Vauxhall Astra Nurburgring VS. new Ford Focus ST

Started by SVT666, March 05, 2009, 02:26:01 PM

SVT666

Vicki compares the Vauxhall Astra Nurburgring and the new Ford Focus ST

Damn I wish we got the Euro Focus.  I would be interested in seeing what time she would post with my car.

giant_mtb

And the entire time I was saying to myself "WTF, that's not the Nurburgring..."...and then realized it's the name of the car. :facepalm:

Oh well.  Go Focus!

the Teuton

I have a hard time believing that the Opel is quicker than the Cobalt SS, even though it is a smaller car.  I wonder how the Ford would compare to our American Rentalwunder.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 05, 2009, 02:26:01 PM
Vicki compares the Vauxhall Astra Nurburgring and the new Ford Focus ST

Damn I wish we got the Euro Focus.  I would be interested in seeing what time she would post with my car.

Closest thing we have is the MS3, which is still at the top of the budget sports sedans/hatches currently in production.  I imagine the Focus would do quite well here as well.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on March 05, 2009, 03:26:14 PM
Closest thing we have is the MS3, which is still at the top of the budget sports sedans/hatches currently in production.  I imagine the Focus would do quite well here as well.
Yeah, but it looks like ass.

S204STi

Both those cars have very nice exhaust notes.  The ST sort of growls quite a bit almost like my boxer 4, and the I4 in the Astra sounds like a rally car.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 05, 2009, 03:27:40 PM
Yeah, but it looks like ass.

That's subjective, but if you don't like it I understand.  I tend to think it looks handsome though.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on March 05, 2009, 03:28:42 PM
Both those cars have very nice exhaust notes.  The ST sort of growls quite a bit almost like my boxer 4, and the I4 in the Astra sounds like a rally car.
Everyone who rides in my SVT says the same thing about the engine and exhaust note.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 05, 2009, 03:32:49 PM
Everyone who rides in my SVT says the same thing about the engine and exhaust note.

Do you have the stock exhaust still?  Just curious.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on March 05, 2009, 03:39:48 PM
Do you have the stock exhaust still?  Just curious.
Bone stock.  I should do an in car video one day so that you can hear it.  It's quite guttural and highly addicting.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 05, 2009, 03:41:17 PM
Bone stock.  I should do an in car video one day so that you can hear it.  It's quite guttural and highly addicting.

Nice. Loud OEM exhausts are the perfect balance for me, I love them.  (Not as loud as a straight pipe but not totally muted either).

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on March 05, 2009, 03:48:59 PM
Nice. Loud OEM exhausts are the perfect balance for me, I love them.  (Not as loud as a straight pipe but not totally muted either).
The only reason I don't go aftermarket is that there isn't a single aftermarket exhaust system that has proven to do anything but change the sound of the SVT.  Some of the aftermarket systems actually hurt power levels.  The stock system has a long tube header and the single pipe is 2.5" already.  The only thing I am going to do is go with a high flow cat.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on March 05, 2009, 04:00:29 PM
The only reason I don't go aftermarket is that there isn't a single aftermarket exhaust system that has proven to do anything but change the sound of the SVT.  Some of the aftermarket systems actually hurt power levels.  The stock system has a long tube header and the single pipe is 2.5" already.  The only thing I am going to do is go with a high flow cat.

Very cool.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Quote from: R-inge on March 05, 2009, 03:26:14 PM

The Volvo C30 is actually closer to the Focus ST than the Mazda from a purely mechanical standpoint.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Speed_Racer

The Focus looks really sharp in person. Just before I left Argentina, these new Focuses were hitting the streets, and they definitely caught my eye.

But why won't they bring the ST to our side of the pond?!

SVT666

Quote from: Speed_Racer on March 10, 2009, 11:12:36 PM
The Focus looks really sharp in person. Just before I left Argentina, these new Focuses were hitting the streets, and they definitely caught my eye.

But why won't they bring the ST to our side of the pond?!
Doesn't Mexico get them?

S204STi

Quote from: MX793 on March 05, 2009, 05:55:36 PM
The Volvo C30 is actually closer to the Focus ST than the Mazda from a purely mechanical standpoint.

Ah, ok. 

Raza

I wish we got the Euro Astra instead of the neutered one they sold here.

And I do mean one.  Rarer than an orange cow they are.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on March 13, 2009, 01:17:22 PM
I wish we got the Euro Astra instead of the neutered one they sold here.

And I do mean one.  Rarer than an orange cow they are.

They didn't neuter it.  The Astras we got came right off the same assembly line as the one's Europe gets.  The only difference was the badge.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on March 13, 2009, 02:43:11 PM
They didn't neuter it.  The Astras we got came right off the same assembly line as the one's Europe gets.  The only difference was the badge.

Hmm, maybe I wasn't specific enough. 

Our model line was neutered.  A 140 horse engine in an overpriced hatch in sedan country?  A VXR version would have been great.  But for Saturn to sell an Astra against the Rabbit without any advantages was ridiculously optimistic of them, wasn't it?  A year after it was introduced, the Rabbit was packing 170bhp--thirty more instead of just ten as it was at introduction.

You can't bring a knife to a gunfight, as they say.  GM brought a lemon zester. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on March 13, 2009, 02:53:16 PM
Hmm, maybe I wasn't specific enough. 

Our model line was neutered.  A 140 horse engine in an overpriced hatch in sedan country?  A VXR version would have been great.  But for Saturn to sell an Astra against the Rabbit without any advantages was ridiculously optimistic of them, wasn't it?  A year after it was introduced, the Rabbit was packing 170bhp--thirty more instead of just ten as it was at introduction.

You can't bring a knife to a gunfight, as they say.  GM brought a lemon zester. 

The 140hp 1.8 was the biggest engine offered in a non-special edition Astra in the European market, and we got a Euro market car.  If GM really intended to Americanize it, they likely would have used the similarly powerful 2.2 Ecotec that's standard in the Cobalt instead of the Euro market 1.8.  But that would have meant retooling the Astra plant since they weren't set up to install that engine, and they didn't have the money or the time for that.

Also, in the market for which the Astra we got is built to compete (Europe), the Golf doesn't offer the 170 hp I5 as the standard motor (or at all, for that matter).  Unlike the Astra, our version of the Golf has been Americanized.  In fact, the most potent gasoline engine offered in a European Golf is the 160 hp 1.4 TSI found only in the top of the line GT.  The next most powerful gas engine is a 120 hp version of the 1.4 offered in the lower and middle trims.  Against that competition, the 140 hp 1.8 really isn't too far out of its league.

They also were looking for a car that could appeal to the broadest possible audience (the Civic and Corolla crowd as much as the Rabbit crowd), something the rambunctious VXR definately would not do.

So really where GM failed with the Astra was by not Americanizing it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Catman

I would take any one of the three in that video.   :cheers:

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on March 13, 2009, 03:17:04 PM
The 140hp 1.8 was the biggest engine offered in a non-special edition Astra in the European market, and we got a Euro market car.  If GM really intended to Americanize it, they likely would have used the similarly powerful 2.2 Ecotec that's standard in the Cobalt instead of the Euro market 1.8.  But that would have meant retooling the Astra plant since they weren't set up to install that engine, and they didn't have the money or the time for that.

Also, in the market for which the Astra we got is built to compete (Europe), the Golf doesn't offer the 170 hp I5 as the standard motor (or at all, for that matter).  Unlike the Astra, our version of the Golf has been Americanized.  In fact, the most potent gasoline engine offered in a European Golf is the 160 hp 1.4 TSI found only in the top of the line GT.  The next most powerful gas engine is a 120 hp version of the 1.4 offered in the lower and middle trims.  Against that competition, the 140 hp 1.8 really isn't too far out of its league.

They also were looking for a car that could appeal to the broadest possible audience (the Civic and Corolla crowd as much as the Rabbit crowd), something the rambunctious VXR definately would not do.

So really where GM failed with the Astra was by not Americanizing it.

Don't they offer some sort of 180 horse engine in the Astra?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on March 13, 2009, 07:16:51 PM
Don't they offer some sort of 180 horse engine in the Astra?

They do offer a 1.6 Turbo with 180 hp, but I'm not sure which trims (I'm pretty sure it's not offered on the 5-door).  It also wouldn't be the best motor for this market segment in North America.  Like I said, GM was looking for something with the broadest possible appeal.  Generally speaking, Americans haven't traditionally been fond of turbocharged engines in mainstream models.  That motor also requires premium fuel, a turn off for many economy car buyers.  I also strongly suspect it's a more expensive motor than the 1.8.
Needs more Jiggawatts