Should you "aim"...screw it, has turned into the cyclist and cager thread

Started by JWC, February 22, 2009, 07:16:13 PM

hotrodalex

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 09, 2009, 04:50:10 PM
I live about 3miles from work. I left a perfectly good subaru in the driveway at lunch and rode my bike back to work.
So there..

(Of course it will be a zillion degrees the rest of the year, too hot...)

If you ride fast enough, the breeze keeps you cool.

Rupert

Quote from: JWC on April 09, 2009, 07:58:48 AM
Actually, you are probably right.  Seems Idaho allows a rolling stop for bicycles.

Here is an interesting article on that subject and perceptions of motorists and cyclists.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/commuting/2009/04/so_you_think_cyclists_are_the.html

As state lawmakers debate giving Oregon bicyclists the rolling "Idaho" stop, outraged motorists have insisted the plan would legalize the bad behavior of what, in their eyes, are a bunch of reckless anarchists.

Well, according to field research conducted by the city of Portland, there are indeed a lot of scofflaws blowing through stop signs around town.

We're talking about commuters who apparently have a total disregard for safety and the law, coming to a full stop at intersections only 22 percent of the time.

See! It's those dang bicyclists with their neon-colored jackets, self-righteous attitudes and ripped calves, right? Right!? Actually, no. Those were automobile drivers.

A 2002 study by England's Transport Research Laboratory found that when bicyclists violated a traffic law, motorists saw it as symptomatic of reckless attitudes and incompetence among people who choose to bike. However, when they saw another driver breaking the same law, they tended to see it as somehow required by unpredictable circumstances.

Of course, there's also a such thing as "transportation envy," Blazak said.

"Cyclists have a kind of freedom that people in cars don't have," he explained, "including getting around backed-up traffic, going up on the sidewalk, being out in the elements. It breeds a certain amount of resentment and jealousy when you're stuck listening to a mattress commercial in a traffic jam."

Yeah, I said that twice already. :lol:

That's a good article. I points out what they call selective perception with regard to method of transport. I think that's a huuuge factor for some people in this thread. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I think most of the cyclists in this thread are more or less immune to that bias. Everyone here (except BenzBoy) is a car enthusiast, obviously, and so we are all tuned to driving well, etc. So those of us who are also cyclists see things from both perspectives. Myself, I honestly haven't commuted by bike in longer than I care to admit, so clearly I am aware of the issues, etc. that face an automobile commuter (because I am one, until I get off my lazy ass).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

JWC

When I read the article and realized just how many cars make a rolling stop, the whole idea made more sense.

BTW, the Blazak guy who talked about "transportation envy" is also a bike commuter as well as a car commuter, so he has the advantage of seeing it from both sides also.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 09, 2009, 05:07:48 PM
If you ride fast enough, the breeze keeps you cool.

:nono:
I didn't want to sweat profusely, so I rode at a moderate/hard pace. It was in the low 70s and the back of my t-shirt was still damp when I got back to work.

In the summertime here you can NOT ride halfway hard and not sweat like CRAZY, it's very humid and Uber Hot..
Will

Tave

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 09, 2009, 08:06:09 PM

:nono:
I didn't want to sweat profusely, so I rode at a moderate/hard pace. It was in the low 70s and the back of my t-shirt was still damp when I got back to work.

In the summertime here you can NOT ride halfway hard and not sweat like CRAZY, it's very humid and Uber Hot..

After the A/C died in my 4runner, I had to ride around Phoenix shirtless. :lol:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

Sweating is actually the main reason I don't bicycle most of the time.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Tave on April 09, 2009, 08:39:34 PM
How do you sweat in Maine?!?!?

:thumbsup:

I am fat guy. I start sweating during inactivity as soon as the temp goes over 70?F.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Tave on April 09, 2009, 08:32:50 PM

After the A/C died in my 4runner, I had to ride around Phoenix shirtless. :lol:

I had no Subie A/C last summer. It will be well worth the >$1k I spent to get it fixed.
Will

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on April 06, 2009, 11:23:05 PM
Many, many more. And one of those times, you should try to find something to support it. ;)

You're such a fucking idiot it's astounding.

Apart from the practical aspects, like carrying passengers and cargo, bicycles have no seatbelts, airbags, lights, windshield wipers....
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17741.msg1040018#msg1040018 date=1239564695

Apart from the practical aspects, like carrying passengers and cargo, bicycles have no seatbelts, airbags, lights, windshield wipers....

So if I were driving an Excursion and ran you right off the road, that's perfectly fine, because you're driving a small economy car, whereas I'm driving a tank the size of Iowa?

I think we've found the fucking idiot here, and it's not Psilos.

Oh, and I've anticipated Raza's response: "Yeah we've found him, it's you, fuckface."

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17741.msg1040018#msg1040018 date=1239564695

See CALL_911's post.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

AutobahnSHO

haha
I thought this crap was resolved.
Here's my take on it:

1- bikes aren't cars
2- no one should expect bikes to behave exactly like cars.
3- bikes are still legally allowed to use the roadways that cars do.
4- since bikes can't go as fast as cars can, it will be cars that have to make some concessions to bikes.
5- otherwise bikes should follow the same laws as cars.
Will

Rupert

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 12, 2009, 01:59:35 PM
So if I were driving an Excursion and ran you right off the road, that's perfectly fine, because you're driving a small economy car, whereas I'm driving a tank the size of Iowa?

I think we've found the fucking idiot here, and it's not Psilos.

Oh, and I've anticipated Raza's response: "Yeah we've found him, it's you, fuckface."

You're an idiot. 

Drive at night in a car without headlamps or in the rain without wipers.  You'd be breaking the law.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 12, 2009, 02:48:22 PM
haha
Here's my take on it:

1- bikes aren't cars
4- since bikes can't go as fast as cars can, it will be cars bikes that have to make some concessions to bikes cars.
6- Bicycles must be registered for on-road use.
7- Cyclists must be trained, tested, and licensed.
8- Bicycles must be fitted with headlamps for road use.
9- Cyclists must wear M2005 approved helmets.

I think that could cover most of my concerns.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rupert

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17741.msg1040065#msg1040065 date=1239569969
You're an idiot. 

Drive at night in a car without headlamps or in the rain without wipers.  You'd be breaking the law.

Obviously, bikes don't need wipers. Otherwise, it's illegal to ride a bike at night without lights, just like for a car. Fool.

giant_mtb

Bikes don't have windshields.  Therefore they don't need windshield wipers.

I wish I had glasses-wipers, though.  :lol:

bing_oh

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 12, 2009, 02:48:22 PM
haha
Here's my take on it:

1- bikes aren't cars
4- since bikes can't go as fast as cars can, it will be cars that have to make some concessions to bikes.

Damnit, you stop applying common sense to this argument!

bing_oh

Quote from: Raza  on April 12, 2009, 03:06:31 PM

Why? So you can bitch about how the government sticks its nose where it doesn't belong? :rolleyes:

Quote8- Bicycles must be fitted with headlamps for road use.

Bicycles ARE required to have a front white light and flashing red rear light for use on a roadway. Please know what you're talking about before you post, Raza.

Quote9- Cyclists must wear M2005 approved helmets.

Uh...ok.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 12, 2009, 03:15:19 PM
Bikes don't have windshields.  Therefore they don't need windshield wipers.

I wish I had glasses-wipers, though.  :lol:
I wonder how well Rain-X would work on glasses... :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on April 12, 2009, 03:06:31 PM
"4- since bikes can't go as fast as cars can, it will be cars bikes that have to make some concessions to bikes cars.
8- Bicycles must be fitted with headlamps for road use.
9- Cyclists must wear M2005 approved helmets.
"

4- Bikes already do. We ride to the far right as safe as it is to do so. That allows cars to pass, even in NO PASSING zones, as long as it's safe. If it's not safe then the Car needs to obey the law and Not Pass.
6- When's the last time cops needed to look up a license plate because a bike was used for a (robbery/hit and run/ manslaughter). That's just silly.
7- Ok but it costs the government far more than $25 to pay for all of that. So you want to boost WHO's taxes to subsidize that program?
8- Already a requirement in most parts of the world, if you ride at night.
9- what's m2005??  MANY MANY communities already require ANSI and/or SNELL certified helmets..  You probably cry about motorcyclists being Forced to wear helmets though..
Will

CALL_911

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17741.msg1040068#msg1040068 date=1239570391

I think that might be one of the posts containing the greatest amount of fail seen yet on this forum.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: bing_oh on April 12, 2009, 04:21:20 PM
Why? So you can bitch about how the government sticks its nose where it doesn't belong? :rolleyes:

Bicycles ARE required to have a front white light and flashing red rear light for use on a roadway. Please know what you're talking about before you post, Raza.

Uh...ok.

I need a license to operate my vehicle, and my vehicle must be registered.  Bicycles should be no different.

I didn't know that about bikes.  I've never seen a bike with lights on the road before. 

And if a cyclist gets hit by a car, you think that tiny little helmet that's required by law will do anything?  Motorcyclists wear M2005 helmets and sometimes survive crashes.  Perhaps bicycles following the same safety laws as motorcycles is fine enough.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 12, 2009, 06:57:03 PM

4- Bikes already do. We ride to the far right as safe as it is to do so. That allows cars to pass, even in NO PASSING zones, as long as it's safe. If it's not safe then the Car needs to obey the law and Not Pass.
6- When's the last time cops needed to look up a license plate because a bike was used for a (robbery/hit and run/ manslaughter). That's just silly.
7- Ok but it costs the government far more than $25 to pay for all of that. So you want to boost WHO's taxes to subsidize that program?
8- Already a requirement in most parts of the world, if you ride at night.
9- what's m2005??  MANY MANY communities already require ANSI and/or SNELL certified helmets..  You probably cry about motorcyclists being Forced to wear helmets though..

It's not about crimes committed using bikes, it's about crimes committed by cyclists.  A cyclist decides to run red lights or stop signs, then he or she has a license and can be penalized more than financially.  Why should it cost that much?  Cyclist licensing would go through the same DMV/DOT as motor licensing, and training would dealt with the same groups that do driver training.  Optional training, but much like a motor license, a written test will be required and based on the road laws. 

M2005 is a Snell rating, so that covers that.  And yes, I'm morally opposed to helmet laws (and seatbelt laws), but if motorcyclists are going to be subjected to it, then so should cyclists. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 12, 2009, 07:49:55 PM
I think that might be one of the posts containing the greatest amount of fail seen yet on this forum.

Jeez, you're a moron.  If you want to have an argument, let's have an argument.  If you don't like what I say and have nothing to with which to rebut, then say nothing.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

bing_oh

Quote from: Raza  on April 12, 2009, 09:08:48 PMM2005 is a Snell rating, so that covers that.  And yes, I'm morally opposed to helmet laws (and seatbelt laws), but if motorcyclists are going to be subjected to it, then so should cyclists.

At least in Ohio, motorcyclists don't have a helmet requirement if they're out of their probationary rider period. Probationary, or "novice," riders are, like kids with their learners permit in a car, under more restrictions because they're just learning how to operate their vehicle.

Raza

Quote from: bing_oh on April 12, 2009, 09:30:01 PM
At least in Ohio, motorcyclists don't have a helmet requirement if they're out of their probationary rider period. Probationary, or "novice," riders are, like kids with their learners permit in a car, under more restrictions because they're just learning how to operate their vehicle.

Pennsylvanians have similar laws.  That's why that neanderthal Steelers QB faceplanted when he crashed his Harley.  Over 21 and 2 years of licensed riding exempts you from wearing a helmet. 

I'd be okay with cyclists adhering to the same helmet laws as motorcyclists.

Like I said, I'm a reasonable man.  I like bikes, I think more people should ride them when possible.  I think not so long ago I said that I supported incentivizing using bikes as commuter vehicles.  I am just unsatisfied with current cyclists, cyclists' attitudes, and the way cyclists use the road.  Share the road goes both ways, and I see none of that reciprocity from any of the cyclists neither here, nor in practice.  Well, that's not true.  Giant seemed to try to be courteous, and he was ostracized for it, reinforcing my prejudices against cyclists. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on April 12, 2009, 09:03:16 PM
I need a license to operate my vehicle, and my vehicle must be registered.  Bicycles should be no different.

I didn't know that about bikes.  I've never seen a bike with lights on the road before. 

And if a cyclist gets hit by a car, you think that tiny little helmet that's required by law will do anything?  Motorcyclists wear M2005 helmets and sometimes survive crashes.  Perhaps bicycles following the same safety laws as motorcycles is fine enough.

Regarding helmets, bike helmets are designed to protect the head in relatively low-speed types of impacts.  Since a bike is relatively slow, it shouldn't make a difference.  If a car going 60 MPH hits a motorcyclist moving 20 MPH, he has as much of a chance of living as a guy riding a bike wearing a helmet going 20 MPH.  A bike rider isn't going to strap on a full-face motocross helmet because bikes simply do not go speeds that require such protection.  Getting hit by a car is getting hit by a car.