MG mechanic says...

Started by Rupert, February 19, 2009, 12:50:54 AM

Rupert

Quote from: NACar on February 22, 2009, 07:04:35 PM
Hmm... I would also have to build an intake manifold. This may have to go under your "bad idea" thead.

No, that is a very good idea.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 22, 2009, 07:05:32 PM
Cool. If you're ever in Geogia with it, I want a ride. :-)

If you're ever in Boise, I'll give you one. ;)

Actually, that's probably waaay more likely than me being in GA.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Eye of the Tiger

This solves all of your problems:

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/LeRoyBarton.htm
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Psilos on February 22, 2009, 07:21:19 PM
If you're ever in Boise, I'll give you one. ;)

Actually, that's probably waaay more likely than me being in GA.

hehe I was born in St Luke's and my extended family is all there.
I'll let you know next time I'm around. (although the last time was 2003..)
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: NACar on February 22, 2009, 10:01:25 PM
This solves all of your problems:

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/LeRoyBarton.htm

Ok, why does that car have two gas pedals?

Eye of the Tiger

OK... I JUST realized there is a piece of polished sheet metal there, and it is just a reflection. It's early in the morning.

Secret Chimp

I was convinced for a moment as well.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

S204STi

Quote from: NACar on February 23, 2009, 08:28:13 AM
OK... I JUST realized there is a piece of polished sheet metal there, and it is just a reflection. It's early in the morning.

lawl

Rupert

Quote from: NACar on February 23, 2009, 08:28:13 AM

Oooooooooh...

Now I see it.

:loopy:

Rupert

An MG guy thinks it might be a vacuum leak in the intake. Seems like it's that, or burning oil. :huh:

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Psilos on February 23, 2009, 06:45:38 PM
An MG guy thinks it might be a vacuum leak in the intake. Seems like it's that, or burning oil. :huh:

Hello, excuse to polish the intake!

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

Bah, too much effort. I need to pass the emissions test before Sunday. I'm pretty sure it's a vacuum line or something. If I fix the vacuum leak, I'll need to re-adjust the mixture and probably balance on the carbs... Furg. Maybe I'll just take it back to the mechanic. He could probably find the leak and pull the intake and fix the leak and adjust the carbs and put an SHO engine in in 15 minutes.

How does one find a vacuum leak, anyway?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on February 23, 2009, 09:18:55 PM
Bah, too much effort. I need to pass the emissions test before Sunday. I'm pretty sure it's a vacuum line or something. If I fix the vacuum leak, I'll need to re-adjust the mixture and probably balance on the carbs... Furg. Maybe I'll just take it back to the mechanic. He could probably find the leak and pull the intake and fix the leak and adjust the carbs and put an SHO engine in in 15 minutes.

Spray carb cleaner around each vacuum line and intake gasket area, one at a time. When the vacuum leak sucks it up, the engine idle will change. If you have a little portable propane torch, use that, as it is less messy, and less flammable than getting carb cleaner everywhere.

Rupert

Ah, so, torch lit, wave the flame around the intake gasket area and vacuum line, until the flame is sucked in? Or no flame, just gas?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on February 23, 2009, 10:00:10 PM
Ah, so, torch lit, wave the flame around the intake gasket area and vacuum line, until the flame is sucked in? Or no flame, just gas?

LOL. No, don't light it! :lol: Just spray the gas over the vacuum lines, gaskets, etc, anything downstream or connected to the carbs... obviously, you'd be doing this outside with plenty of ventilation and the engine running. When the vacuum leak sucks in the propane, the idle should go up.

Rupert

Right. Flame bad.

What about the hose to the ear method? That seems less combustible, but also less reliable? Seems like with those HCs, there would have to be a decent sized leak...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on February 23, 2009, 10:54:00 PM
Right. Flame bad.

What about the hose to the ear method? That seems less combustible, but also less reliable? Seems like with those HCs, there would have to be a decent sized leak...

I don't see how sticking hoses in your ears will help anything.

Rupert

The other end is stuck near wear you think the leak is...

0_o ;)

Byteme

Quote from: NACar on February 23, 2009, 11:00:52 PM
I don't see how sticking hoses in your ears will help anything.

Works like a stethoscope.  Helps you pinpoint where a sound is coming from.

Laconian

Quote from: Byteme on February 24, 2009, 10:19:05 AM
Works like a stethoscope.  Helps you pinpoint where a sound is coming from.
What if it's a big leak? Bye-bye, eardrums. :lol:

What about observing the movement of droplits within a mist when backlit? You could spray something less evil than carb cleaner since you won't be making an effort to inhibit normal combustion.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Psh, they have hearing aids. :lol:

I think it would be easier to combine a hose and my ear with propane. Droplets sounds complicated and, like, physics.

However, I called the Air Quality Board of Bullshit today, and I get an automatic fine-free extension until the end of April! I scratched my head a bit, but that's what she said.

So screw this urgency; I'll get around to it in due time.  :devil: :ohyeah:

Eye of the Tiger

Good news, but I'm suprised the AQBB is letting you off this easily.

Rupert

Seriously. Apparently, I didn't even have to ask for the extension, and there's a thing in the mail telling me about it.

They're not exactly letting me off; I've just got two more months to deal with it...

AutobahnSHO

put an SHO engine in in 15 minutes.

:nono:

Even into a SHO that's pretty impossible.   :thumbsup:
Will

Rupert

S204STi

Easiest way is to grab a can of carb clean and spritz it at anything resembling a hose or gasket surface.  If it starts to noticeably chug when you hit a certain area you've found the source of your leak.

S204STi

Not sure a vacuum leak would cause a rich condition though, just thought I'd point that out.  I know it doesn't with EFI, not sure about Carbs.

Rupert

Well, the idea is that since the HCs at idle are the only thing that's really high, it's a misfire at idle. The vacuum leak, uh....

Brain died.