2005 Mercedes-Benz SL600

Started by BMWDave, August 08, 2005, 08:47:58 AM

BMWDave

2005 Mercedes-Benz SL600
AUTOWEEK
Published Date: 8/8/05
GRITZINGER: What can possibly be amiss in a Benz roadster with a $134,000 price tag? Darn little, by my estimation. The V12 exerts serious influence on this car. At the same time, all that power is readily managed via various direct controls (steering, brakes) and indirect functions (traction control, active cruise control, active suspension), making this the least strenuous and most luxurious driver in the near-supercar set. The retractable roof wows ?em, but so does the sharp paint job, the sleek, stylish and yet subtle appearance, and the mass of engine tucked low under the hood.

RAYNAL: Not much to add to the superlatives above, except to underscore the point that for this kind of money, any car should be fantasmagoric. The performance is awesome. The only car I remember squeezing my neck back like this car is the twin-turbo CL65, but that has 604 hp and 738 lb-ft of torque.

But what a pleasure it was to cruise along the lake last night with the top down (over and over again). Perfect night for that, in one of the ultimate cruisers in cardom. The active suspension is clever enough to soak up anything our awful roads can throw at it; the brakes are unbelievably stout. The controls?steering, brakes, etc.?are softer than a 911?s, but excellent nonetheless.

MORRISON: The SL600 deserves all?or at least much?of the praise piled upon it by those who spoke before me, but for my (imaginary) $130,000, I?ll pass. No, I can?t find fault with this spine-snapping V12, and the acceleration is addicting, but the engine is really the only thing about this car that does something for me. In fact, I tend to describe this car as a giant engine with four wheels.

Get over the hyperspace acceleration and you are left with a big, heavy two-seater that is not a sports car. It?s too heavy, with solid, stable and yet characterless handling that leaves me numb. Copy that for the steering, which is just dandy for, say, an S-Class, but too slow and soulless for a sports car. Raynal?s description of the SL600 as one of the ultimate cruisers in cardom is far more accurate.

None of this is real criticism, however. Mercedes has deliver?ed exactly what its customers want: a high-rollin?, high-powered player?s car that flashes its bling in the faces of bystanders whenever it slows down enough to allow them to catch a glimpse.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

why would one need so much power in their cruiser?

giant_mtb

Colonel Cadillac

I never thought there was a point to the SL600 when people would NEVER drive their cars at the limit. The SL55 AMG is for the drivers who want a really fast car, and the SL500 for the cruisers. It is fun to say that I saw an SL600 though when seeing one.  

SVT_Power

Quotewhy would one need so much power in their cruiser?
because they have the money? and they want it? :lol:  
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna