Car repairs?

Started by AutobahnSHO, February 20, 2009, 09:43:24 AM

AutobahnSHO

I have a thread open in the Garage on my Subaru.
I'm about to resurrect another (which I thought was dead,) on my van.

What's the general consensus with car repairs- if they can't fix your car because they ordered the wrong part, and it drags out an ENTIRE WEEK, should they give you a loaner? Drop the price?
Will

The Pirate

You can certainly ask, though I don't think they are under any obligation to offer either.

I can understand your frustration, but ordering the wrong part could be an honest mistake.  I'd probably ask for a loaner (stating that you have a wife and several kids who need the vehicle), and see what they come back with.  Is this place otherwise pretty good, or are they shady?  I suppose that would determine my demands.

And I feel your pain, I just finished replacing the 3rd brake caliper in less than 3 years on my car! 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

My normal mechanic is pretty good about these kinds of things.  I have never had to pick up my car late.

But smaller shops cannot usually verify things like times or give you loaners, so unless they have not called you to quell your concerns, I'd demand some kind of discount for the waste of time because time is money.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Do your own work, that way when something gets screwed up, you don't have to scream at somebody else.  :lol:

Bought the wrong brake caliper for my car the other day, had to go back and get the correct one.  My buddy is still getting a kick out of asking me which is right, and which is left...
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

AutobahnSHO

These are DEALERSHIPS I'm dealing with.

On the Subie they said there are 10 different part #'s, they had to measure the inlet valve.  (Why not just look at the p/n on the original compressor??) And sure, there was a federal holiday in the middle, but I dropped the car off FRIDAY, and I called and they said they had the wrong part on THURSDAY..
Will

VTEC_Inside

I think part of the expectation of going to the dealer is that they won't or are less likely to screw up the small stuff that causes these delays.

I don't think a loaner car is too much to ask. So they don't have a demo Impreza for a couple days.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

SVT666

Fuck repairs.  Just buy a new car. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on February 20, 2009, 01:03:55 PM
I think part of the expectation of going to the dealer is that they won't or are less likely to screw up the small stuff that causes these delays.

I don't think a loaner car is too much to ask. So they don't have a demo Impreza for a couple days.
Well, they ARE supposed to be the EXPERTS on this car

-even if it IS 12yrs old :-)
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: HEMI666 on February 20, 2009, 01:06:55 PM
Fuck repairs.  Just buy a new car. :lol:

you just buy me one for my birthday.   :lol:
Will

Onslaught

You bring it to my place?!

I can't ever get the right part. But that's because they pay our parts people jack shit so they can't get someone with a brain in the dump. So I never get the stuff I need to fix the car right in the first place.

I hope people from work never come here with the way I talk about them. But it's the truth...