Acura Annoying Omi

Started by omicron, February 11, 2009, 10:56:37 AM

omicron

Acura is putting hurdles in the path of Honda marketing the new NSX in countries outside North America. As we first reported back in October of last year (more here), Honda's North America-only brand is refusing to budge on allowing Honda to sell the new NSX badged as a Honda, even outside North America. Apparently there's a view among the dealers and staff at Acura that the NSX sold as a Honda in other markets would dilute the brand and reduce the car's efficacy as a brand-builder.

At the launch of the City light car last week, we caught up again with Fumihiko Ike, Honda's COO in the Asia/Pacific region for further background.

"NSX is kind of a commercial objective... to make Acura a brand image that's a so-called 'Tier One' premium brand, like the German makes or like Lexus/Infiniti..." Ike advised the Carsales Network, but he admitted that without global sales of the car, "it doesn't make any commercial sense".

"The current situation: If we could foresee this global economic crisis lasting only a year or two, we could just [bear with] it, but the problem is that nobody knows how long it will last."

With US sales down across the board, in other words, a low-volume specialty car like the new NSX needs sales elsewhere to amortise development costs.

And the astounding aspect of a contrived subsidiary holding power over the parent company is that Acura isn't even perceived to be the prestige player that Lexus and Infiniti are -- outside the sphere of Acura employees and owners.

Ike explained that Acura -- established in the US back in 1986 -- was a separate sales stream to overcome legislative obstacles to Honda expanding its existing dealer network to take advantage of increased sales.

"The Acura franchise was initiated on purely commercial grounds -- to increase the dealer network in the US, to expand the dealer network," he said.

"Because of the regulatory limitations, we couldn't set up the same franchise within the same area, so we had to differentiate the [dealers with] different [franchise names]. We set up new dealerships. That was the original background of the Acura franchise.

So while Honda set up Acura to be an Audi to Volkswagen or a Pontiac to Chevrolet, the child company's brand image has got away from the original plan.

"Today people perceive Acura as slightly lower, compared to the German makes or Lexus/Infiniti."

"People's expectations, or even a franchise dealer's expectations, is to make the franchise as high as Lexus/Infiniti, so in response to that kind of requirement... we started to develop new cars purely for the Acura franchise."

Honda decided that rather than drawing the Acura brand image back to where they had originally planned it to be, they would capitalise on the extra (unexpected) cachet of the franchise -- undoubtedly watching newcomers Lexus and Infiniti as they did so.

"The dilemma with Acura is that we cannot market exactly the same car outside the US with the Honda badge," says Ike.

"Except China, we don't have the Acura brand outside the US, so if we tried to put the Honda marque on the Acura-brand car, the Acura dealer will [protest]."

Based then on a brand image that can hardly be justified, Acura management and staff are wagging the dog. The cars are built in Honda factories and models such as the MDX and the TSX (the latter known here with different detail styling treatment as the Accord Euro) have been sold in other markets as Hondas. This is where the Acura story differs markedly from Lexus, which went to considerable lengths to distance itself as a brand from the parent company, Toyota.

Even more interesting, according to Ike, Honda's management and staff are beginning to grow restless with Acura's intransigence.

"Right now, Honda franchise people are upset; 'Okay, that car's a Honda car, we should be taking care of it'..."

Acura is a symptom of a developing cross-cultural problem within Honda. As we reported about 12 months ago (more here), it's harder for American design and engineering teams to see the need for RHD versions of cars they're developing. For a company that began in an RHD market (Japan), that's self-defeating.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2009/prestige-and-luxury/acura/the-acura-dilemma-13312

:rage:

Tave

I thought they shelved it anyway...
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

The previous Acura NSX was the Honda NSX everywhere else, so I don't see the problem.  Besides, I thought it was canceled.

sportyaccordy

I'm confused...

Outside the US, Infinitis sell as Nissans, Lexuses sell as Toyotas... Acuras sell as Hondas. What's the problem? The only legit point I can see here is that the NSX isn't a great place to invest right now.

What Honda SHOULD do is develop a USABLE midsize RWD chassis and sever all ties with any Honda model (outside of motors)... as well as do away with their current design team.

AltinD

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 11, 2009, 12:41:29 PM
I'm confused...

Outside the US, Infinitis sell as Nissans, Lexuses sell as Toyotas... Acuras sell as Hondas. What's the problem? .

That's not true, especially for Lexus and Infinity

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

ifcar

I don't think Infiniti is considered more prestigious than Acura. Both are sort of between something like Saab and something like Lexus or MB in the US.

93JC

?

From my perspective, Infiniti is on par with Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Cadillac, etc. Particularly as far as midsizers go, where the G is as or more desirable than the 3, C, CTS, IS, etc.

On the other hand Acura is a level lower, on par with Saab, Volvo, Lincoln and such. They're not quite as powerful, big, luxurious, etc. as the competitors from Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Cadillac, etc.

ifcar

On-on-one, their core products (TL and MDX) aren't losing out for prestige reasons to any big-name competitors. Infiniti does have a bigger range, including pricier V8 cars, but Acura is a  much stronger brand name than Saab, Lincoln, or Volvo, I'd say.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AltinD on February 11, 2009, 01:52:36 PM
That's not true, especially for Lexus and Infinity

OK, more correctly: in the Japanese market, Acuras, Lexuses and Infinitis all sell as Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

The thing with Saab, Volvo, and Acura is that their flagship cars have been really hit or miss and they haven't expanded a distinct image of what their brands should represents.

Saab never got beyond the 9000/9-5 in size, and they haven't really made their cars outstanding in any way.  Volvo had the S90, but it never really went that upscale, and it looked like a brick.  The Swedes, in all honesty, have only ever been mismanaged niche brands since the 1980s.

Acura is still a glorified Honda.  The worst thing Acura could have done with the RL is come out the next year with a car that was larger in the inside, $20,000 cheaper, and quicker.  Once again, they shot themselves in the foot.

They have no really unique products except for the RDX turbo, but instead of capitalizing on it, they're letting that one slip by the wayside, too.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!