The 2009 TL... I'm starting to like...

Started by YO, February 14, 2009, 02:27:48 PM

YO

on funny side note... Acura service departments are panicking because they have very little warranty work... they can't survive on maintenance alone...
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

TBR

Quote from: Tave on February 17, 2009, 08:15:48 AM
I don't think you're getting it.

Just because the transmission is a common trouble spot for the Accord, doesn't mean that it will have more transmission problems per vehicle than an Audi (or more problems in general, which we know it won't).

Let's pretend that Honda has 104 problems reported per 100 vehicles, and Audi has 170 per 100.

Now, it might be a good idea to watch the transmission on your Accord if it's identified as a trouble area, but it doesn't make it less reliable than an A4.

I am getting it.

The difference is the A4 might have trim panel or electronic related problems, but the TL has a transmission problem, which requires REPLACEMENT of the transmission, a multi-thousand dollar fix.

TBR

Quote from: YO on February 17, 2009, 08:16:45 AM
That would be less that .001% of units sold.

Except that is just a web site where owner's can report their problems so all 900,000 or so of 2001-2003 Accords aren't represented.

Tave

Quote from: YO on February 17, 2009, 08:17:14 AM
the report was on raw numbers not percentages

Exactly my point. Any large batch of vehicles is going to have problems here and there, and more than likely, those which do will share some in common. But you can't use that as evidence for the statement, "Car X is less reliable than car Y because of Z." You have to look at percentages and probability to make that claim.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Tave

Quote from: TBR on February 17, 2009, 08:19:59 AM
The difference is the A4 might have trim panel or electronic related problems, but the TL has a transmission problem, which requires REPLACEMENT of the transmission, a multi-thousand dollar fix.

Now you're just making shit up.

Google "A4 transmission problems"
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

TBR

Quote from: Tave on February 17, 2009, 08:23:10 AM
Exactly my point. Any large batch of vehicles is going to have problems here and there, and more than likely, those which do will share some in common. But you can't use that as evidence for the statement, "Car X is less reliable than car Y because of Z." You have to look at percentages and probability to make that claim.

I am sure the class action lawsuit and the NHTSA recall don't mean a thing. :rolleyes:

I fucking give up. I have posted as much data as I can find yet you fan boys keep insisting it is "anecdotal", I don't know what you expect me to find, a list from Honda specifying how many transmission went in what cars? Because that isn't going to happen and you all know it. Evidently cars just don't have problems unless you all say so (though one of you did say so making this even more baffling).

Tave

The issue isn't whether or not certain Accords had transmission problems: we all know they did. But you can't extrapolate that observation to "prove" that the Accord's transmissions are less reliable than Audi's.

Tave

Quote from: TBR on February 17, 2009, 08:25:58 AM
I have posted as much data as I can find yet you fan boys keep insisting it is "anecdotal",

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

The expression anecdotal evidence has two quite distinct meanings.

(1) Evidence in the form of an anecdote or hearsay is called anecdotal if there is doubt about its veracity: the evidence itself is considered untrustworthy or untrue.

(2) Evidence, which may itself be true and verifiable, used to deduce a conclusion which does not follow from it, usually by generalizing from an insufficient amount of evidence. For example "my grandfather smoked like a chimney and died healthy in a car crash at the age of 99" does not disprove the proposition that "smoking markedly increases the probability of cancer and heart disease at a relatively early age". In this case, the evidence may itself be true, but does not warrant the conclusion.

In both cases the conclusion is unreliable; it might happen not to be untrue, but it doesn't follow from the "evidence".

Quote from: TBR on February 17, 2009, 08:25:58 AM
I don't know what you expect me to find, a list from Honda specifying how many transmission went in what cars?

Exactly. To support the claim, "Honda transmissions are less reliable than Audi transmissions," you will need to provide statistical evidence.

QuoteBecause that isn't going to happen and you all know it.

So you're just lazy? I'm sure the stats are out there if you look for them, but I'm sceptical that they will prove your assertion.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Tave

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 17, 2009, 08:34:27 AM
Yup, anecdotal. Oh, how Honda wishes you were right.

http://world.honda.com/news/2004/c040630.html

You really need to calm down and think about this for a second.

Once again, WE ALL KNOW THAT CERTAIN ACCORDS HAD TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS. That is a proven fact.

But even proven facts can be used as anecdotal evidence.

CALL_911

Quote from: Tave on February 17, 2009, 08:38:48 AM
You really need to calm down and think about this for a second.

Once again, WE ALL KNOW THAT CERTAIN ACCORDS HAD TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS. That is a proven fact.

But even proven facts can be used as anecdotal evidence.

I'm not sure how, but if you say so. :huh:

So you're implying that the Honda recall is about as anecdotal as my claim that our own A4s have been more reliable than our TLs?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Tave

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 17, 2009, 08:40:38 AM
I'm not sure how, but if you say so. :huh:

Read the link I provided

QuoteSo you're implying that the Honda recall is about as anecdotal as my claim that our own A4s have been more reliable than our TLs?

It's anecdotal in the sense that you guys are using it to "prove" the claim, "Honda transmissions are less reliable than Audi transmissions."

You can't make that assertion based soley off the number of recalled Accords. You must provide statistical evidence showing the percentage of Accords with transmission problems relative to the percentage of A4s or A6s with transmission problems.

And for the record, that is EXACTLY what I'm implying:

"the evidence may itself be true, but does not warrant the conclusion"

CALL_911

Quote from: Tave on February 17, 2009, 08:46:21 AM
Read the link I provided

It's anecdotal in the sense that you guys are using it to "prove" the claim, "Honda transmissions are less reliable than Audi transmissions."

You can't make that assertion based soley off the number of recalled Accords. You must provide statistical evidence showing the percentage of Accords with transmission problems relative to the percentage of A4s or A6s with transmission problems.

I figured that the pure idea that Honda had to recall that many Accords would kinda show that it wasn't exactly a confined problem.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Tave

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 17, 2009, 08:49:00 AM
I figured that the pure idea that Honda had to recall that many Accords would kinda show that it wasn't exactly a confined problem.

:banghead:

The issue isn't whether or not Honda transmissions have failed, but whether or not they fail more often than Audi transmissions.

GoCougs

CALL_911 ain't a bad guy, but he's just trolling now as a diversion. He got caught up and now he's obsessing about transmissions.

MrH

The closest thing we can easily find to statistically significant data on the reliability of the two (which, mind you, is the argument at hand here.  The original statement claimed a new Acura would be more reliable than a new Audi) would be something like a JD Power report.

Looking at the dependability ratings, Acura ties or beats Audi is every category.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/dependability-ratings-by-brand
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Audi vs Acura now?

I was just finding facts on Honda/Acura transmission failures.

Submariner

I wonder though which does suffer from more transmission failures.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on February 16, 2009, 05:38:09 PM
For the last 10 years the TL hasn't moved from being a mid/upper 14-sec performer (a smidge better for the Type-S). The competition has made significant strides with the IS350, G37 and 335i utterly wasting on the TL in the present day.

It's probably the best quality and most reliable of the lot, and I own the TL's seed car (Accord), but its acceleration gains have been nil for a decade.

That's the statement that originally started this debate.

Try reading the whole thread, 2o6.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Quote from: Submariner on February 17, 2009, 09:33:09 AM
I wonder though which does suffer from more transmission failures.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

The world may never know...
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

Submariner

Quote from: MrH on February 17, 2009, 09:34:31 AM
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

The world may never know...

Fuck that stupid owl!
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

YO

not true

Quote from: MrH on February 17, 2009, 09:29:28 AM
The closest thing we can easily find to statistically significant data on the reliability of the two (which, mind you, is the argument at hand here.  The original statement claimed a new Acura would be more reliable than a new Audi) would be something like a JD Power report.

Looking at the dependability ratings, Acura ties or beats Audi is every category.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/dependability-ratings-by-brand

MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

Raza

I am physically repulsed every time I see one.  The car is repugnant. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

YO

MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on February 17, 2009, 12:33:31 PM
I am physically repulsed every time I see one.  The car is repugnant. 

I thought about it for a bit, and have come to realize that the new TL compared to the previous one is like that one lady who had WAYY too much plastic surgery done. Except that it's especially shameful for the car because the 04-08 TL was my favorite looking car in its class.

YO

still feeling better about the TL everyday I see one... looks strong and as soon as people relate the grill to Acura, their signature "look" will be instilled...

Everyone complained about Acura for being to vanilla for so long... I think they did the right thing...

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 17, 2009, 03:26:33 PM
I thought about it for a bit, and have come to realize that the new TL compared to the previous one is like that one lady who had WAYY too much plastic surgery done. Except that it's especially shameful for the car because the 04-08 TL was my favorite looking car in its class.
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

Vinsanity

Quote from: YO on February 17, 2009, 04:55:43 PM
still feeling better about the TL everyday I see one... looks strong and as soon as people relate the grill to Acura, their signature "look" will be instilled...

doesn't always work...