Rusty hoods, the new "in" thing amongst ricers.

Started by 565, February 09, 2009, 12:22:56 PM

SVT666

That's fucking stupid.

*waits for ChrisV to chastise him*

ChrisV

Fake patina. Started with the hot rodders and has moved on, hasn't it.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Vinsanity

IIRC, the hoods lose weight as they start to rust away.

Makes me feel bad for the suckers who dropped big $$$ on the carbon fibre hoods :tounge:

ChrisV

Like this one painted to look like aging copper.

Ah well. I wouldn't make my car look like that. I don't see the style lasting on late model cars.

SVT666

Vinsanity

I'm struggling with being convinced that old Bimmer was made to look like that on purpose

What's next? Replicating the effect of fading clearcoat?

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

NomisR

Next fad, steel wheel with hub cap looking alloy wheels.

the Teuton

Quote from: NomisR on February 09, 2009, 12:53:53 PM

I already rock the semi-rusted steelies.  I say that's trendy enough.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

I think steelies already look kinda cool with white- or yellow-lettered tires :mask:

the Teuton

I don't believe in hubcaps, although I own a set.  They're not on the car, though.

If I go that direction, it might be kinda cool to get a roof rack, lower my car, and turn it into a California-style hotrod someday.

I sincerely like the style.

hotrodalex

NomisR

rusted hood with rusted steelies, one broken head light and tail light.. that's the looks of the future!

Eye of the Tiger

Looks like someone splattered their loose stools all over the hood of that Golf. The contrast between that and the perfectly polished black paint is retarded.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: ChrisV on February 09, 2009, 12:35:42 PM

Ah well. I wouldn't make my car look like that. I don't see the style lasting on late model cars.

THAT IS COOL. However, on a newer car, It'd look dumb.

Onslaught

Gotta-Qik-C7

That is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ChrisV on February 09, 2009, 12:35:42 PM

Looks like bird shit.

ChrisV

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on February 09, 2009, 02:49:49 PM
Looks like bird shit.

Bird shit on a copper statue. I think that was the goal.

And I notice the patina does not go onto the trim or bumper.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: NomisR on February 09, 2009, 12:53:53 PM

Already here. I've seen them OEM. Really skinny-spoked and shiny hubcaps..
Will

r0tor

Quote from: Onslaught on February 09, 2009, 02:21:44 PM
Darn, I can never be cool with my hood.

i'm gonna hold out until aluminum oxide becomes popular... cause its lighter then iron oxide yo!!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: ChrisV on February 09, 2009, 12:27:07 PM
Fake patina. Started with the hot rodders and has moved on, hasn't it.

Looks great on rat rods.  Not so much on an R32.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Psilos on February 09, 2009, 09:22:58 PM
Patina is something you earn, goddammit.

Yes, with careful neglect.

Sadly, my Z doesn't even have a patina. It just looks vaguely crappy.

Tave

They need a few strategically-placed dents to complete the look. :lol:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Those two cars are both on extremes of the spectrum.  A good rat rod has a look somewhat more like neglect, or like it was bolted up from parts collected from a junk yard.  The VW looks silly because it has a nice clear coat on every panel other than the hood.  The BMW just looks like someone dropped a bucket of paint on the hood and roof.