Anyone mind telling me how NY tickets work?

Started by the Teuton, February 23, 2009, 10:31:35 AM

the Teuton

I'm going to be traveling to NY this weekend, so it'll help me and my lead-footed friends, but this is more for my brother.

Last night, he was upset as he came back from picking up a friend from the hospital when all of a sudden, he got pulled over for doing 13 mph over the speed limit.

The cop was being not-so-nice with him, and issued him a ticket.  My brother wasn't in a good mood to begin with and this made it worse.

The ticket has a place for guilty and not guilty, and it says he has 48 hours to mail it in.  There were a bunch of extenuating circumstances in this situation that I'm not about to get into, but how do you contest that and is it even worth it?

In Ohio, there's a place for "No Contest," but not in NY.  What gives?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

What's the goal here?  No fine?  No points?  No fine is unlikely, as NY needs money badly right now.  No points would probably be doable.

Said brother has an Ohio license and Ohio registration/insurance, right?  Then he should just pay and be done with it, IMO.  There are these reciprocity agreements around, but I have never had an out of state ticket find its way onto my NY record or insurance.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

Quote from: The Pirate on February 23, 2009, 11:54:45 AM
What's the goal here?  No fine?  No points?  No fine is unlikely, as NY needs money badly right now.  No points would probably be doable.

Said brother has an Ohio license and Ohio registration/insurance, right?  Then he should just pay and be done with it, IMO.  There are these reciprocity agreements around, but I have never had an out of state ticket find its way onto my NY record or insurance.

I don't think he can avoid the fine, but apparently a ticket like that is 4 points or something insane, if he's right.  He really doesn't want that on his license.

And yes, he has an Ohio-registered car, license, and insurance.

If it were me, it'd be confusing as hell (Pa. license, Ohio insurance and car).
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

How do extenuating circumstances matter? Sounds like he's guilty.

The Pirate

Quote from: GoCougs on February 23, 2009, 01:16:29 PM
How do extenuating circumstances matter? Sounds like he's guilty.

Yeah, pretty much.  He broke the speed limit, he's guilty.  With out of state info, I'd probably plead guilty and mail the check.  Like I said, it's not impossible for an out of state infraction to find it's way onto his record, but in my experience, the chances of that happening aren't good.  Pay NYS off and call it a day.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TurboDan

I recall reading that Ohio does not assign points for out of state tickets, but does include the violation on your driver abstract.  I don't know what the insurance implications are of this - most likely if you don't change insurance providers or policy details, it wouldn't matter.

But don't take my word for it 100%.

dazzleman

Teuton, just make sure you get a ticket there this weekend, and you'll find out first hand. :lol:

Tickets in NY work pretty much the same as everywhere else, so I'm not sure what information you're looking for.

I got several tickets in New York, but it's been a while.  Typically, NY tickets (except NYC) don't list the fine on the ticket.  You find out the fine after you plead guilty and the court mails you the bill, or at the court if you appear.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

the Teuton

dazzleman

If you plead innocent, the court will send you a date when you have to appear.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on February 23, 2009, 07:32:51 PM
If you plead innocent, the court will send you a date when you have to appear.

And will it likely be more expensive than pleading guilty under the circumstances?

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on February 23, 2009, 07:38:23 PM
And will it likely be more expensive than pleading guilty under the circumstances?

Depends.  If you go to court and argue, and lose, you're liable for the full fine plus court costs.  If you show up at court, you could strike a deal with the justice and reduce the fine. 

Either way, you're out for travel expenses and time.

I've previously posted rough copies of a letter to write and send in with the ticket and a guilty plea.  Search for that, as it's probably the easiest and cheapest solution.  NY doesn't care about your insurance costs, they want their money, so it's fairly easy to plead down the charge and sometimes fine cost without ever having to show up for traffic court.

dazzleman

If you lose the case, it will probably be more expensive.  Or you can plead innocent, go to court, and bargain the ticket down to a reduced charge.  That's what I did with my last ticket (in Connecticut).

TurboDan

Quote from: dazzleman on February 23, 2009, 07:44:47 PM
If you lose the case, it will probably be more expensive.  Or you can plead innocent, go to court, and bargain the ticket down to a reduced charge.  That's what I did with my last ticket (in Connecticut).

In my one experience doing this in NJ, they just line everyone up and tell them what their ticket will be reduced to.  There's no pleading your case or begging for mercy. 

dazzleman

Same here, pretty much.  When I went to court, they just offered a reduced fine right off the bat.  It was pretty quick.  The pleading and begging for mercy would probably come at a later stage, if at all, in such minor cases.  I wouldn't do it anyway.  I'd much rather take a moee severe penalty than beg for mercy.  Self-respect is more important than saving a few bucks. 

J86

NY fucks you in the butt!  If you get whatever many number of points that sends you over the edge you get to pay a "Driver Responsibility Assessment" of 300 bones!  Fuck that!!

dazzleman

You deserved every penny of it, Josh, and then some. :lol:

J86

Quote from: dazzleman on February 24, 2009, 06:08:33 PM
You deserved every penny of it, Josh, and then some. :lol:

I don't even want to know what the final cost of the ticket I got in december will be...it was 185 but Im sure Ill get hit with another DRA for god knows whatever reason...

the Teuton

How much over the speed limit were you going?

dazzleman

You got another ticket, Josh?  Nice going, dude....:lol:

SVT_Power

I don't remember if my fine got reduced when I got that ticket in NY and pleaded guilty. I know I definitely got it changed to something that didn't carry any points. I think I got it down from ~$200 to like ~$150...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

J86

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on February 25, 2009, 07:47:31 PM
"Driving too fast for conditions"

Typical dirtbag.  You never learn, man..... :evildude:

That was my last ticket, too.

L. ed foote

Quote from: TurboDan on February 23, 2009, 08:20:32 PM
In my one experience doing this in NJ, they just line everyone up and tell them what their ticket will be reduced to.  There's no pleading your case or begging for mercy. 

That has been my experience as well several times over in NYS.
Member, Self Preservation Society

dazzleman

Foote, you could probably write a book on how to navigate various traffic court jurisdictions.