Chrysler to idle four plants this month

Started by SVT666, February 09, 2009, 09:30:40 AM

SVT666

Chrysler to idle four plants this month

Due to worsening economic conditions and slumping new car sales, Chrysler has announced it will be idling four North American production plants during the month of February. The plants will be shut down for one week, beginning February 9th.

During the shutdown, Chrysler will idle plants in Brampton, Ontario; Sterling Heights, Michigan; Belvidere, Illinois; and Detroit, according to The Detroit News. Chrysler?s Brampton plant produces the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger and Challenger. The Sterling Heights plant makes the Dodge Avenger and Chrysler Sebring while the Belvidere plant is responsible for the production of the Dodge Caliber and Jeep Compass and Patriot. Chrysler?s Detroit line makes the Dodge Viper.

Although only temporary, the plant shutdowns come at a precarious time for Chrysler. The Michigan-based automaker is strongly urging dealers to purchase more cars despite new car demand being weak enough to merit closing three volume plants. Chrysler?s sales were down 30 percent in 2008, with January sales decreasing by 55 percent.

NomisR

They need to streamline their lineup.. should've a long time ago.. no need for the big lineup thing... some smaller companies started out with a small lineup and they grew from there.  Chrysler should've went back to the basics..  get rid of the entirelineup built in Belvidere for one.

the Teuton

Let's oversupply the dealerships even more with cars they can't sell so the factories can stay open to make those cars that don't sell.

Genius!

Do they teach this sort of practice in MBA school?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

NomisR

Quote from: the Teuton on February 09, 2009, 10:04:09 AM
Let's oversupply the dealerships even more with cars they can't sell so the factories can stay open to make those cars that don't sell.

Genius!

Do they teach this sort of practice in MBA school?

Well, it's the same guys that bought Chrysler from Daimler Benz, so that in itself already shows how smart they are.