BREAKING: Bob Lutz to step down from GM at end of 2009

Started by SVT666, February 09, 2009, 09:28:52 AM

SVT666

BREAKING: Bob Lutz to step down from GM at end of 2009

General Motors announced just minutes ago that vice chairman and global product development head Bob Lutz - the automaker?s so-called ?chief car guy? - will retire at the end of 2009. Lutz, who is credited with the Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, among other GM products, is responsible for the automaker?s product renaissance.

GM says that Lutz will be replaced - at least temporarily - by Tom Stephens. Beginning April 1, Lutz will transfer into a new role as Vice Chairman and Senior Advisor. Lutz, 76, will retire at the end of 2009.

Lutz was hired into GM by Chairman Rick Wagoner in September 2001 to revitalize the automaker?s product lineup. Immediately, Lutz set forth improving tactile quality and allowing for more expressive and creative designs. His first project, the Solstice, went from drawing room sketch to show car concept in just four months.

?Bob Lutz was already a legendary automotive product guy when he rejoined GM in 2001,? Wagoner said in a statement.

?He?s added to that by leading the creation of a string of award-winning vehicles for GM during his time here. His 46 years of experience in the global automotive business have been invaluable to us. I?ve personally learned a great deal from Bob and have very much enjoyed the time we?ve worked together.?

?I?m looking forward to Bob?s continued contributions to GM for the remainder of 2009 ? and I know the impact of his efforts leading GM global product development will continue for years to come.

Stephens is GM?s Executive Vice President, Global Powertrain and Global Quality. In his new role, he?ll report directly to COO Fritz Henderson and he?ll continue to oversee GM?s global quality activity, the automaker said in a release.

2o6

He got a lot of stuff done, but sometimes He came across as a bit arrogant in his interviews. With this "car czar" he probably doesn't want to be whipped around and jerked around by a know-nothing government politician.

CaMIRO

A great man.

It's understandable that someone who rose to the near top of each of the Big Three might have a vast reserve of talent and experience upon which to draw. Few use and articulate such experience quite so well.

What makes Lutz truly unique, though, is that he has more energy and enthusiasm at 76 than the vast majority of his counterparts at half that age. Never mind that none of his counterparts are remotely as approachable.

I'm thankful that people like this exist; inspired that one made it despite the odds, and forever thankful that, in years past, he regularly made it a point to remember my name and, at various stages, give my nascent ideas the time of day.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 09, 2009, 08:38:37 PM
You would send the company into bankruptcy for sure.

No, no.  I'd be awesome for GM. 

I'd tell Gettlefinger and the UAW that I will fuck them with a chainsaw unless they unshackle the hands of innovation, automation, and cost cutting. 

Penetrate just one person with a chainsaw, and everyone falls in line.  It always works. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

I am a bit disappointed here. He is phenomenal at his job and GM very desperately needs his expertize, at least until 2011 or so when things start to get better. He was able to make good decisions and I hope they can replace him with someone equally good.

pathill

It must have been tough for Bob for having worked so long and done so many things for GM. Thanks for the heads up mate! :)

Colonel Cadillac

sandertheshark

Tom Stephens was largely responsible for the Vette ZR-1, and stuffing the LS2 and LS3 motors into a dozen different cars so I don't think this is a downgrade.  And I wouldn't mind having his old job.

sandertheshark

Quote from: pathill on February 09, 2009, 08:55:36 PM
It must have been tough for Bob for having worked so long and done so many things for GM. Thanks for the heads up mate! :)

Welcome to the boards.  Watch out for that Raza guy.  He wasn't kidding about the chainsaw.

Northlands

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17528.msg992441#msg992441 date=1234237653
No, no.  I'd be awesome for GM. 

I'd tell Gettlefinger and the UAW that I will fuck them with a chainsaw unless they unshackle the hands of innovation, automation, and cost cutting. 

Penetrate just one person with a chainsaw, and everyone falls in line.  It always works. 

:lol: :lol:

I swear I've dreamt of moments like that... and yes... involving the UAW/CAW.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Nethead

Isn't Lutz the guy most responsible for the Chevy SSR?  If so, 'nuff said.
So many stairs...so little time...

2o6

Quote from: Nethead on February 10, 2009, 06:45:04 AM

He's also responsible for this current crop of Competitive GM cars. Why do people hate on the SSR? It wasn't a track car.

ChrisV

Quote from: Nethead on February 10, 2009, 06:45:04 AM

And the Viper and BMW's M division, and, well, a LOT of stuff. If you want to focus on the SSR (which wasn't that bad, actually) and say something absolutely retarded like "nuff said" then you're a moron. So...are you a moron?
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

2o6

He was responsible for a lot of things. He Turned Chrysler around in the late 80's, early 90's. He started the Neon, and all of the distinctive "cab-forward" Dodge and Chryslers.

Nethead

Quote from: ChrisV on February 10, 2009, 07:38:05 AM
And the Viper and BMW's M division, and, well, a LOT of stuff. If you want to focus on the SSR (which wasn't that bad, actually) and say something absolutely retarded like "nuff said" then you're a moron. So...are you a moron?

ChrisV:  A moron is someone who has SSR mules available to test & evaluate, and then gives the OK for it to be put into production.

'Sorry, wasn't the Nethead here...but I know who it was.  Sure, Lutz can't claim all the credit for GM's striking success of late (consider where GM was when Lutz was hired--and where it is when he chooses to give notice...).  It's time for executives who know how to deal with the problems of 2/11/2009 successfully to get a shot at the helm--it's two outs in the bottom of the ninth, no one's on base, and the home team trails by two.  Clearly, the best hitters in the dug-out need to be up in the batting order.  Lutz might be your man when times are better than they are now.  Until then, they need a cold, calculating SOB of singular purpose who will cut divisions and models that aren't helping the bottom line. 

It may be too late--analysts are saying that GM cannot survive in a market in which fewer than twelve million vehicles are sold within a year, and that is looking pretty likely in 2009...   

Nethead

2o6:  "He started the Neon, and all of the distinctive "cab-forward" Dodge and Chryslers."

I'm sure those breathtaking products got Lutz several Nobels for Engineering...

the Teuton

Quote from: Nethead on February 11, 2009, 12:45:53 PM
2o6:  "He started the Neon, and all of the distinctive "cab-forward" Dodge and Chryslers."

Lutz is a product guy.  He never claimed to be the most business-savvy person on earth.  He just happens to know what can make an enthusiast drool because he is one.  Unfortunately, we're not in an enthusiast market right now.  Cars right now need to be solidly practical and solid values to succeed.  Unfortunately, as much as GM has built the image of Cadillac back up with Lutz running the show, they have not done much to build a foundation for all of the other brands. image-wise.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: Nethead on February 11, 2009, 12:45:53 PM

Oh you mean all of the products that kept Chrysler alive as long as it has?  What a dummy to have come up with that.

Nethead

Quote from: the Teuton on February 11, 2009, 12:57:57 PM
Lutz is a product guy.  He never claimed to be the most business-savvy person on earth.  He just happens to know what can make an enthusiast drool because he is one.  Unfortunately, we're not in an enthusiast market right now.  Cars right now need to be solidly practical and solid values to succeed.  Unfortunately, as much as GM has built the image of Cadillac back up with Lutz running the show, they have not done much to build a foundation for all of the other brands. image-wise.

the Teuton:  Your best posting yet, TeutDude.  What you have said in just one paragraph pretty much tells the story of The Fall of General Motors. 

Failing to hit enough home runs in the solid, practical vehicle market will be their death, and the Volt doesn't appear to offer enough day-to-day practicality to save them ("Yes, the car is slow--but its range is short.")--even though it looks like GM is leaning toward dumping all their remaining eggs into the Volt basket in order to continue gettin' government hand-outs.  I commend you on a concise, tell-it-like-it-is synopsis of why there may not be a GM in 2010 unless the Feds sign on for a lifetime of palimony...Good job!

Nethead

Quote from: R-inge on February 11, 2009, 01:33:06 PM
Oh you mean all of the products that kept Chrysler alive as long as it has?  What a dummy to have come up with that.

R-inge:  Mediocrity can take you far in the automotive world!  At least when times are good...

But tough times call for better than that, because suddenly your customers wake up and realize they had better go for the real thing when purchasing their next vehicle.  Hence, Chrysler/Cerberus will probably be out-of business sometime this summer as their potential customers appear to be going elsewhere.  The pitiful Neon is gone with the wind--a good thing--and cab-forward hype doesn't fool customers like it once did.  All that can save C/C now is a buy-out (possibly wrapped in "merger" hype, a la Daimler-Chrysler) by some gullible Third World manufacturer or permanently shacking up with the US Treasury.  Good luck on either count...