz or BMW dealer, they service is remarkably better.  It's not.  I know.

But reputation sells.

Good luck, Mr. Onslaught.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Onslaught

Quote from: the Teuton on February 05, 2009, 05:59:41 PM
Sorry to hear that.  Lux car shops like that will have business just because it's the nature of the beast.  People have money, and they're usually a bit more financially savvy.  They also think because it's a Benz or BMW dealer, they service is remarkably better.  It's not.  I know.

But reputation sells.

Good luck, Mr. Onslaught.
They also think if you work on a BMW or Benz you make more money. But you don't.
That's one of the reasons I've never wanted to work on them all that much.

3.0L V6

The US auto market could not sustain sales of 17 million vehicles per year indefinitely. Automakers lost big profits trying to keep the metal moving (incentives and the like) and saturated the market. The demand was quenched some time ago, and no incentive or deal can change that. The freezing of the credit market just was the tipping point. Without the fancy 0% interest rate or 72 month loan, sales collapsed.

The irony is that vehicles last a whole lot longer now, so they'll go longer before they need to be replaced.

So, no, I don't see demand recovering much.

S204STi

Quote from: NomisR on February 05, 2009, 05:54:23 PM
I was hearing mechanic's business is actually booming.  I know mine is.  But maybe people aren't taking them to dealers as much because they charge more?

It's a double edged sword with dealers.  We rely on new car sales to create new customers.  So, if sales of new cars drop, if you don't already have a strong customer base, you're screwed.  In the case of the couple thousand dealers that will close this year it will be because they have 40% or more of the ROs based on warranty pay, and of course that is going to plummet like a lead balloon with no new car sales.

YO

what are you talking about. You do make more money

Quote from: Onslaught on February 05, 2009, 06:01:42 PM
They also think if you work on a BMW or Benz you make more money. But you don't.
That's one of the reasons I've never wanted to work on them all that much.
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

Onslaught

Quote from: YO on February 05, 2009, 07:55:13 PM
what are you talking about. You do make more money

You get paid the same doing bodywork on a Mazda as you do working on a BMW.
$42.00 an hour is $42.00 an hour regardless of the make of the car.

We get $2 more an hour at my Ford shop then the guys and the Benz place actually. Another reason I'm not too sure I want to change.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Onslaught on February 05, 2009, 05:56:08 PM
I've not worked on a car in over 2 weeks. I turned 150 hours most weeks before the shit hit the fan and lately it's been 20 at best. So yes, it's a downturn!
The BMW, Benz place in town has work and they want to hire me sometime soon. But I'm hoping that things turn around so I won't have to move. I'm not really wanting to work on those cars unless I have to. People are holding on to the insurance money unless the car isn't road worthy. I see smashed up cars all over the road these days that people don't get fixed.

And the "people are keeping their old cars story" isn't helping us. When a old car gets hit it normally totals.

Why do I then still have so much trouble finding someone to weld up the hole sin mah Caddy?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

I think it could go further - and actually stay there.

Watch what happens when leases are gone and the typical loans are 50% down, 24 months and 10% rate like it should have been all along...

Onslaught

Quote from: GoCougs on February 05, 2009, 09:10:09 PM
I think it could go further - and actually stay there.

Watch what happens when leases are gone and the typical loans are 50% down, 24 months and 10% rate like it should have been all along...
I think the bottom isn't in sight yet.

S204STi

Quote from: Onslaught on February 05, 2009, 05:56:08 PM
I turned 150 hours most weeks before the shit hit the fan ...

Wow... I've been on the wrong side of the car business!

Rupert

150 billed hours? Must be, because there aren't that many hours in a week, if you want a weekend...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Onslaught

Quote from: Psilos on February 06, 2009, 01:01:30 AM
150 billed hours? Must be, because there aren't that many hours in a week, if you want a weekend...
Yes, billed hours. I didn't do it every week but most of the time it was 120 or so and up. But I work a little faster and way harder then all the other guys.
I don't stop for breaks or have an hour lunch or anything. I figure if I've got to be at that hell hole I should make all the money humanly possible.

I also didn't run all the hours I turned in a week so that the tax man wouldn't bend me over and have his way with my anus. But I've used up all my money
that they owed me from that getting through these slow times.

Anyway, enough about me. Like I said before we've not seen the bottom yet.

r0tor

i'll buy a car if obama wants to give me a tax break and my employer doesn't decide to strip my bonus away
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on February 06, 2009, 07:48:03 AM
i'll buy a car if obama wants to give me a tax break and my employer doesn't decide to strip my bonus away

Wait a bit, just as with the proposed $15k tax credit for buying a home, so too will come a big tax deduction to buy a car.

r0tor

thats the plan!!! woooo!!!! freee moneeeeiiisss
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on February 06, 2009, 07:53:27 AM
Wait a bit, just as with the proposed $15k tax credit for buying a home, so too will come a big tax deduction to buy a car.
It was already announced.