Auditor: ?substantial doubt? over GM avoiding bankruptcy

Started by SVT666, March 05, 2009, 09:50:58 AM

SVT666

Auditor: ?substantial doubt? over GM avoiding bankruptcy

GM?s recovery plan hinges on a number of variables, including a recovery in U.S. sales, concessions from unions, and renegotiating terms with debtholders. Should any of these fail to materialize, the company could be forced into bankruptcy relatively quickly, a company auditor has said.

?The corporation?s recurring losses from operations, stockholders? deficit, and inability to generate sufficient cash flow to meet its obligations and sustain its operations raise substantial doubt about its ability to continue as a going concern,? auditors from accounting firm Deloitte & Touche LLP wrote in an annual report filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

In accounting, ?going concern? refers to a company?s ability to continue functioning. Companies are required to disclose in financial statements whether the company?s status is in doubt.

But the accountants aren?t the only ones expressing concern over the situation. GM was also candid in its assessment of the situation in the SEC filing.

?If we fail to do so for any reason, we would not be able to continue as a going concern and could potentially be forced to seek relief through a filing under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code,? the automaker said in the report.

?There is no assurance that the global automobile market will recover or that it will not suffer a significant further downturn,? the company explained.

GM shares were down 15 percent Thursday morning on the news.

the Teuton

So, uh, can I have a refund on my tax dollars, please?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666