Would you buy a previous rental?

Started by SVT666, February 11, 2009, 12:30:30 PM

I have found several 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT's, loaded up with almost all the options, with under 20,000 miles on the clock, going for $16K in California.  Would you buy one?

Yes! Yes! Yes!  Jump on it!
1 (2.9%)
Yes, if an inspection checks out.
9 (25.7%)
I would be leary.
10 (28.6%)
No way!
15 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Soup DeVille

I would buy a rental if and only if the price was right, and if I needed a dedicated winter beater.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

Chrysler won't be around in a year, and you'll have to go through a bunch of red tape at some subcontracted dealership (probably Nissan, GM, or Ford) to get the car serviced.  It's not worth the hassle, imo.

Values will drop like an anvil in a few months.  It's not worth getting right now.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

NomisR

Quote from: ifcar on February 11, 2009, 04:25:14 PM
That will entirely depend on what everyone's building when I'm ready to buy a car.

Dream car doesn't have to be something be affordable or be built.. it's something that you would have a poster of to put on your wall.  like

NomisR

Quote from: the Teuton on February 11, 2009, 04:36:39 PM
Chrysler won't be around in a year, and you'll have to go through a bunch of red tape at some subcontracted dealership (probably Nissan, GM, or Ford) to get the car serviced.  It's not worth the hassle, imo.

Values will drop like an anvil in a few months.  It's not worth getting right now.

Well, he probably won't be getting the car serviced at a dealer anyways, so shouldn't be a problem.  Find a good mechanic and you're set

3.0L V6

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 11, 2009, 04:13:54 PM
You're not comparing apples to apples.  I can find a used 2008 SE for $16K in BC without a problem, but I can find a used 2008 SXT in Seattle for $16K.  The cheapest used 2008 Grand Caravan SXT I can find in my province is listed for $25,995 on autotrader.ca.

When it's time to buy, it might be a different story though.

Fair enough. I didn't know the 4.0L was a requirement for you.

But that rental still isn't a deal for you. Considering the exchange rate ($1CDN = ~0.80USD), the pain in the ass of driving it from California to BC, the fact that it was a rental vehicle and the company that warrants it may not be around very long and I think it's overvalued.

Considering the economy, if you wait you can probably find a real bargain within the next six to twelve months.

SVT666

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on February 11, 2009, 04:48:41 PM
Fair enough. I didn't know the 4.0L was a requirement for you.

But that rental still isn't a deal for you. Considering the exchange rate ($1CDN = ~0.80USD), the pain in the ass of driving it from California to BC, the fact that it was a rental vehicle and the company that warrants it may not be around very long and I think it's overvalued.

Considering the economy, if you wait you can probably find a real bargain within the next six to twelve months.
I'm not buying until January.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 11, 2009, 04:24:59 PM
The problem is every last 2008 Grand Caravan available in BC for under $25K is an SE.  That van comes with the 3.3L.  The only way to get the 4.0L is to get the SXT.

I know you're a minivan fan, but have you thought of a wagon?  Low ride height and cargo load level may make it more practical in practical terms than a minivan.  I mean, if you cut out cargo space in the cargo area that is not likely (or safe) to be used, how different is a wagon from a minivan or SUV?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Pommes-T

My Polo was a former rental car and it was the most reliable car our family had ever owned. But we bought it for round about 1500$.
I don`t think I`d buy a former rental car in this price range though.
'00 BMW 523i

CJ

Quote from: Raza  on February 11, 2009, 05:01:08 PM
I know you're a minivan fan, but have you thought of a wagon?  Low ride height and cargo load level may make it more practical in practical terms than a minivan.  I mean, if you cut out cargo space in the cargo area that is not likely (or safe) to be used, how different is a wagon from a minivan or SUV?

What if little Billy wants to bring a friend?  And since Billy gets to bring a friend, Sally is also going to want to bring one.  That's something to consider. 

Try finding a newer Odyssey.  They're pretty, dare I say it, FUN to drive.

sandertheshark

I'll buy an ex-rental when I've got some dead bodies I need stuffed in a trunk and driven into the river.

Raza

Quote from: CJ on February 11, 2009, 05:56:12 PM

What if little Billy wants to bring a friend?  And since Billy gets to bring a friend, Sally is also going to want to bring one.  That's something to consider. 

There are 7 seat wagons.  Like the E55 AMG.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Pommes-T on February 11, 2009, 05:04:40 PM
My Polo was a former rental car and it was the most reliable car our family had ever owned. But we bought it for round about 1500$.
I don`t think I`d buy a former rental car in this price range though.

Americans are different from europeans. Why do you think that there are no MT shift rentals in the US?

Quote from: Raza  on February 11, 2009, 06:39:31 PM

They're much, much different. For example: Loading things into the car. It's hard to bend over to struggle to get in a baby seat, or bend over to put things inside a car. Minivans have height, and a flatter loading floor to get people inside much easier.

Quote from: Raza  on February 11, 2009, 05:01:08 PM

Also, Minivans are more space efficient, having a low ride height (like a car) but the high roofline of an SUV. With 7 seat wagons, that rear bench is rear facing: it intrudes on cargospace, and is hard to get kids back there and still have room to fill it up with cargo.

SVT666

Quote from: CJ on February 11, 2009, 05:56:12 PM

There's a reason we're not looking at them...price.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17566.msg994218#msg994218 date=1234402771
We have a 6 seat wagon now, don't want another one.  They are simply not as practical as a minivan.  With two car seats in it, the back row has been rendered useless. 

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 11, 2009, 08:14:11 PM
We have a 6 seat wagon now, don't want another one.  They are simply not as practical as a minivan.  With two car seats in it, the back row has been rendered useless. 

Do you have the second-row center console or a passage?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 11, 2009, 08:14:11 PM

Minivans are no picnic. THey are way up high, and you have to climb into them. ANd if your kid falls out of a minivan, there is a 212.5% greater chance that they will sustain a boo-boo.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on February 11, 2009, 08:16:12 PM
Do you have the second-row center console or a passage?
Middle passage.  But for anyone taller then say 42", it's nearly impossible to maneuver yourself through it and into the back seat.  Especially when there are car seats in the way.  Believe me I had to do it on Sunday.  I would buy another wagon when the kids are older and don't need car seats anymore, but as long as there are car seats in our cars, it's going to be a minivan for us. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 11, 2009, 11:48:44 PM
Middle passage.  But for anyone taller then say 42", it's nearly impossible to maneuver yourself through it and into the back seat.  Especially when there are car seats in the way.  Believe me I had to do it on Sunday.  I would buy another wagon when the kids are older and don't need car seats anymore, but as long as there are car seats in our cars, it's going to be a minivan for us. 

Car seats really do fuck a lot of things up.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 11, 2009, 11:48:44 PM

So are you hoping for a two-passenger bench seat that you can get to the rear along the side of, or just something where it's easier to get between the captain's chairs?

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 12, 2009, 01:19:15 AM
Car seats really do fuck a lot of things up.

Why did they ever make this a law?  It should be the parent's choice on it and not the government's rules.  I grew up fine without one as with majority of us on here.

TBR

Quote from: NomisR on February 12, 2009, 10:43:48 AM
Why did they ever make this a law?  It should be the parent's choice on it and not the government's rules.  I grew up fine without one as with majority of us on here.

Yeah, my parents only used on when I was really young. I am not really sure when they stopped, but it was definitely earlier than parents do now.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: TBR on February 12, 2009, 11:27:02 AM
Yeah, my parents only used on when I was really young. I am not really sure when they stopped, but it was definitely earlier than parents do now.
+1

I think they just keep increasing the minimum weight and height... :rage:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

the Teuton

Apparently life was rather unsafe back then.  How are we all alive?

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on February 12, 2009, 11:36:39 AM
Apparently life was rather unsafe back then.  How are we all alive?
A lot of children died in car accidents.  A lot.  Traffic was also nowhere near as crazy as it is now, and drivers were a lot more respectful back in the day.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on February 12, 2009, 04:37:36 AM
So are you hoping for a two-passenger bench seat that you can get to the rear along the side of, or just something where it's easier to get between the captain's chairs?
The latter.

GoCougs

In theory, sure. It's no different than with any other used car: it's on a car-by-car basis - condition, records, options, etc.

In practice, probably not. I simply wouldn't be interested in the typical rental car.

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 12, 2009, 01:51:43 PM
A lot of children died in car accidents.  A lot.  Traffic was also nowhere near as crazy as it is now, and drivers were a lot more respectful back in the day.

I grew up riding around in a sardine can on wheels, a 1985 Astro that my mom got in 1990.  I don't remember having a car seat at any point.  I do remember riding in the front seat.

Have you ever seen the crash tests for the old Astro before the updates?

It was pretty gruesome in all respects.  I was in a few minor fender benders in that car, and I was fine.

In saying this, do all parents of young children go to such great lengths of protection with their kids these days?