Would you buy a previous rental?

Started by SVT666, February 11, 2009, 12:30:30 PM

I have found several 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT's, loaded up with almost all the options, with under 20,000 miles on the clock, going for $16K in California.  Would you buy one?

Yes! Yes! Yes!  Jump on it!
1 (2.9%)
Yes, if an inspection checks out.
9 (25.7%)
I would be leary.
10 (28.6%)
No way!
15 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 33

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on February 12, 2009, 02:19:37 PM
I grew up riding around in a sardine can on wheels, a 1985 Astro that my mom got in 1990.  I don't remember having a car seat at any point.  I do remember riding in the front seat.

Have you ever seen the crash tests for the old Astro before the updates?

It was pretty gruesome in all respects.  I was in a few minor fender benders in that car, and I was fine.

In saying this, do all parents of young children go to such great lengths of protection with their kids these days?
By law you have to.  By the way, if the means are there to protect my child from getting killed, I will take them.  There is nothing worse in this world, then knowing that your child died because you didn't protect them.

SVT666

Quote from: NomisR on February 12, 2009, 10:43:48 AM
Why did they ever make this a law?  It should be the parent's choice on it and not the government's rules.  I grew up fine without one as with majority of us on here.
That's true, but a lot of kids went through windshields or got thrown around the inside of a car during an accident.  There are also 10 times as many cars on the road these days.

the Teuton

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 12, 2009, 02:23:06 PM
By law you have to.  By the way, if the means are there to protect my child from getting killed, I will take them.  There is nothing worse in this world, then knowing that your child died because you didn't protect them.

And this is why I don't think I could or would ever want children.

I suppose you have to water them three times a day, too?

Seriously, what kind of BS legislation is that that mandates what you have to buy for your kids?  That'd be like someone forcing my parents to buy me my first car just because they're my parents.

That's retarded.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on February 12, 2009, 02:26:29 PM
And this is why I don't think I could or would ever want children.
Because you wouldn't want to take the necessary precautions to protect them?  You're right, you shouldn't have kids.

QuoteI suppose you have to water them three times a day, too?
Technicaly, yes.  They need to eat breakfast, lunch, and supper.

QuoteSeriously, what kind of BS legislation is that that mandates what you have to buy for your kids?  That'd be like someone forcing my parents to buy me my first car just because they're my parents.
It's not even remotely the same.

QuoteThat's retarded.
You're retarded.  There are a lot of dumb parents out there who shouldn't even have kids.  Unfortunately you have to protect those children from their own parents.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on February 12, 2009, 10:43:48 AM
Why did they ever make this a law?  It should be the parent's choice on it and not the government's rules.  I grew up fine without one as with majority of us on here.

You're just goading me, aren't you?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 12, 2009, 02:25:56 PM
That's true, but a lot of kids went through windshields or got thrown around the inside of a car during an accident.  There are also 10 times as many cars on the road these days.

The lack of a law mandating what you have to do doesn't in any way keep you from doing it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 12, 2009, 02:57:11 PM
The lack of a law mandating what you have to do doesn't in any way keep you from doing it.

No, it does.   Before the car seat law, people used to just duct tape their babies to the hood of their cars. 

(I forced everyone to wear seatbelts in my car before it was mandatory for all passengers.)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 12, 2009, 02:57:11 PM
No, but there are way too many parents who would just let their kids climb all over inside the car while they are driving.  Remember seeing kids riding on the rear parcel shelf of the family sedan?  I remember seeing that, even after car seat laws.

CJ

I'll buy another Volvo when I have kids.  I'll find a pre-owned XC90 or V70.

AutobahnSHO

One of my best friends bought a rental Tempo. Worked out fine for him.

I would totally jump on a newer Caravan if I could. Just for the sto n' go.

--People without families will never understand the uefulness of a minivan, and many of the dads out there get SUVs just because they too spineless to handle the minivan criticism.

They truly are the most functional Large vehicles out there, if you don't NEED an offroad vehicle or a truck.
Will

hotrodalex

I think my Mazda used to be a rental.  :mask:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 12, 2009, 05:28:50 PM
One of my best friends bought a rental Tempo. Worked out fine for him.

I would totally jump on a newer Caravan if I could. Just for the sto n' go.

--People without families will never understand the uefulness of a minivan, and many of the dads out there get SUVs just because they too spineless to handle the minivan criticism.

They truly are the most functional Large vehicles out there, if you don't NEED an offroad vehicle or a truck.

My dad traded his Monte SS for a Voyager in '93 - after that, it was all minivans. I thought the SS was going to be my first car. Nope. I lived the fuckin minivans for a long time, and saw first hand how "useful" they were. I hated them. Sure, we packed them full many times, going upta camp, to the beach, etc, but we never needed any of that shit. Stupid women just needed to learn how to pack lighter. The vans were the beginning of a time of excess - going to the beach for the day? Let's bring the entire kitchen pantry and half our wardrobes, and of course we have three dogs because everybody ash to have their own, and each dog has a couple of bags just in case they need a change of clothes, too!

If I ever have a family with women, they will not bring more than one bag each, period, end of discussion. If you say one more word about it, I will just cancel the whole trip. 99% of the time, a van was a complete waste, and encouraged being even more wasteful. I never felt as safe in those vans - they handled like complete turds. How did we ever live with a 2-door coupe before? We did, and it was great.  I hated all of the vans, and still do. They were a waste of gasoline, a waste of space on the road, and waste of money. Buying a minivan for a two-kid family is like buying a tug boat to go whitewater rafting - you know, just in case you have to pull an oil tanker into port on the way down river. If I have three kids, I can deal with a station wagon. If I have four kids, I can deal with the likes of the Mazda 5. Unless I have five kids or become a plumber, I will never drive one of those lumbering abominations - but in either of those cases I would probably end up killing myself, so the point is moot.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 12, 2009, 04:29:07 PM
No, but there are way too many parents who would just let their kids climb all over inside the car while they are driving.  Remember seeing kids riding on the rear parcel shelf of the family sedan?  I remember seeing that, even after car seat laws.

I remember doing that.

I survived; as did most other kids my age and before. yes, there have been some preventable deaths, but lets be clear about this: we are talking about a marginal increase in safety statistically.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: NACar on February 12, 2009, 05:54:56 PM
My dad traded his Monte SS for a Voyager in '93 - after that, it was all minivans. I thought the SS was going to be my first car. Nope. I lived the fuckin minivans for a long time, and saw first hand how "useful" they were. I hated them. Sure, we packed them full many times, going upta camp, to the beach, etc, but we never needed any of that shit. Stupid women just needed to learn how to pack lighter. The vans were the beginning of a time of excess - going to the beach for the day? Let's bring the entire kitchen pantry and half our wardrobes, and of course we have three dogs because everybody ash to have their own, and each dog has a couple of bags just in case they need a change of clothes, too!

If I ever have a family with women, they will not bring more than one bag each, period, end of discussion. If you say one more word about it, I will just cancel the whole trip. 99% of the time, a van was a complete waste, and encouraged being even more wasteful. I never felt as safe in those vans - they handled like complete turds. How did we ever live with a 2-door coupe before? We did, and it was great.  I hated all of the vans, and still do. They were a waste of gasoline, a waste of space on the road, and waste of money. Buying a minivan for a two-kid family is like buying a tug boat to go whitewater rafting - you know, just in case you have to pull an oil tanker into port on the way down river. If I have three kids, I can deal with a station wagon. If I have four kids, I can deal with the likes of the Mazda 5. Unless I have five kids or become a plumber, I will never drive one of those lumbering abominations - but in either of those cases I would probably end up killing myself, so the point is moot.

LOL

The reduction in kids "on my side" arguments and bothering each other is totally worth the hit I take in mileage and handling.
FWIW the '99 is WAAAY better than the '92 I got rid of last year.
-I've moved my entire house in minivans.
-I can haul 2 adults plus my kids, in relative comfort.

I'll take a pic tomorrow of my "custom" seating which gives me even MORE room than most other vehicles out there..
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 12, 2009, 06:04:42 PM
LOL

The reduction in kids "on my side" arguments and bothering each other is totally worth the hit I take in mileage and handling.
FWIW the '99 is WAAAY better than the '92 I got rid of last year.
-I've moved my entire house in minivans.
-I can haul 2 adults plus my kids, in relative comfort.

I'll take a pic tomorrow of my "custom" seating which gives me even MORE room than most other vehicles out there..

I have many fond memories of the "on my side" arguments in the back of the Monte.
But if it gets out of hand, there's a thing called duct tape. Apply over mouth and around wrists. No more arguments.

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 12, 2009, 05:59:39 PM
I remember doing that.

I survived; as did most other kids my age and before. yes, there have been some preventable deaths, but lets be clear about this: we are talking about a marginal increase in safety statistically.
Marginal? :rolleyes:

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on February 12, 2009, 05:54:56 PM

I'll take a picture of the inside of our car after we go grocery shopping next time, and I'll post it up here for you to see.

It's funny.  Autobahn will agree with me here, that 90% of the people I hear saying that you don't need a minivan are people with no kids.  The other 10% are really short people who don't need the room.

rohan

I'ld buy a used police car before I bought a rental.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 12, 2009, 07:35:50 PM
I'll take a picture of the inside of our car after we go grocery shopping next time, and I'll post it up here for you to see.

It's funny.  Autobahn will agree with me here, that 90% of the people I hear saying that you don't need a minivan are people with no kids.  The other 10% are really short people who don't need the room.

You don't need a minivan. You want a minivan.

MrH

Man, that R350 that Teuton posted...Mercedes' resale is dropping like a rock!

That's crazy how much that's dropped in price.  A used CLS possibly my daily driver out of school?  That'd be the most ballin'est shit ever.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

3.0L V6

Quote from: rohan on February 12, 2009, 07:37:54 PM
I'ld buy a used police car before I bought a rental.

Buying the rental is about the same as marrying a hooker. Both have been ridden hard with little care and compassion and will leave you with fun problems you'll discover when you become the owner.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 12, 2009, 07:35:50 PM

I'm 6'4" and more pounds than I care to mention here. I have two boys, 2 and 4 years old. I drive a Civic.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 12, 2009, 09:27:34 PM
I'm 6'4" and more pounds than I care to mention here. I have two boys, 2 and 4 years old. I drive a Civic.
pwnt
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Soup DeVille

Quote from: thecarnut on February 12, 2009, 09:28:47 PM
pwnt

Admittedly, 75% of the child hauling is done in the Pilot, but I do regularly take the boys out in the Civic, and occasionally to see their grandpa, who lives 1.5 hours away.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 12, 2009, 09:30:50 PM
Admittedly, 75% of the child hauling is done in the Pilot, but I do regularly take the boys out in the Civic, and occasionally to see their grandpa, who lives 1.5 hours away.

You have Civic and Pilot
Hemi has Focus and Freestyle (isn't that his other car?)

:huh:

Cookie Monster

Quote from: NACar on February 12, 2009, 09:33:28 PM
You have Civic and Pilot

Freestyle is getting replaced.

And the Focus has two more doors than the Civic.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on February 12, 2009, 09:33:28 PM
You have Civic and Pilot

Yes, it is. I don't know how much kiddie hauling his Focus does though.

(My older son loves to ride in the Civic BTW, because he can see out the windshield much better, and it has a sunroof)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: thecarnut on February 12, 2009, 09:35:04 PM
Freestyle is getting replaced.

And the Focus has two more doors than the Civic.

Replace Freestyle with something cool, like a Flex! Not a Caravan :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 12, 2009, 09:27:34 PM

I have a 9, 4, and 3yr old. I drive a Subaru Legacy.

Like you said later, little cars are fine for OCCASIONAL family hauling, but long-term they don't work out.

Honestly I really WOULD trade the Caravan in for a Volvo 7seater wagon or the like, but the wife is stuck on the minivan now...
Will

SVT666

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 12, 2009, 09:35:04 PM
Yes, it is. I don't know how much kiddie hauling his Focus does though.

Very little.  Only when my wife needs her car and I need to go somewhere with the kids.