Lawmaker Starts Petition Against Mini Bike Ban

Started by JillianMichaels, February 28, 2009, 06:03:59 PM

JillianMichaels

Bike shops across America are being forced to stop selling thousands of mini bikes--all because of a law designed to protect children from lead poisoning in toys. Now, one lawmaker is asking for your help to overturn ... R e a d >

WOW...the bikes? brake handles, tire stems, and battery terminals have more lead than is now technically allowed...

93JC

What the heck is a 'mini-bike'? One of those pint-sized crotch-rocket replicas? I thought they were 'pocket bikes'.

Payman

Whoa-lordy! There's even lead in the battery! And to think of all those valve stems I sucked on as a boy...

MX793

Quote from: 93JC on February 28, 2009, 06:23:27 PM
What the heck is a 'mini-bike'? One of those pint-sized crotch-rocket replicas? I thought they were 'pocket bikes'.

Generally speaking, the mini-bike class are small framed bikes intended for young riders.  Typically 50-85cc (there are now some small 4 strokes in the 100cc range that fit into this class as well).  Bikes like the Honda XR50 (formerly the Z50, the bike many young riders start on, myself included) as well as 60/65cc and 80/85cc dirtbikes.

Although I think those cheap pocket bikes you can get at Pep Boys for like $100 also fall into the mini-bike group.

In a nutshell, this ban will effectively kill the prospect of kids under 12 having dirtbikes or ATVs by banning all of the machines designed for riders in the 12 and under age group.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

93JC

Speed_Racer

Who said kids should have any fun? Childhood is all about work!

Haha, jk. I've always wanted to try one of those pocket bikes - they look perfect for causing some trouble.

MX793

Quote from: 93JC on February 28, 2009, 06:36:36 PM
Hmm...

Meh. I don't like kids anyway.

It'll put a big hit to the motorcycle industry in general, as well as amateur racing.  Go to any amateur MX race and a third to half of the entrants are in the Jr classes. 
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on February 28, 2009, 06:34:59 PM
Generally speaking, the mini-bike class are small framed bikes intended for young riders.  Typically 50-85cc (there are now some small 4 strokes in the 100cc range that fit into this class as well).  Bikes like the Honda XR50 (formerly the Z50, the bike many young riders start on, myself included) as well as 60/65cc and 80/85cc dirtbikes.

Although I think those cheap pocket bikes you can get at Pep Boys for like $100 also fall into the mini-bike group.

In a nutshell, this ban will effectively kill the prospect of kids under 12 having dirtbikes or ATVs by banning all of the machines designed for riders in the 12 and under age group.

I understand protecting children, but WHAT ABOUT THE ADULT MIDGETS THAT ARE RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH TO NOT EAT BATTERY TERMINALS?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

93JC

Midgets don't need bikes.

Midgets need harnesses such that normal-sized people can more easily toss them for sport.

Eye of the Tiger

but long as the harnesses are made with lead (since they are made in China), children will not legally be able to participate

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on February 28, 2009, 06:34:59 PM

Or, it will just cause the manufacturers of those bikes to conform to current lead standards.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

93JC

Quote from: NACar on February 28, 2009, 07:08:06 PM
but long as the harnesses are made with lead (since they are made in China), children will not legally be able to participate

Who's going to bother tossing children? Children don't have dignity to begin with; midgets on the other hand do, which is why I need to strip it from them by giving them a healthy heave-ho.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 93JC on February 28, 2009, 07:44:57 PM
Who's going to bother tossing children? Children don't have dignity to begin with; midgets on the other hand do, which is why I need to strip it from them by giving them a healthy heave-ho.

No, dumbass, the children also want to toss midgets.

93JC

AutobahnSHO

hahahah

Is this guy a minibike troll or what??
Will

Catman

We don't allow spamming on this forum.  I will leave this up for now but you've been warned.