Oldsmobile "jet car"

Started by Laconian, March 04, 2009, 05:53:03 PM

Laconian

http://jalopnik.com/tag/oldsmobile-98/?id=5164350

Just a month or so ago, I found this very car parked in a fenced off area while taking a walk!

The funny thing is, as junky as most of the "modifications" are, there is a shiny new propane tank on the back with some serious looking steel braided lines running between it and the jet engine. I wouldn't be surprised if it was capable of making some sweet flamez.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Speed_Racer

I'm digging the corrugated tin body panels.

Tave

I bet it's a heater, not an actual jet engine. You can buy space heaters that run off of propane and produce a jet-flame effect.

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Payman

Quote from: Tave on March 05, 2009, 06:59:31 AM
I bet it's a heater, not an actual jet engine. You can buy space heaters that run off of propane and produce a jet-flame effect.

Yep. Not likely you can pick up a functional jet engine at the local pawn shop.

Laconian

Ah ha! I found the owner. It's an homage to Firefly. NERD!
http://capissen38.com/

Flamez, indeed :praise:

Nethead

Runs on gasoline and propane.  A hybrid, no doubt...
So many stairs...so little time...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Payman on March 05, 2009, 07:03:26 AM
Yep. Not likely you can pick up a functional jet engine at the local pawn shop.

Actually, jet engines that have surpassed their designated service life are quite cheap to buy, and will usually give years of service; but since the FAA will not allow them to be used anymore, their market value is near nil.

And, you can of course build your own jet engine out rigid steel pipe and an old turbocharger.

But yeah, that's a torpedo style space heater with an air hose attached to it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 05, 2009, 03:51:37 PM
Actually, jet engines that have surpassed their designated service life are quite cheap to buy, and will usually give years of service; but since the FAA will not allow them to be used anymore, their market value is near nil.

And, you can of course build your own jet engine out rigid steel pipe and an old turbocharger.

But yeah, that's a torpedo style space heater with an air hose attached to it.

You need to do this to your Caddy.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on March 05, 2009, 03:55:13 PM
You need to do this to your Caddy.

No, I need to install a gigantic lockwood-hiller valveless pulsejet on my lawnmower.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

In the '60s, you could actually buy these rocket propelled go-karts via mail order.

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 05, 2009, 03:59:16 PM
No, I need to install a gigantic lockwood-hiller valveless pulsejet on my lawnmower.

Do both!

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 05, 2009, 03:59:16 PM

The point of a phallic car is that the protrusion projects forward from your crotch. It shouldn't be coming from behind.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on March 05, 2009, 04:30:54 PM
The point of a phallic car is that the protrusion projects forward from your crotch. It shouldn't be coming from behind.

Maybe he likes it coming from behind  :rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)