All Infinitis will be hybrids within 10 years

Started by SVT666, March 05, 2009, 09:48:41 AM

SVT666

All Infinitis will be hybrids within 10 years

It?s easy to be mesmerized by the Infiniti Essence Concept?s striking good looks and completely overlook car?s the underlying technology. But the hybrid drivetrain is an important indicator of where Nissan?s luxury division is headed. At the Geneva Motor Show on Wednesday, a top company executive disclosed plans to convert the brand?s entire lineup to hybrid technology within ten years.

Francois Bancon, General Manager of Advanced Product Planning, told reporters Infiniti will reinvent itself over the next decade, beginning with a hybrid version of the new M-series sedan, according to Autocar. The new M is expected to be launched in September.

Mr. Bancon said the primary technology that will be used by Infiniti in the near term is the so-called series-parallel configuration, which combines characteristics of both series and parallel drivetrains. The ?two-mode? technology enables the car to be powered by electricity alone or electricity and gas at the same time.

Initially, it?s Infiniti will offer both hybrid and regular gasoline versions of its cars, but Bancon?s remarks seem to suggest the company will stop offering gas-only vehicles somewhere within the ten-year timeframe.

Bancon did not indicate if or when Infiniti will transition to plug-in hybrid technology, but we?d be very surprised if the capability didn?t show up within the next few years. Although the new M won?t be a plug-in hybrid, we?re betting Infiniti?s second generation of hybrids will.

sportyaccordy

Oh well... a 2008 G37 will be pretty cheap by then

Submariner

I like it more than Ford's all electric idea.

I for one dislike the demise of the internal combustion engine. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Soup DeVille

I'll go ahead and say that not all of Infiniti's future hybrids will be equally hybridized. Most likely it will range from a true dual-mode parralel plug in hybrid (luxo Prius?) to Civic-style mild hybrids with auto0engine shutoffs and minimal electric assist.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

Quote from: Submariner on March 05, 2009, 01:09:01 PM
I like it more than Ford's all electric idea.

I for one dislike the demise of the internal combustion engine. 

I rather have a full electric than a Hybrid.. you're just adding additional weight to a car that would not have been necessary with an ICE with may elimination the efficiencies and savings created by the "hybrid". 

I can forsee small cars 10 years from now weighing min of 4000lbs and SUVs 6000+lb.. and Lotus will sell 3000lb "lightweight" cars....   :facepalm:

3.0L V6

They have to make 35mpg somehow. Congress has mandated it.