2005 Land Rover LR3 V8 HSE: Introduction

Started by BMWDave, August 08, 2005, 01:15:59 PM

BMWDave

2005 Land Rover LR3 V8 HSE: Introduction
What?s in a Name?: We set out on a yearlong exploration of the Discovery replacement, the LR3
ROGER HART
Published Date: 8/8/05
Land Rover has a decades-old reputation for building durable, rugged off-road vehicles. The name itself conjures up images of African safaris and Scottish hunting trips, of runs up snow-covered mountain passes or along rutted rainforest two-tracks. But for years, as good as Land Rovers were off-road, their on-road manners were, well, disappointing.

Logbook entries for Land Rover Discoverys that were most recently in our short-term test fleet are sprinkled with comments such as ?British agricultural instrument? and ?This just may be the most uncomfortable vehicle you can drive today.? And those are the polite notes. In the luxury sport/ute realm of the new millennium, when competing with the world?s best players you need to be able to go to your right and left.

So it was with some hesitation we sat down and ordered up a copy of the Discovery?s replacement for our long-term test fleet. While the vehicle is known as Discovery 3 elsewhere in the world (it is the third generation of the platform, the second-generation bowed in 1989), the LR3 badge was invent?ed for Land Rover?s biggest market. It seems we were not the only Americans disenchanted with the Discovery; Land Rover officials recognized the Disco name was damaged goods in the United States and made a switch.

Looks-wise, our LR3 V8 HSE still has the upright profile that readily identifies it as a Land Rover. But the LR3?s lines are a bit softer around the edges, giving it a more modern, friendly appearance. Inside the LR3 is significantly improved, with a nicely finished cabin swathed in buttery Alpaca leather, better ergonomics, a seating arrangement allowing those taller than six-feet to actually be comfortable behind the wheel, and three rows of seats. The rear seats are still best used for children, but to play in the SUV market these days a three-row seating configuration is the ante that puts you in the game. Especially for a vehicle that starts at $49,995.

What do you get for that money? For starters a 4.4-liter dual-overhead-cam aluminum V8 that makes 300 hp at 5500 rpm and 315 lb-ft at 4000 rpm. A six-speed automatic with Command Shift is standard as are permanent 4wd with traction control and a two-speed electronically controlled transfer gearbox with variable-locking center differential. That?s the standard heavy-duty off-road kit.

Also standard is four-corner electronic air suspension with automatic load leveling. You can raise or lower the suspension with a touch of a console-mounted switch.

Brakes are four-wheel ventilated discs with four-channel ABS coupled with all-terrain dynamic stability control, electronic brake force distribution, cornering brake control, hill descent control and emergency brake assist. In testing we found the brakes outstanding for a vehicle this size, bringing the 5796-pound ute from 60 mph to a stop in just 124 feet. That?s downright sedan-like.

A power tilt and slide sunroof is standard on our Tonga Green Land Rover LR3, as is an Alpine roof: The two rear-seat rows each get their own sunroof, though neither can be opened. But it does allow for a lot of light into the cabin. Built-in sunshades cut the light down when needed.

A 550-watt, 14-speaker Harman Kardon surround-sound system is standard, as is a GPS satellite navigation system with touch-screen interface. For off-roading the screen becomes a 4x4 information center, telling you exactly what each of the wheels is doing. The sound and navigation systems can be controlled through a voice-recognition system.

We added the rear-seat package, which includes second- and third-row fold-flat seating, third-row head curtain side airbags, third-row map lights and accessory power outlets, luggage net and an additional front cupholder for $1,250; the cold-climate package, with heat- ed washer jets and front windshield, and front- and second-row heated seats for $1,050; rear-seat climate control, a $950 option; adaptive front lighting, $450; a $375 tow package; and center console cooler box for $250. Total, $54,320.

At first glance we think Land Rover has really stepped up the LR3?s luxury appointments. Lexus, Volkswagen, Porsche, BMW, Jeep, Infiniti, Acura and Mercedes-Benz all have vehicles with similar luxury appointments?though with varying off-road abilities. While that may be the LR3?s hole card, company officials acknowledge that in the U.S. market off-roading is not something all its customers have a bent to do. But customers like knowing if the mood strikes, the vehicle is up to the task.

What is higher on custom?ers? lists is a quiet, comfortable ride, and the LR3 seems ready to deliver on that. While we won?t be taking our Land Rover on safari, we do plan on using the vehicle for camping and hunting trips to Northern Michigan as well as expeditions to Costco and the occasional foray to the country club.

Having the tow package will be useful as we haul boats around this summer, though we quickly found out a wiring harness needed to be installed by the dealer. The fold-flat seats should be handy while packing kids off to college this fall. Despite not having a rear-seat DVD system, we think the LR3 will be in demand for those staffers who head south with their children for spring break. And if Mother Nature dishes out a healthy helping of snow in the Detroit area like she did last winter, the vehicle?s 4wd abilities will be put to the test.

Our fleet has been devoid of a sport/ute for about a year and frankly, we?ve missed having a big hauler around. The last one was a Volvo XC90 (July 26, 2004) that racked up 26,797 miles during its year with us.

So for us Disco is dead, and we say good riddance. LR3 isn?t really a name you can warm to, but the vehicle sure seems like one you might want in your garage, even if you?re not a sheep farmer in North Yorkshire. We?ll know a lot more in a year.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

SVT_Power

i think it looks smaller in pictures than in real life
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

BMWDave

Quotei think it looks smaller in pictures than in real life
I've been in a number of LR3's, and its a big ute.  It definitely is bigger in real life.

2007 Honda S2000

SVT_Power

I've been in a number of LR3's, and its a big ute.  It definitely is bigger in real life.
i definitely think its bigger than the discovery. am i right?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

BMWDave

I own a Discovery II.  The LR3 is leagues bigger inside, and its also a lot bigger outside.

2007 Honda S2000

SVT_Power

I own a Discovery II.  The LR3 is leagues bigger inside, and its also a lot bigger outside.
bigger than the last gen Range Rover as well i think. I rode in one of those

BMWDave

It was bigger than the last generation.  But the current generation is also a hulking SUV, and I believe its bigger, at least exterior wise.

2007 Honda S2000

SVT_Power

It was bigger than the last generation.  But the current generation is also a hulking SUV, and I believe its bigger, at least exterior wise.
talking about the current generation Range Rover, have u noticed some of the Range rovers sort leaning towards the back? like the suspension in the back is way too squashed or something

BMWDave

talking about the current generation Range Rover, have u noticed some of the Range rovers sort leaning towards the back? like the suspension in the back is way too squashed or something
Thats how its designed.  There is nothing wrong with the suspension.  The appearance of the back creates an illusion thats its leaning.  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan