Yukon Denali XL short take

Started by the Teuton, March 01, 2009, 02:15:16 PM

the Teuton

One thousand miles on the road over the course of a weekend is like speed dating with cars.  You don't get a lot of time to spend with it, but you get to ask all of the important questions, learn the quirks, and really decide whether or not it's right for you.  With a good dialogue, you can discover really quickly whether appearances are deceiving, like meeting a woman decked out in fine jewelery who spends her days as a Wal-Mart cashier or a plain woman who heirs to a family fortune.  You'll never know unless you ask.

And like the latter, the Yukon Denali XL leans more towards the side of rich without really showing it.  It's big and imposing, with a squared-off stance and bold look.  But compared to its Escalade cousin, it's rather plain.  Step inside, though, and you're treated a world of all the finest riches without the stigma of the wreath and crest adorning your grille and people thinking you spent too much.  Because, of course, when was the last time anyone really thought of GMC, an industrial truck brand, as something luxurious?

The glove-soft, leather-wrapped seats sit higher than they do in most minivans, allowing for a more upright position with less knee-to-stomach time than most other cars.  If you're a second-row passenger, you can even pretend you're still the captain of the ship with your own heated seats and much of the same controls as in the front like radio and HVAC buttons.  As a second or third row passenger, you can even watch DVDs on the road, listening to it in either normal audio mode, surround sound, or even just with wireless headphones if your driver gets tired of the hearing without seeing factor that comes with the movie playing over the speakers.

But the driver can watch, too, when the car's in park.  ;)

From the driver's seat, you feel like the captain of the world.  At your command, there's a touch screen nav system that puts most of the big names' systems to shame.  It's easy, friendly, and intuitive. 

Driving the massive SUV isn't much different, either.  The steering is light and accurate, but it's not too communicative in that you never really feel the road.  The pedals are well-weighted, with the gas feeling linear and the brakes never feeling too numb or too grabby.  And with big mirrors, the SUV is much more manageable than its size would suggest.

Punch the throttle, and it feels like a 6,000-pound freight train.  With almost 400 horsepower, get up and go is never a problem, and with stability control, the Goliath rarely feels overwhelmed on backroads.  It's no BMW, but it isn't supposed to be, either.  The ride is firm like most other body-on-frame SUVs, but it's much more isolated, comforting you from the outside world with amenities galore and a glass-smooth ride.

Sure, it's not too frugal at an observed 14 mpg (rated at 12/19) with a light roof rack carrier and a car full of luggage and people, but it doesn't need to be.  And with the exception of the Norelco grille and Altezza tail lights, there's not too much noticeable to look at, either.  But if you want to be treated like a king without the carrying around the automotive equivalent of an ostentatious gold digger, it'd be a smart move to go for the Denali and save the headache of spending nearly $10,000 more on a similarly-equipped Escalade.

Highs:
-Ride
-Features
-Comfort
-Security
-Drives much smaller than its size would suggest

Lows:
-It's still huge
-Gas mileage sucks
-Interior plastics are lacking in quality feel

Verdict:
-It's the Cinderella of GM's full-size SUV fleet
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

You're trying too hard to copy Raza.

No, I'm kidding, nice review.  :ohyeah:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 01, 2009, 03:01:12 PM
You're trying too hard to copy Raza.

No, I'm kidding, nice review.  :ohyeah:

I just wanted to add a little bit of pizazz to what could be a very plain subject.  I admit, it is a little Raza-like, but his allusions are a little more abstract usually. 

Thanks for the compliment, though.  It's a fun car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

I'd definitely take one over an Escalade. Much classier.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT_Power

Quote from: the Teuton on March 01, 2009, 02:15:16 PM
Lows:
-It's still huge
-Gas mileage sucks

-Interior plastics are lacking in quality feel

dont you think those two points are pretty much irrelevant?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

the Teuton

Quote from: M_power on March 01, 2009, 07:40:56 PM

You know what you're buying when you get one, so yeah.  But I don't like those factors, personally.

Submariner

My girlfriends dad has one.

I'd say your review is pretty spot on, except:

The materials and build quality suck balls.

The exhaust note is great (not that you mentioned it, but it really sounds nice)
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

Quote from: Submariner on March 01, 2009, 07:51:28 PM
My girlfriends dad has one.

I'd say your review is pretty spot on, except:

The materials and build quality suck balls.

The exhaust note is great (not that you mentioned it, but it really sounds nice)

I should have mentioned those.  The exhaust note does sound really good (my friend's has a CAI that makes it sound a little better yet, so I was trying to factor that out of the equation), and as for the materials...the reason I didn't mention them much more is because I have a friend back home with a once $57k Sequoia.  The materials in that were actually worse.

Yes, the plastics in the Yukon are hard, shiny, and cheap, but they don't rattle and they do look good.  The last gen Sequoia's were worse, imo.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on March 01, 2009, 07:58:09 PM
I should have mentioned those.  The exhaust note does sound really good (my friend's has a CAI that makes it sound a little better yet, so I was trying to factor that out of the equation), and as for the materials...the reason I didn't mention them much more is because I have a friend back home with a once $57k Sequoia.  The materials in that were actually worse.

Yes, the plastics in the Yukon are hard, shiny, and cheap, but they don't rattle and they do look good.  The last gen Sequoia's were worse, imo.

I don't think any of GM's plastics look good (except for the imported models).

GM has this rough, deep grained texture on their plastics that resembles dried out alligator skin rather than leather. It's enough to make me not want to buy one.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CALL_911 on March 01, 2009, 03:09:04 PM
I'd definitely take one over an Escalade. Much classier.
I like the headlight/grill design of the 'Slade better.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CALL_911

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on March 01, 2009, 10:31:48 PM
I like the headlight/grill design of the 'Slade better.

Really, I don't think either of them are classy, nor do I desire them. Out of the two, however, I'd take the less ostentatious Denali.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

Quote from: M_power on March 01, 2009, 07:40:56 PM

The first one is in the wrong list.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator