Ugly cars. Why?

Started by SVT666, February 12, 2009, 11:10:30 AM

SVT666

I'm looking at a Venza as I type this on my BlackBerry. A question popped into my head as I'm looking at the hideous grille.

Why are designers going out of their way to uglify their cars? This grille is much worse in person then in any picture I've seen of it. Its top bad too because the rest of the car is actually pretty decent looking.

I started thinking about it and their are a lot of cars on the road that are simply ugly just to be different. Why do they do it?

Laconian

My guess is it's because most people lack a sense of holistic taste when it comes to assessing a vehicle's aesthetics. They probably look to the well known stylistic elements but remain oblivious to the picture as a whole.

This is true for a lot of things in life. It's impossible to possess refined taste in everything.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

I don't think the average buyer thinks like us "enthusiasts" do. Design is subjective anyway and your average shopper probably is more interested in what the car offers (value, reliability etc.).
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 12, 2009, 11:47:38 AM
I don't think the average buyer thinks like us "enthusiasts" do. Design is subjective anyway and your average shopper probably is more interested in what the car offers (value, reliability etc.).
Yup.

Making REALLY BOLD stylistic statements is likely an effective way to communicate to the oblivious buyer, "THIS CAR HAS STYLE!"
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

By the way, the Venza ain't bad looking - for a Toyota.  :thumbsup:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

the Teuton

It's not ugly; it's "distinctive."
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Nethead

Quote from: the Teuton on February 12, 2009, 11:56:24 AM
It's not ugly; it's "distinctive."

the Teuton:  No, that's distinktive.
So many stairs...so little time...

NomisR

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 12, 2009, 11:47:38 AM

Beauty is subjective but ugliness is universal!

SVT666

That grille is even more "in your face" in person.  It's uglier too if that's possible.  The rest of the car is actually pretty decent though.

Tave

I can't stand those commercials that are trying to sell the *Venza* experience.

It's not a car. It's not a wagon. It's not an SUV. It's a lifestyle. It's a life. It is you.

It is            ...VENZA...
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

NomisR

Quote from: Tave on February 12, 2009, 02:10:52 PM
I can't stand those commercials that are trying to sell the *Venza* experience.

It's not a car. It's not a wagon. It's not an SUV. It's a lifestyle. It's a life. It is you.

It is            ...VENZA...

It's an identity crisis!

Secret Chimp

I forgot what a Venza was until I saw the picture. By the name, I thought it was some rinky-dink Korean thing.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

sparkplug

I reckon it is because some people don't want to drive a car better looking than them.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

AutobahnSHO

ewww.

The grill spoils an almost respectable vehicle.
Will

NomisR

Quote from: sparkplug on February 12, 2009, 05:12:22 PM
I reckon it is because some people don't want to drive a car better looking than them.

Well, either that or since they're on the inside of the car, they don't have to see it so they don't care.

Onslaught

All I know is the stuff coming out for Mazda is starting to look ugly. The new front bumpers for the 3 and RX-8 look like ass. And I figure all the others will go that way sometime.

sandertheshark

We've gone over this before.

It's a secret contest between Toyota and Honda to see who can trick us into buying the ugliest mainstream car ever made.

NomisR

Quote from: Onslaught on February 12, 2009, 09:20:48 PM
All I know is the stuff coming out for Mazda is starting to look ugly. The new front bumpers for the 3 and RX-8 look like ass. And I figure all the others will go that way sometime.

The little black teeth thing in front?  I didn't like it at first but it kinda grows on you.. like mold.

Onslaught

Quote from: NomisR on February 12, 2009, 10:52:50 PM
The little black teeth thing in front?  I didn't like it at first but it kinda grows on you.. like mold.
That big happy face black plastic shit on the new 3 is just butt ugly. Other than that I like the car but it just kills it for me.

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on February 13, 2009, 04:11:16 AM
That big happy face black plastic shit on the new 3 is just butt ugly. Other than that I like the car but it just kills it for me.
Yeah, I'm not liking the new Mazda front ends either.  The new 6 looks good, but the 3 and the RX-8 are too much.

2o6

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 13, 2009, 08:53:51 AM
Yeah, I'm not liking the new Mazda front ends either.  The new 6 looks good, but the 3 and the RX-8 are too much.

They look like Japanese Peugeots.

Tave

I like the Peugeot better.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Quote from: Tave on February 13, 2009, 08:59:21 AM
I like the Peugeot better.

The 308 looks better in live photos, but it's still generally ugly.

Those stupid smiles only look good on little cars.

NomisR

The 3 looks like an evil japanese with a big smile on his face. 

sportyaccordy

The Venza has an awesome side profile. In fact I was going to make a thread about how good it looks in commercials. I suppose 20" wheels and very careful camera angles will do that though...

And car companies are being overburdened more and more by having to design cars that face ever stricter safety regulations & competition from other manufacturers in size and interior volume. It's a tragedy style-wise but we all benefit in the long run.

MX793

Quote from: sandertheshark on February 12, 2009, 10:11:23 PM
We've gone over this before.

It's a secret contest between Toyota and Honda to see who can trick us into buying the ugliest mainstream car ever made.

GM already won, granted the Aztek wasn't a huge sales success.  But people bought them.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on February 13, 2009, 02:50:29 PM
GM already won, granted the Aztek Asstek wasn't a huge sales success.  But people bought them.

You're welcome.  :-)
Will

omicron

Quote from: Laconian on February 12, 2009, 11:45:17 AM
This is true for a lot of things in life. It's impossible to possess refined taste in everything.

Nonsense!

:praise:

Atomic

i saw a bright white one (v6 awd) loaded to the max on the showroom floor at a mega dealership yesterday. it looked pretty good in person. a bit quirky, but surprisingly upscale. 

USA_Idol

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 12, 2009, 01:55:35 PM

That grille is even more "in your face" in person.  It's uglier too if that's possible.  The rest of the car is actually pretty decent though.

I'll agree with that.  The grille is hideous in person, even more so than photos suggest.  But the rest of the Camry Wagon Venza is actually fairly decent.