MG mechanic says...

Started by Rupert, February 19, 2009, 12:50:54 AM

Rupert

I done good! I had the air cleaners in the wrong hole, the valves too loose, and the mixture on one of the carbs was a little off. This is pretty good, considering that this is the first time I've ever done all of that (and the stuff I got totally right)! I'd put the bad mileage on the engine not warming up enough in this cold weather. He thought it ran great, and recommended running the engine on the freeway for a while to warm it up until the tank is empty-ish, then putting a bit of E85 in there for the test. I'm gonna replace the plugs, too. I'll retard the timing if it still doesn't pass.

It's a really cool shop. He's an older guy, and he's been working on old cars, mostly British, since '63 (this is why I'm so happy he complimented my work, even if some things weren't perfect). He had a Jag Mark II under a tarp outside, an MGB with a Chevy 4.3 L conversion in progress (yeah!), and a Formula Ford being cleaned (he still does a bunch of hill climbs annually), all his. There was only one other car in the shop (and the XJ outside), which was a customer's E-Type 'vert, creamy-colored, getting a 5-speed conversion. Beautiful car.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Secret Chimp

I'd be afraid of the E85 in any proportion. That stuff eats modern gas systems not equipped to use it, much less an old-ass British car.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

giant_mtb

Sounds like he knows what he's doing to me. :huh:

S204STi

Actually I bet the fuel system in the MG is purely mechanical, in which case the only risk is to metal lines (which is not much of a risk).  Maybe Psilos can shine some light on his fuel system for us...

Byteme

Quote from: R-inge on February 19, 2009, 07:42:27 AM
Actually I bet the fuel system in the MG is purely mechanical, in which case the only risk is to metal lines (which is not much of a risk).  Maybe Psilos can shine some light on his fuel system for us...

There will be some rubber diaphrams in the SU's and at least one in the electric SU fuel pump.  If the car has an electric pump, also the needle valves in the float bowls.

I wouldn't think a bit of e-85 used long enough to pass an emissions test will destroy them.

Rupert

I'll only put a gallon or so in. It'll be diluted with real gas directly after the test. I'm not worried.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Laconian

While you're at it, sacrifice a chicken and pour its blood into the gas tank.

May the car gods smile upon thee.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Rupert

I went for a drive to try to drain the tank today. Seems that the bad gas mileage goes away when it's on the freeway, which supports the theory that it's due to the choke. I didn't have enough time to drain it enough, so emissions tomorrow.

However, I can say with confidence that the car will do 100 mph. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on February 21, 2009, 06:02:32 PM
I went for a drive to try to drain the tank today. Seems that the bad gas mileage goes away when it's on the freeway, which supports the theory that it's due to the choke. I didn't have enough time to drain it enough, so emissions tomorrow.

However, I can say with confidence that the car will do 100 mph. :lol:

Cool, how long did it take to get there though?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

I was already doing 85, so only about 5 min. :lol:

Well, really, I was already doing 85, so I have no idea from a stop. From 85 and 4250 rpm, approximately 15-30 seconds (I'm recalling that from memory) to 100 and 5000-ish rpm.

280Z Turbo

Alcohol wouldn't be good for the rubber fuel lines either.

Rupert

Yeah, but it'll only be in there in any worrisome concentration for an hour, tops. There's a gas station here that sells ethanol-free gas that I might fill it with for a couple of tanks.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Psilos on February 21, 2009, 06:18:08 PM
I was already doing 85, so only about 5 min. :lol:

Well, really, I was already doing 85, so I have no idea from a stop. From 85 and 4250 rpm, approximately 15-30 seconds (I'm recalling that from memory) to 100 and 5000-ish rpm.

I'll bet you money cash that your speedometer was lying :P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rupert

Do I care? I know the tach is about 100 rpm optimistic at idle. ;)

AutobahnSHO

100mph w/ how much hp?

That probably feels scary in a car that old/ small anyway. (Just because of the suspension improvements since then. Not bashing the car.)
Will

Rupert

66 (?) hp when new.

It's actually a surprisingly stable car at speed. There's a bit of a shimmy, which I think is unbalanced wheels. I was surprised.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on February 22, 2009, 02:10:59 PM
66 (?) hp when new.

It's actually a surprisingly stable car at speed. There's a bit of a shimmy, which I think is unbalanced wheels. I was surprised.

66 hp? HA! Swift has you beat by 4! (or maybe 5 after the rebuild!)  :praise:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Yeah, but your car is 23 years newer. :ohyeah:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on February 22, 2009, 02:44:19 PM
Yeah, but your car is 23 years newer. :ohyeah:

What are all the specs on your engine?

Eye of the Tiger

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=63195

According to that, you have a

1275cc 8v pushrod thingy
with two SU carbys
8.8:1 compression
65 bhp @ 6,000 rpm
72 ft-lb @ 3,000 rpm

Interestingly, it puts out nearly as much power as the slightly larger and more "advanced" Swift engine ...

1298cc SOHC 8v roller rocker thingy
with one tiny TBI
9.5:1 compression
70 hp @ 6,000 rpm
74 lb-ft @ 3,000 rpm

Rupert

It's the SUs. They're awesome.

On a related note, maybe they aren't. I re-tested the emissions, and it failed again. It was a much nicer scorecard this time:

2500 rpm, test/standard:
CO   2.8/5        Pass
HC   325/900    Pass

Idle test:
CO   4.6/5        Pass
HC   3910/900   FAIL

But still, the HC at idle are crappy. It's not burning enough fuel at idle, but I know that the ignition system is good. So, WTF?

BTW, I tried running straight E85, but it wouldn't idle at all (stalled), so I mixed it with regular gas.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Psilos on February 22, 2009, 06:05:32 PM
It's the SUs. They're awesome.

On a related note, maybe they aren't. I re-tested the emissions, and it failed again. It was a much nicer scorecard this time:

2500 rpm, test/standard:
CO   2.8/5        Pass
HC   325/900    Pass

Idle test:
CO   4.6/5        Pass
HC   3910/900   FAIL

But still, the HC at idle are crappy. It's not burning enough fuel at idle, but I know that the ignition system is good. So, WTF?

BTW, I tried running straight E85, but it wouldn't idle at all (stalled), so I mixed it with regular gas.

You may have to buy an aftermarket cat and bolt it in for the test.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

I'm gonna put SU's on the Swift when I move to Michigan.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NACar on February 22, 2009, 06:31:16 PM
I'm gonna put SU's on the Swift when I move to Michigan.

I've a pair of downdraft Webers set up for the VW I'm probably not going to use...

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 22, 2009, 06:09:22 PM
You may have to buy an aftermarket cat and bolt it in for the test.

The tester guy was sympathetic to my plight. I bet I could get a cat, hose-clamp it to the exhaust tip (with a hose, too, duh), and stick the tester head in the end of the cat. I refuse to cut my exhaust!

Rupert

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 22, 2009, 06:32:38 PM
I've a pair of downdraft Webers set up for the VW I'm probably not going to use...

Oh? That sounds like fun.

What sort of VW do you have? I'm not sure if I've ever seen a post about it.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 22, 2009, 06:32:38 PM

Hmm... I would also have to build an intake manifold. This may have to go under your "bad idea" thead.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Psilos on February 22, 2009, 02:10:59 PM
66 (?) hp when new.

Cool. If you're ever in Geogia with it, I want a ride. :-)
Will