Should you "aim"...screw it, has turned into the cyclist and cager thread

Started by JWC, February 22, 2009, 07:16:13 PM

JWC

Question arises from information from years ago that the safest thing to do if you see you're about to crash into a vehicle you should  "aim" your car so that the impact is full frontal. 

A cousin died when she tried to avoid a trailer that came loose from a farm truck (this was 1994) and the side of her car took the impact.  Her passengers were safe, but the state trooper stated she and everyone would have survived if she had kept the car straight.

We now have side-impact air bags, my Volvo does, but I still think keeping the car in the lane and not trying to turn away from a crash is the best thing to do.

Any other opinions?

Eye of the Tiger

I have done this sort of thing... as my car was unavoidably going into a ditch, rather than hit the brakes and slide in sideways and possibly roll over or worse, I kept my foot stead on the gas so I could straighten out in hopes of jumping across, or at least absorbing whatever impact with the front of the car... the front bumper caught the other side, leaving the front wheels hanging. No permanent damage to anything, just needed a tow truck. Heck, a cop even drove right by me and didn't bother to stop.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

JWC

I have to admit, I plan for accidents as I'm driving.  If someone pulls up to an intersection, my mind begins thinking about what action I should prepare to take if he pulls out in front of me.  It has actually "saved" me a couple of times.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JWC on February 22, 2009, 07:29:28 PM
I have to admit, I plan for accidents as I'm driving.  If someone pulls up to an intersection, my mind begins thinking about what action I should prepare to take if he pulls out in front of me.  It has actually "saved" me a couple of times.

Sometimes it saves you, sometimes it makes things worse if other drivers do things that are completely unexpected. Like when I was the left lane of a two-way four-lane road - a car pulls onto the road from the left side and heads directly into my path. I assume they don't see me, so I swerve into the right lane, but apparently their plan all along was to pull across my path and into the right lane, so I actually ended up swerving directly towards them, and had to swerve back to the left lane and in the process almost lost the rear end (probably would have flipped, being a Samurai going 45-50 mph). Sometimes it is useless trying to predict what other drivers will do.

JWC

Quote from: Psilos on February 22, 2009, 07:30:56 PM
I do that, too. It's a cycling thing.

True, that may explain why I do it.  If you bike regularly, you are always on the lookout and/or planning an evasive maneuver.

ifcar

Quote from: NACar on February 22, 2009, 07:36:25 PM
Sometimes it saves you, sometimes it makes things worse if other drivers do things that are completely unexpected. Like when I was the left lane of a two-way four-lane road - a car pulls onto the road from the left side and heads directly into my path. I assume they don't see me, so I swerve into the right lane, but apparently their plan all along was to pull across my path and into the right lane, so I actually ended up swerving directly towards them, and had to swerve back to the left lane and in the process almost lost the rear end (probably would have flipped, being a Samurai going 45-50 mph). Sometimes it is useless trying to predict what other drivers will do.

I thought Consumer Reports invented the Samurai's rollover risk in back-and-forth lane changes?

VTEC_Inside

I'm sure that helps, but I'm not much of a bike rider and I do the same thing.

I'll admit there are times when I'm a more passive about it, but the majority of the time I'm quite active at scanning and planning.

I can say with 100% certainty that its kept me from being rear-ended hard at least once, and probably prevented a few other incidents as well.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

AutobahnSHO

in the middle of the topgear clip here http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=17738.0
There is footage of a Renault Megane hitting full frontal and a pole from the side.

It's obvious the front is better protected, plus seatbelts and seats are designed more for frontal than huge side hits..
Will

r0tor

i swerve around accidents at all cost... i'd rather take the chance of hitting nothing
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Secret Chimp

The one accident I don't know how to avoid is getting rear-ended. People follow too closely around here, and even if I leave enough space ahead for my own reaction, the dope behind me probably won't get on his brakes in time.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 23, 2009, 08:17:00 AM
The one accident I don't know how to avoid is getting rear-ended. People follow too closely around here, and even if I leave enough space ahead for my own reaction, the dope behind me probably won't get on his brakes in time.
If someone is tailgating me, I always check how much room is on each side.  In case I have to stop quick, I'd be looking to cut into the next lane or onto the shoulder.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 23, 2009, 08:17:00 AM

Sometimes there isn't much you can do. Other times plan an out.

The one time I almost got rear ended I had just had to brake pretty hard, I had room left, but just as I was about stopped I glanced up and saw that the Neon behind me hadn't even started to slow down yet.

I turned hard to the left into the center turning lane. I glanced over my shoulder and the Neon finally stopped with its front end right about where my seat back would have been.

What pissed me off more is that the son of a bitch wouldn't let me back into traffic when we got moving again. I'd just saved us all a lot of grief and this idiot pulls this shit?
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

S204STi

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on February 23, 2009, 10:43:24 AM
Sometimes there isn't much you can do. Other times plan an out.

The one time I almost got rear ended I had just had to brake pretty hard, I had room left, but just as I was about stopped I glanced up and saw that the Neon behind me hadn't even started to slow down yet.

I turned hard to the left into the center turning lane. I glanced over my shoulder and the Neon finally stopped with its front end right about where my seat back would have been.

What pissed me off more is that the son of a bitch wouldn't let me back into traffic when we got moving again. I'd just saved us all a lot of grief and this idiot pulls this shit?

That's when I just make like a big city taxi driver and stick my nose in front of him and butt in front.  It works pretty well at lower speeds.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: JWC on February 22, 2009, 07:39:49 PM
True, that may explain why I do it.  If you bike regularly, you are always on the lookout and/or planning an evasive maneuver.
+1

I always assume that I'm going to get hit when I'm biking. The thing that scares me the most about biking is getting mowed over from behind, which has almost happened to me a few times.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

If you idiots didn't keep running red lights and acting as if everyone on the road is there to serve you, you'd be fine. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: JWC on February 22, 2009, 07:39:49 PM

No, it's part of being a good driver.  You should always be on the lookout for potential hazards, unsafe drivers, road anomalies, et al.  Devotion to an outdated form of transportation has nothing to do with safety.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  on February 23, 2009, 11:53:24 AM
No, it's part of being a good driver.  You should always be on the lookout for potential hazards, unsafe drivers, road anomalies, et al.  Devotion to an outdated form of transportation has nothing to do with safety.
Outdated? :rolleyes:
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on February 23, 2009, 11:53:24 AM

Unlike on a bike, the inside of a car can be quite isolated from reality, and that leads to people driving carelessly. People who bike regularly are more likely to be in the habit of operating a vehicle with due care, and therefore are less likely to drive carelessly. It's not very hard logic to follow, you anti-bicyclist jerk dickhead fuckface cocktard assbloodshit dickfistfuckerpenispumper bastard. Of course, there is no hard and fast rule, because there are careless bicyclists as well, but these people are very unlikely the ones who ride on a regular basis - unlike people in cars, because every idiot has a license.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on February 23, 2009, 12:59:18 PM
Unlike on a bike, the inside of a car can be quite isolated from reality, and that leads to people driving carelessly. People who bike regularly are more likely to be in the habit of operating a vehicle with due care, and therefore are less likely to drive carelessly. It's not very hard logic to follow, you anti-bicyclist jerk dickhead fuckface cocktard assbloodshit dickfistfuckerpenispumper bastard. Of course, there is no hard and fast rule, because there are careless bicyclists as well, but these people are very unlikely the ones who ride on a regular basis - unlike people in cars, because every idiot has a license.

Most people are idiots.  Just because you ride a bicycle like a fucking six year old doesn't mean you're not. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17741.msg1005348#msg1005348 date=1235419330
Most people are idiots.  Just because you ride a bicycle like a fucking six year old doesn't mean you're not. 

wat  :lol:

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17741.msg1005374#msg1005374 date=1235422698
But it has it licked on weather protection.

:lol:

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17741.msg1005294#msg1005294 date=1235415135
If you idiots didn't keep running red lights and acting as if everyone on the road is there to serve you, you'd be fine. 

Why is it that whenever I begin to respect you, you something as fucking stupid as this? Jeebus...

I agree with NACar's post.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17741.msg1005591#msg1005591 date=1235442944

Now where do you put the groceries?

Do you see that thing over the back tire that kinda looks like a rack? Well, it's a rack... and wouldn't you know, it even comes with a rubber strap to... oh, I don't know, strap down your groceries, perhaps? :rolleyes:

Cookie Monster

Quote from: NACar on February 23, 2009, 07:38:58 PM
Do you see that thing over the back tire that kinda looks like a rack? Well, it's a rack... and wouldn't you know, it even comes with a rubber strap to... oh, I don't know, strap down your groceries, perhaps? :rolleyes:

RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R