2011 BMW 5-Series GT revealed

Started by SVT666, February 13, 2009, 08:46:50 AM

850CSi

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TBR

Quote from: Galaxy on February 13, 2009, 04:37:52 PM
Yes it's nice to see BMW copying a Skoda.

But you see the BMW system is much more pointless.

Galaxy

Quote from: TBR on February 13, 2009, 04:50:43 PM

More pointless yes, but even the Skoda Superb trunk is pointless to begin with. Although interesting from a mechanical point of view.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: TBR on February 13, 2009, 04:50:43 PM

How on earth is the BMW system more pointless? You get MORE trunk space and better flexibility with the BMW design, and it works the nearly same as the Skoda.

Galaxy

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on February 13, 2009, 05:31:19 PM

How on earth is the BMW system more pointless? You get MORE trunk space and better flexibility with the BMW design, and it works the nearly same as the Skoda.

The first stage opening is to small to be of much use. Also it looks like it's perfect to bang your head.

rohan

I like it but I don't love it I think I'll love the sedan though can't wait to see it.  Love the dual pipes- they needed that going all the way bakc to when they built my car.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Pommes-T

I actually l?ke it a lot. Sedans are simply impractical. When I moved out, I alway took the Golf instead of the A6 to transport larger things... The A6's trunk is simly very small. But as a station wagon it looks great too. But IMO E.class and 5-series don't, so offering an aerodynamic, cool looking hatch might be a great idea. Then again, I'm just a drunk german student without no mo?
ney...
'00 BMW 523i

The Pirate

I don't like it at all.  Cool concept, but like Galaxy said, the 'trunk' opening is not practical at all, unless all you're doing is sliding bodies in and out.

Give me a Touring version of the regular 5er, and I'm a happy man.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

omicron

So, is this when I need to be more practical than a sedan or X6, but not as practical as a Touring or X5, but not as high as an X6 or X5, but not as low as a Touring or sedan, but with more headroom than an X6, but not as much headroom as a sedan, Touring or X5, but less seats than a sedan, Touring or X5, but with more boot opening possibilities than a sedan, Touring, X5 or X6?

Makes sense, really.

Tave

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on February 13, 2009, 05:31:19 PM

Is the hatch the only option on the Skoda?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

sandertheshark

Front end isn't bad.  Profile isn't bad.  Rear is horrifying.

I can imagine people walking around this car in the dealer lot:  "Nice, nice, oh... oh my God, no!"

ChrisV

I've been hearing a lot of good things about it from people seeing it in person at Geneva. Looks like a lot of Europeans are seeing it as a luxury/performance step up from the typical European hatchback without going to the height (and negative image) of an SUV. And they are intentionally not making it still look like a sedan.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

r0tor

now i'm even more confused as to what the purpose in life is of the X6....
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Cookie Monster

LOL I thought I was looking at the X6 in those pics. :wtf:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

BimmerM3

I thought it looked pretty good in person, particularly the front end (which is all that I really care about since it probably won't change much for the sedan.

Here are a few of my pictures from Geneva:

Galaxy

It does look better in the pictures ChrisV posted. I wonder if that horrible beige color they keep showing it in is part of the problem. I would like to see it in black or white.

Raza

It looks like a lowered X6 with a new 7 series front, and in those pictures, pink, which makes it looks ever so slightly like an angry, snorting vagina with a blue and white clitoris. 

It's awful.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

The Company of Ideas explains the genesis of the PAS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MbM9UR0dxM&fmt=18

WHO? Who buys a BMW?
For someone who likes playing golf.
Or maybe surfing.
Anyway, someone who needs a lot of equipment.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Galaxy

Take a look here: http://www.bmw.de/de/de/insights/concept_vehicles/phase_2/content.html

It superimposes the silhouettes of the 5er GT, the 5er and the X6 at one point.

giant_mtb

Looks like it's probably a nightmare to see backwards out of (i.e. attempting to utilize your rear-view mirror).

Xer0

That color is horrible, it really makes it look cheap, imo.  But, as the 5er and X6 have proved, BMWs dont need to look particularly good to sell, they just have to be distinctive and this is just that. 

NomisR

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 12, 2009, 03:00:08 PM
Looks like it's probably a nightmare to see backwards out of (i.e. attempting to utilize your rear-view mirror).

iDrive will save you!

nickdrinkwater

Looks pretty awful.  The X6 has been a failure.  The R-Class was a failure.  The Signum and Vel Satis were failures.  Why is this going to be any different?

Laconian

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on March 12, 2009, 04:12:38 PM
The X6 is a failure?

of biblical proportions.

well, except they sell quite a few of them...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 12, 2009, 04:14:30 PM
of biblical proportions.

well, except they sell quite a few of them...

People buy them?  I've only seen 2 on the road so far.  I've seen more Lambos and other exotics than I have of X6.  Who the hell buys them?

Laconian

I've seen a handful around here.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on March 12, 2009, 04:17:13 PM
People buy them?  I've only seen 2 on the road so far.  I've seen more Lambos and other exotics than I have of X6.  Who the hell buys them?

pedophiles.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator