WTF? This is why I don't think I could work in auto service

Started by MX793, February 15, 2009, 02:08:10 PM

MX793

To preface, I've been having some rust issues with my car.  Noticed some blisters in the rear fender paint this summer and they have since popped and the paint is starting to just fall off the fender (plus some spots around the 3rd brake light).  At the moment I've got a bare/rusty spot a bit larger than a quarter on the fender and it's growing fast.  Needless to say, I'm not very happy.  Poking around the web, this apparently has been an issue on a number of early 3s, mostly in northern climates (most complaints are on Canadian forums, haven't found any for US owners yet).  It was also an issue with some Proteges in the early '00s.

So anyway, I decided to start searching some of the brands/models I'm interested in as replacements to see if there's any history of rust issues.  While checking up on Hyundai complaints, since the Genesis coupe is a potential next-buy, I came across this gem:

QuoteThen, about a month ago, my tire pressure light came on and the pressue in all 4 tires were low so I took it back in. THey didnt find any nails and simply told me that the weather is getting colder. The one guy even asked if I had anyone that would want to sabotage my car! So, they fill the tires, the lights out and I'm okay. About a week ago, the light is back on so I call. He states they recd about 20 calls regarding that and its' the cold weather. I understand the whole thing with tire air and the cold weather but if cold weather is going to make that light come on every time, I dont want that car. That car has caused me nothing but GRIEF since I've had. I'm trying to work out the lemon law but I'm all around it, not on it.

WTF?  There's nothing wrong with your car, this is a natural phenomena.  Colder temperatures make your tire pressures drop, dropped pressure triggers your TPS.  Any car you buy with TPS will do the same damn thing.  This is right up there with people who bought Hummers and then complained about poor fuel mileage.  Dealing with people like this day in and day out would literally drive me bonkers.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

Speed_Racer

He wants to lemon law a car because of that? What a whiner. He must be looking for a reason to ditch the car, if something that small ruins his whole perception of it.

GoCougs

Nice rant; r0tor would be proud.

Have solace that that person is laughed at by the whole of the system s/he is fighting; LOL - especially pursuing a lemon law case.

Eye of the Tiger

The government says every car has to have TPMS now. Just think of all the idiots out there who will be taking their new cars into the dealerships now because of low tire pressure.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: Speed_Racer on February 15, 2009, 02:13:31 PM
He wants to lemon law a car because of that? What a whiner. He must be looking for a reason to ditch the car, if something that small ruins his whole perception of it.

That was an excerpt, not the full complaint.  The first part of the complaint was that the car apparently had a faulty brake booster and master cylinder that required replacement when the car was only a few months old and it took two trips to the dealer to diagnose and fix (didn't find anything the first time, found and fixed the second time).  However, this also wouldn't qualify for Lemon law status.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

Quote from: MX793 on February 15, 2009, 02:20:46 PM
That was an excerpt, not the full complaint.  The first part of the complaint was that the car apparently had a faulty brake booster and master cylinder that required replacement when the car was only a few months old and it took two trips to the dealer to diagnose and fix (didn't find anything the first time, found and fixed the second time).  However, this also wouldn't qualify for Lemon law status.

See, that's another thing that bugs me.  I am very reluctant to just replace things based on the fact that the customer is complaining about something.  Yet if I don't throw a part at the problem they piss and moan about it.  I've been bit often enough to know better, so I deal with the complaining.

AutobahnSHO

And it's not very easy to get it right 100% of the time.
I've been to the repair shop twice for at least half of my repairs.

The only time I was totally impressed was when I took my then 15-yrold 1983 Honda to a small "import" garage and described the sound it was making.
Guy at the counter says, "Water pump."
Me: You sure?
Guy: Yup.
Me: can you come out and listen to it?
We go outside, turn it on-
Guy: Totally sure it's the waterpump.

For about $150 they put a new one on and the sound went away..
Will

S204STi

Well most of the time I can figure it out the first time.  But a "no trouble found" diagnosis is what it is.  I am not going to guess.

TBR

Quote from: MX793 on February 15, 2009, 02:20:46 PM

That's not really that big of a deal, it seems that most new cars have a couple of problems in the first 10,000 miles or so.

Certainly not lemon law worthy, that's for sure.

The moral of the story- never underestimate the number of idiots in the world.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on February 15, 2009, 02:17:59 PM
The government says every car has to have TPMS now. Just think of all the idiots out there who will be taking their new cars into the dealerships now because of low tire pressure.

They do?

Shit.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on February 15, 2009, 03:26:04 PM
What shit?

Shit. Now its going to be more expensive to replace wheels and tires, and shit, another worthless electronanny to further weigh down the car and increase its price.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 15, 2009, 03:27:52 PM
Shit. Now its going to be more expensive to replace wheels and tires, and shit, another worthless electronanny to further weigh down the car and increase its price.

Depends on how the TPS is implemented.  Some use sensors in the wheels, others use the ABS speed sensors.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Rupert

Quote from: TBR on February 15, 2009, 03:02:43 PM
That's not really that big of a deal, it seems that most new cars have a couple of problems in the first 10,000 miles or so.

Certainly not lemon law worthy, that's for sure.

The moral of the story- never underestimate the number of idiots in the world.

What's the population of the world? 6 billion? Then there are 5,999,999,999 idiots in the world. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 15, 2009, 03:27:52 PM

Yeah, it's dumb. The up side is that people will probably put the right amount of air in their tires, which is safer and more efficient.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on February 15, 2009, 03:31:34 PM
Yeah, it's dumb. The up side is that people will probably put the right amount of air in their tires, which is safer and more efficient.

That's true, I suppose; but people should be routinely checking that anyways; and tire pressure monitors can't tell you how much tread you have left or whether or not the tire has been damaged.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on February 15, 2009, 03:29:05 PM
Depends on how the TPS is implemented.  Some use sensors in the wheels, others use the ABS speed sensors.

So, with that speed sensor based system: what happens if I want to change my tire size?

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 15, 2009, 03:40:17 PM
So, with that speed sensor based system: what happens if I want to change my tire size?

I think the speed sensor system only picks up if one wheel is spinning differently from the others.  If such is the case, changing tire sizes shouldn't matter so long as they're all the same size.  Though it begs the question of whether it warns you if all tires are low on pressure (like in the winter when temperatures drop and tire pressures can drop near 30%).
Needs more Jiggawatts

TBR

Quote from: Psilos on February 15, 2009, 03:30:28 PM
What's the population of the world? 6 billion? Then there are 5,999,999,999 idiots in the world. :lol:
Have a little self confidence, you're not an idiot either. That makes it 5,999,999,998.

Eye of the Tiger

I don't like sensors in the wheels, but they have to be a lot more accurate than using wheel speed.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 15, 2009, 03:39:47 PM
That's true, I suppose; but people should be routinely checking that anyways; and tire pressure monitors can't tell you how much tread you have left or whether or not the tire has been damaged.

Indeed. Of course, people don't.

Quote from: Psilos on February 15, 2009, 03:30:28 PM

Rupert

Quote from: TBR on February 15, 2009, 03:45:12 PM
Have a little self confidence, you're not an idiot either. That makes it 5,999,999,998.

Ha!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on February 15, 2009, 03:52:15 PM
Indeed. Of course, people don't.

I do. But, as you've no doubt come to the conclusion already that I'm not exactly a fair representative of what the average person does, take that for whatever you'll take that for.

S204STi

All the newer ones use sensors.  FWIW I think Ford uses a band around the wheel, rather than one that bolts in to the stem hole.

S204STi

Quote from: NACar on February 15, 2009, 03:45:22 PM
I don't like sensors in the wheels, but they have to be a lot more accurate than using wheel speed.

Correct.  The ABS based systems only detect if one tire is lower than the others, not the actual pressure.  Now, this system works like crap if all of your tires are low simultaneously.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 15, 2009, 04:06:24 PM
I do. But, as you've no doubt come to the conclusion already that I'm not exactly a fair representative of what the average person does, take that for whatever you'll take that for.

I do, too. I guess we're not people.  :huh:

AutobahnSHO

I check them every now and again, but I know a little bit more than the average id10t.
Will

JWC

One thing I make people aware of, if you buy a used car and the TPMS light is on, check tire pressures BEFORE you buy the car.  If the light will not reset, it has a bad sensor or a missing sensor.

I've had two cars that had custom wheels installed and when it was sold, the originals were put back on with sensors missing.  Very expensive to replace.   I've also had several that tire jockeys have broken the bands when installing new tires.