Flapping Caravan sounds

Started by AutobahnSHO, February 15, 2009, 12:15:11 PM

AutobahnSHO

Upon starup the Caravan is making an awful flapping noise- at idle or revved up.

Looks like the serpentine belt is bouncing around some. Also that the tensioner pulley is a little crooked, but I can't tell for sure. I THINK that's the problem. (And I had one go out on my '92 van when I came off a curb wrong during moving- I think I caught the belt/ crankshaft pulley on the curb and broke the tensioner.)

After driving 10-15min, the noise goes away. It looks like it's bouncing from the bottom (crankshaft) which goes up to the tension pulley. So I checked to see if there was a rock or something stuck in the belt, which there isn't. I pushed a little on the belt while it was running  (w/ an endwrench) and the sound was lessened.
Belt is new- it was squeaking really badly about two months ago.

Any good way to check if this is the problem for sure??
Will

S204STi

Take the belt off and fiddle with the tensioner, see if it moves too easily or had notchy movement.

AutobahnSHO

sigh- I hate that.

I think I might just go buy a serpentine belt removal kit- I've rented the one from Autozone several times, I used the one at the Army garage at least twice a year in Maryland, and a friend said they need some help learning how to do theirs very very soon.

Will

AutobahnSHO

PS-
How hard is window motor replacement??
Dodge wants $300-400.

I still have around $1k of tax money left for car repairs- and the wife said if we have any left over I can get me a new bike.!....
Will

S204STi

Haven't done one on a Chrysler product, but depending on the vehicle they can be quite easy.  Remove the door panel and find out if you can remove the motor in the vehicle or if the whole regulator has to come out.  If so, raise the window, tape it to the door frame, unbolt from the regulator and lower it from the window, unbolt the regulator from the door and you're set.

S204STi

Some of the scissor style regulators can be diffucult to deal with.  If you have one of those just be warned that it will pinch your fingers if you're not careful.

AutobahnSHO

cool, thanks. I'll look at it eventually...

Tomorrow I HAVE to look at the belt thing though..
Will

AutobahnSHO

Will