Test Drive: 2009 Pontiac G8 V6

Started by SVT666, March 04, 2009, 05:42:26 PM

SVT666

I went to drive a GT, but they had nothing on the lot but four 3.6L V6 versions.  Right now, GM is providing a $9500 rebate on all G8 sedans including the GT.  The first question out of the salesman's mouth was, "Wanna drive it?".  I said, "Sure'.  So he turned around, ran inside, and came back with a plate.  We went out for 25 minutes.  Here are my impressions.

It's a great looking car, no doubt.  The only gripe I have with the GT is the taillights look kinda ricer, and if I bought one, I would probably swap them for the lights off the V6.  Other then that, the car is hot. 

Once inside, you realize a couple things.  GM hasn't come as far as the magazines have led us to believe with this car. The centre console will actually flex quite easily if you push it with your knee.  Then you grab it with your hand and you feel like you could rip it right off.  The glove compartment sounds like it was made of the same plastic as my Transformers lunch box from elementary school. 

The A-pillars are massive.  So massive in fact that it me kind of uneasy in mid corner.  The steering wheel is simply huge, and there's no excuse for it.  And finally, Pontiac provides their personal touch of cheap ass graphics with the red LED displays.  They look terrible and they look cheap.  Again, there is no excuse.

However, overall the interior does look good.  It's also comfortable, and the seats are very supportive and the perfect size.  There is plenty of rear seat room and it's actually quite a pleasant place to be.  Despite what I mentioned above, I could easily overlook the faults.

On the road I was once again let down by a couple of things.  The brake pedal is mushy and has a long travel before anything happens in the way of stopping.  The gas pedal is so sensitive that creeping up to a stop sign behind traffic felt like we were in a rodeo.  The manual shift mode of the 5 speed auto was fairly slow to respond to inputs, and on downshifts I don't believe there was any rev matching.

In mid corner I realized that there was actually more body roll then I expected, but it was very controlled and the car was very stable, and overall not disappointing if you consider this is a large, 4000 lbs, 4 door sedan.  I found I had to turn the steering wheel a little more then I thought would be necessary, though I may chalk that one up to wet pavement and a little sand.  I also found there to be very little feed back in the steering wheel.  The thickness of the A-pillar had me leaning to see around it, but I'm sure it's something I would just get used to and in a few weeks I probably wouldn't even notice it anymore.

Acceleration from the 3.6L V6 was actually quite impressive for a 4000 lbs car with only 256 hp, and the sound that came from the engine compartment under full throttle was simply intoxicating.  It had a throaty, almost metallic, wail that surprised the hell out of me.

Driving this car was fun, but it certainly wasn't as impressive as I have been led to believe by the major car mags.  I still want to drive a GT to see if there are any steering or handling differences, and to experience the power of the 6.0L V8.  For a large 4 door sedan, it drives very well.  However when I got back into my SVT, I was reminded of what steering and brake feel are supposed to be like, and what size the perfect size steering wheel should be. 

Based on this test drive, I won't be looking to replace my SVT Focus any time soon.

MX793

One thing:  The G8 V6 uses a 3.6L, not 3.8.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

That's disappointing.

In other news, I saw a G8 GT last night in all black.  Calling it badass would be an understatement.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on March 04, 2009, 05:49:07 PM
One thing:  The G8 V6 uses a 3.6L, not 3.8.
Yeah, you're right.  Fixed.

Raza

First thing I noticed about the car when I sat in it was how cheap the interior plastics were.  You're right--it literally felt like you could rip the transmission tunnel out with your hands.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on March 04, 2009, 05:49:51 PM
That's disappointing.

In other news, I saw a G8 GT last night in all black.  Calling it badass would be an understatement.
I was definitely disappointed.  It was going to be my next car, but now I'm not so sure.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17910.msg1013084#msg1013084 date=1236214283
First thing I noticed about the car when I sat in it was how cheap the interior plastics were.  You're right--it literally felt like you could rip the transmission tunnel out with your hands.
That was something I wasn't expecting.

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 04, 2009, 05:51:57 PM

Neither was I, considering the GTO's interior was so much better.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=17910.msg1013088#msg1013088 date=1236214347
Neither was I, considering the GTO's interior was so much better.
I'll tell you what does have a nice interior...the new CTS.  Before I took off in the G8, I sat in one in the showroom.  Wow.

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on March 04, 2009, 05:49:51 PM
That's disappointing.
The thing is though, with $9500 off MSRP, this is a fucking wicked deal.  If I was in the market for a new car, it would be a no brainer.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 04, 2009, 05:51:57 PM

How would you compare the interior to the Cobalt SS? I sat in a regular Cobalt once and was immediately turned off by the cheap, flimsy interior. I then sat in an Aveo and noticed how much better the interior was.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: NACar on March 04, 2009, 05:55:42 PM
How would you compare the interior to the Cobalt SS? I sat in a regular Cobalt once and was immediately turned off by the cheap, flimsy interior. I then sat in an Aveo and noticed how much better the interior was.
It's much nicer then the Cobalt's, but as far as I can recall, the Cobalt's centre console didn't feel like it would rip off if I tried.

the Teuton

Quote from: NACar on March 04, 2009, 05:55:42 PM

The Cobalt's interior is shit.  That's a certainty. 

But the Aveo's was better?  Really?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on March 04, 2009, 05:59:44 PM

Aveo is newer. The refresh occurred in 2007-2008. The cobalt has been unchanged from it's intro in 2005.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on March 04, 2009, 05:59:44 PM

Yes. And yet, both of them are far better a Yaris.

FlatBlackCaddy

I hate to break it to you hemi but the GT is nothing more than a faster version of everything you experienced. I hear alot of talk about it being a budget 5 er(or even a budget M5 E39). I was pretty let down with my experience of the GT i drove. It couldn't match the feel of my 10 year old 540, i'd hate to compare it to an actual M car.

Drive a GT, but frankly i wouldn't waste your time(or the dealership visit). If you are going to venture onto a pontiac lot again don't waste your test drive time on a G8 GT, try and score a solstice test drive.

CJ

Think the CTS has a nice interior?  Sit in a Genesis sedan.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: CJ on March 04, 2009, 08:37:19 PM
Think the CTS has a nice interior?  Sit in a Genesis sedan.

I've been in both, recently. The styles are very different but sadly i'd have to say the Genesis did seem(to me) to emit more of a luxury feel. I was very impressed with the genesis. If hyundai keeps their head down and keeps bettering themselves with every new model and new design they will be a serious threat to anyone but the highest of luxury brands.

CJ

I was in both two weeks ago at the auto show and agree.  The Genesis does have that luxury feel, as you mentioned.  It has that certain aura.

FlatBlackCaddy

It's sad isn't it. I don't buy the "GM is broke so they can't make the car THAT nice" shit either. When GM was rolling in cash like a columbian drug lord they built even worse shit. It boils down to the fact that they just don't care or truely don't know any better.

CJ

I think it's a mixture of both.   

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CJ on March 04, 2009, 09:04:55 PM
Volvo. Volvo. Volvo. Volvo. Hyundai. Volvo. Volvo. Volvo. Volvo.

huh?

Vinsanity

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 04, 2009, 05:42:26 PM
the sound that came from the engine compartment under full throttle was simply intoxicating.  It had a throaty, almost metallic, wail that surprised the hell out of me.

Wow, it sounds like a muffler swap or something is in order for my car; the same engine under my hood just has 3 different octaves of the same continuous "meh" sound.

Strange observation regarding the throttle mapping, though. Mine is the smoothest I've experienced thus far; it "spoils" me to the point where it feels jerky as hell if I drive most other cars around a parking lot.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 04, 2009, 09:46:35 PM
Wow, it sounds like a muffler swap or something is in order for my car; the same engine under my hood just has 3 different octaves of the same continuous "meh" sound.

Strange observation regarding the throttle mapping, though. Mine is the smoothest I've experienced thus far; it "spoils" me to the point where it feels jerky as hell if I drive most other cars around a parking lot.

You're talking about a first generation Cadillac CTS, right?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

The problem with driving the G8, when compared to the Focus, is that the one thing Ford really nailed is the steering.  Nice small wheel, very short ratio so that every input has an immediate effect, and extremely good transient response from the chassis, particularly with the stiffer SVT.  It even makes my Impreza seem a bit loose and rolly-polly (which I guess it is, lol).

I'd say that the redeeming thing about the G8 is its chassis and drivetrain.  Like you mentioned, for a heavy car they handle extremely well, and they get up and git when you put the hammer down.  Other than that, they are kinda average in the interior departmen (though I like the large, lumpy steering wheel, maybe just because I'm used to the huge ship's wheel in my car).

S204STi

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 04, 2009, 08:14:59 PM
try and score a solstice test drive.

And unless it's a GXP don't even bother with that.  Sans turbo they are just really loud and slow, albeit good-handling. 

Seriously, the engine makes more noise than power.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on March 04, 2009, 10:32:46 PM
The problem with driving the G8, when compared to the Focus, is that the one thing Ford really nailed is the steering.  Nice small wheel, very short ratio so that every input has an immediate effect, and extremely good transient response from the chassis, particularly with the stiffer SVT.  It even makes my Impreza seem a bit loose and rolly-polly (which I guess it is, lol).

I'd say that the redeeming thing about the G8 is its chassis and drivetrain.  Like you mentioned, for a heavy car they handle extremely well, and they get up and git when you put the hammer down.  Other than that, they are kinda average in the interior departmen (though I like the large, lumpy steering wheel, maybe just because I'm used to the huge ship's wheel in my car).
I wouldn't say extremely well.  I would say it handles very well, but it ain't the poor man's BMW like it's been touted.  Maybe I've just been spoiled with my SVT, but it wasn't what I was expecting after reading all those reviews.

Vinsanity

Rich

Quote from: R-inge on March 04, 2009, 10:34:57 PM
And unless it's a GXP don't even bother with that.  Sans turbo they are just really loud and slow, albeit good-handling. 

Seriously, the engine makes more noise than power.

Made more than enough for me, and the GXP's steering was numb, compared to the 2.4L
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

GoCougs

I think Pontiac knew what it was doing with the compromises to get the MSRPs at $32k and below. A few grand extra for a more upscale interior would have  had it bumping into the base models near-luxury marques; CTS, TL, G37, ES350, etc.

It's all for naught. The G8 was an abject sales disaster even before the financial crash, and it wasn't because of the interior I don't think.

FWIW, I think it looks fantastic. Haven't driven one let alone sit in one, but I never been a big critique of interiors.