"This name has a bad reputation" Do people EVER know what they're talking about?

Started by 2o6, February 12, 2009, 07:02:12 PM

2o6

I saw that people are a bit apprehensive to the Fiesta nameplate.

"That name has a bad reputation"

Since when? People do this with all sorts of cars. Why do they say this?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on February 12, 2009, 07:02:12 PM
I saw that people are a bit apprehensive to the Fiesta nameplate.

"That name has a bad reputation"

Since when? People do this with all sorts of cars. Why do they say this?

I doubt many buyers would even remember the last domestic Fiesta.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 12, 2009, 07:03:18 PM

That's what I said. It was sold here, what......... a year?

3.0L V6

Maybe they're worried about confusing it with the name Festiva.

93JC

Fiesta is easily confused for Festiva. Many people believe the Fiesta and Festiva were the same car.

Eye of the Tiger

I don't.
But people remember the Festiva, which lots of people pronounce it "fiesta" anyway.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on February 12, 2009, 07:06:35 PM
Fiesta is easily confused for Festiva. Many people believe the Fiesta and Festiva were the same car.

That's like confusing Torino and Toronado...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

the Teuton

I confused the two for the longest time.

Festiva and Fiesta are similar.

Needless to say, Nick is going to get one in 15 years or so and drop in an EcoBoost 3.5 into it.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

rohan

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 12, 2009, 07:08:58 PM
That's like confusing Torino and Toronado...
No it's not- it's more like confusing Geo Metro for Chevy Metro
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Mistaking Fiesta for Festiva is like mistaking Freestyle for Freestar.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 12, 2009, 07:30:43 PM

And it would happen all the time, if anyone had ever heard of either of them.

Minpin

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 12, 2009, 07:30:43 PM

Don't overestimate a non-car persons ability to confuse a camry with a porsche, either. Most people just dont give two shits, unfortunately.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

the Teuton

Easily confused names of recent memory:

Fiesta-Festiva
Catera-Carrera
Hyundai-Honda
Volvo 740 - BMW 740i
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Minpin

the Teuton

Minpin

the Teuton

Minpin

Vinsanity

For the longest time, I mistook the name of the rebadged North American Ford Sierra for the "Mercury XR4". It's become a habit by now, so don't bother to correct me.

SVT666

Quote from: ifcar on February 12, 2009, 07:33:45 PM
And it would happen all the time, if anyone had ever heard of either of them.
It does happen all the time.  What I say now is, "Ford Freestyle.  It's a crossover".

omicron

AutobahnSHO

Will

JWC

This thread reminded me of a customer who called me for a part when I worked for a Honda dealer.   The guy told me he had a "Honda" Excel.  I told him he needed to call the Hyundai dealer.  It took about a minute to explain to him that Honda and Hyundai are not the same company.  At a time when Hyundai was crap, I wondered if he thought he got a really good deal on a Honda.

sportyaccordy

Tave

Fiesta and Festiva: both Spanish names which mean "party" or "festival," refering to small Ford hatchbacks from the late-80s/early-90s with limited North American exposure. The Festiva actually replaced the Fiesta in America, and in other parts of the world where the two were sold concurrently, the Festiva was rebadged as the Mazda 121 so consumers wouldn't confuse them.

Yeah, you'd have to be a complete idiot to mix those two names up... :rolleyes:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.