Official: New E-Class Coupe

Started by VroomVroom, February 16, 2009, 10:26:56 AM

VroomVroom

Still not sure if I'd take this over a Audi A5 :rockon:

hotrodalex

The details flow better on this compared to the sedan.

omicron

The problem with this car, as with the new C and E sedan, is as follows:

Galaxy

The slight differences to the headlights compared with the sedan makes such a huge difference. I'm pretty sure that the sedan will get this with the facelift.

TBR

Somehow the coupe does look significantly  better than the sedan to me.

Cookie Monster

This looks great, especially compared to the sedan.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

cawimmer430

Looks awesome. Really elegant and not as feminine as the C209, but still subtly aggressive.  :mrcool:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

sandertheshark

Honestly, how many models does MB need?  What are they gonna call this, the EL?  ELK?

Submariner

Quote from: sandertheshark on February 16, 2009, 06:56:24 PM
Honestly, how many models does MB need?  What are they gonna call this, the EL?  ELK?

They're a bit bloated at this point.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

That being said...it looks fantastic.

Though, I have one question.  Why does the CL not have a Pano roof?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

YO

BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

sportyaccordy

Too much metal between the rear window & wheel well

CALL_911

Wow, that looks 100x better than the sedan.

Is this now a C212?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Tave

Quote from: sandertheshark on February 16, 2009, 06:56:24 PM

I believe this replaces the CLK.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

2o6

cozmik

This does look much better than the sedan. The only thing that concerns me is the interior. For the prices I'm sure they'll be asking, I'm not sure it's plush enough. It looks a little mainstream honestly.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

cawimmer430

Quote from: cozmik on February 17, 2009, 08:05:53 AM
The only thing that concerns me is the interior. For the prices I'm sure they'll be asking, I'm not sure it's plush enough. It looks a little mainstream honestly.

The interior is just fine. I've seen the new E-Class up close, sat in it, touched the interior and felt around a bit and it made a solid impression on me. MB interiors don't have to be plush, they're conservatively styled but elegant and fluid in their own way.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Still not convinced.

Not that I would ever buy another Mercedes (except for a C Class AMG; doesn't really matter which one).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

YO

BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

68_427

Still not a fan, IMO the rear looks fat/heavy.  There too much body on top of the rear tires.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

850CSi

That's a great angle but it looks like an Audi.

CALL_911

Quote from: 850CSi on February 17, 2009, 03:22:01 PM

That's a great angle but it looks like an Audi.

That might be the best compliment MB's current design team has gotten.

It isn't bad, but I think the E92 and the A5/S5 looks better.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MrH

Quote from: 68_427 on February 17, 2009, 02:56:41 PM
Still not a fan, IMO the rear looks fat/heavy.  There too much body on top of the rear tires.

I agree.  It has something to do with how long the rear over hang is.  It just looks bulky and awkward behind the C-pillar.

But it still looks infinitely better than the sedan.

Oh, and the interior is still ugly.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

cozmik

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 17, 2009, 08:54:47 AM
The interior is just fine. I've seen the new E-Class up close, sat in it, touched the interior and felt around a bit and it made a solid impression on me. MB interiors don't have to be plush, they're conservatively styled but elegant and fluid in their own way.

The E coupe gets a revised interior. And just fine isn't enough in this segment. The interior of this is restrained in a Saab/Volvo way. It doesn't say German luxury. Which, btw, is what it's supposed to be in the US market.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

cawimmer430

Quote from: cozmik on February 18, 2009, 07:36:00 AM
The E coupe gets a revised interior. And just fine isn't enough in this segment. The interior of this is restrained in a Saab/Volvo way. It doesn't say German luxury. Which, btw, is what it's supposed to be in the US market.

Restrained is a very fitting word for Mercedes interiors. The only plush Mercedes' interior of recent times is that of the CLS, S and CL-Class. The rest are all conservative. It's a tradition ever since the 1970s.

I hope you're not going to tell me that Americans find those cheapo Lexus interiors "plush".  :mask:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Hachee

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 18, 2009, 08:11:48 AM
Restrained is a very fitting word for Mercedes interiors. The only plush Mercedes' interior of recent times is that of the CLS, S and CL-Class. The rest are all conservative. It's a tradition ever since the 1970s.

I hope you're not going to tell me that Americans find those cheapo Lexus interiors "plush".  :mask:

I agree that "fine" isn't enough, but perhaps that's the wrong word.  Restrained is better, and you're right in that it's been a tradition for a long time.  And since MB's have sold so well in the US for a long time, I think that many buyers find the interiors to be exactly what they want.

I was just in the back seat of a W211 (current E Class?? I can't keep track of the codes!), and I was VERY impressed.  Not plush, but very solid, the seats were firm, felt very much like an old Mercedes (in a good way).  I expect the new model to be no worse.  I actually really like the new interior, with the exception of the way they integrated the nav screen and the placement of the shifter, which in the coupe is in the right place.

The more I see, though, I just don't see the elegance and grace of older E coupes and convertibles. 

Pommes-T

When I saw it in person (camourflaged) I thought it looked bad, now I like it. What'S really phenomenal about this car is its astonishing aerodynamics (cw=0,24, which is a world record I heard).
'00 BMW 523i

USA_Idol

Despite losing a pair of doors and getting a mildly improved nose design compared to the sedan...this Benz is still homely, in my opinion.   :huh:

The A5 is much better-looking.  'Nuff said.   :praise: