1967 Dodge Viper

Started by Vinsanity, February 09, 2009, 11:52:31 AM

Vinsanity

ChrisV

It was around. It just happened to be sold at Ford dealerships. ;) (The Viper came into being when Lutz was driving around in his Cobra replica and wishing that someone made a new version with a warranty).

But that rendering sure is a beaut!
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 09, 2009, 11:52:31 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/09/what-if-the-dodge-viper-were-around-in-1967/

Want. :wub:
OMG, SOMEONE NEEDS TO MAKE A KIT VERSION OF THAT!!!  I'm sorry for yelling, but I'm hoping someone hears me.

2o6

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on February 09, 2009, 02:43:51 PM
Ur MOM!

/bangheadshot

Ok I'm kidding. That is pure sex on wheels. I have to go change my panties now.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

'67 Corvette looks better.  :huh:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Sigma Projects

looks alright. Too bad it's not real though. I think I'd like it more if the rear lights were done up a bit more and if the rear fenders weren't too much like the corvettes front fenders. They're just too high up for my tastes.
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

Vinsanity

Quote from: ChrisV on February 09, 2009, 12:02:42 PM
It was around. It just happened to be sold at Ford dealerships. ;)

That's what I was thinking when I first read the headline, but this is a lovely styling exercise. This has much more of a "sophisticated GT" flair than the Cobra or the Stingray.

Would've been cool to imagine what a 60's era V10 would be like, though :mrcool:

SVT666

It's definitely sexy, but it's not what I would picture a '67 Viper to look like.  When I think of a '67 Viper, I think of the Cobra and Daytona Coupe.

Tave

I was expecting a thread about the Cobra.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Rupert

It's just a little heavy on the 'Vette. But I'd want one!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

sandertheshark

I've been wondering for many a year what a Dodge Viper would look like if had been made in the '60s to compete with the C2 'Vette.  I'm pleased with this answer.

Tons more wallpapers:  http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/2009/top-2009-Viper-Concept-1967-by-Rafael-Reston.htm

the Teuton

It looks like a boutique Corvette.  The Daytona coupe is probably closer to what the Viper would have looked like.  This is not to say that this rendering is ugly because it isn't.  It's downright gorgeous.

But it looks like an Italian Corvette.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on February 09, 2009, 11:01:56 PM
It looks like a boutique Corvette.  The Daytona coupe is probably closer to what the Viper would have looked like.  This is not to say that this rendering is ugly because it isn't.  It's downright gorgeous.

But it looks like an Italian Corvette.

That's way too European looking for late 60's Chrysler. It should have a shaker hoodscoop, a black hood, stripes, badges, a 426 hemi, and bright orange paint.

MrH

Well, I think that's rather ugly.  You guys can take that, I'll take a Panamera. :praise:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 09, 2009, 11:08:36 PM
That's way too European looking for late 60's Chrysler. It should have a shaker hoodscoop, a black hood, stripes, badges, a 426 hemi, and bright orange paint.

1967 is past the Exner era, isn't it?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Byteme

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 09, 2009, 11:52:31 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/09/what-if-the-dodge-viper-were-around-in-1967/

Want. :wub:

Interesting but thinking back on what The Chrysler Corp offered back in 1967 I susect you would have seen something that looked more like a dodge dart or Plymouth Baracuda.

Vinsanity

What's tricky about this exercise is that as you all remember, the original Viper looked nothing like the other Dodges and Chryslers that existed at the time (e.g. http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=17371.msg991292#msg991292). The same can be said of the current Viper. From what I can tell, this design is meant to take the current car and extrapolate it into the engineering and production standards of 40 years ago. Although it's hard to imagine a Euro-styled GT evolving into the beast we know from the 1990's and 2000's.

Tave

The corvette hasn't exactly been lock-step with the rest of GM designs, either.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ChrisV

Interesting that Ford did the same thing with the 427 Cobra chassis in the '60s and came up with the Cougar II and Cobra II:

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ChrisV on February 10, 2009, 11:20:36 AM
Interesting that Ford did the same thing with the 427 Cobra chassis in the '60s and came up with the Cougar II and Cobra II:

That would make a lot of lift.

Catman

omicron

Quote from: ChrisV on February 10, 2009, 11:20:36 AM

I've always liked the AC Frua, too:

FoMoJo

At first glance, it looked like a retro version of a Studebaker Avanti...
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Nethead

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 11, 2009, 10:51:24 AM
At first glance, it looked like a retro version of a Studebaker Avanti...

FoMoJo:  Good call, Fo!  It  DOES  resemble an Avanti--especially aft of the doors!
So many stairs...so little time...

ChrisV

Well, it woudn't be a retro version of the avanti, unless the avanti was newer, i would think.