"Weathered wonders": photos of abandoned classics

Started by ifcar, March 06, 2009, 01:53:27 PM

ifcar

QuoteThe rusting Plymouth Fury sits behind a house off Route 140 in northern Carroll County, Md. Its paint faded and peeled years ago, but the chrome on its tail fin still gleams like new.

Marc Weinberg photographed that Plymouth and dozens more  "weathered wonders": once-gorgeous classics that are now ignored or forgotten, rotting away in scrapyards or back yards...

Continued at:
http://www.examiner.com/x-1017-DC-Car-Examiner~y2009m3d6-Local-artist-photographs-decaying-classic-cars-finds-the-beauty-of-these-weathered-wonders

S204STi

Reminds me of a car graveyard I read about in C/D back in the day... some guy in california just collects old cars and lets them rot on his property.

Makes nice still life art I suppose.

Rupert

Neat. I think it would be a fun project to look at old maps of national forests, etc., and go to all of the places that had some kind of human-built thing to take photos. Mines, lookouts, etc. There are often a lot of different things like that marked on maps.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

cawimmer430

The pictures aren't bad but they are so few of them. Only 8.  :cry:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

JWC

Well, I learned I don't charge enough for my work.

There is a "homestead" not far from where I live that I want to photograph.  About twenty or twenty-five Corvairs.  Coupes, sedans, convertibles, vans, Spyders etc....all rusting away.  The old man will not sell them and hasn't driven a single one since each was bought and parked in the back yard.  I remember this guy buying Corvairs when I was a teenager...back in the early seventies.

giant_mtb

Hm, a bunch of strangely colored, HDR photos of rusty cars.  Cool.

:huh:

ifcar

Quote from: JWC on March 06, 2009, 07:29:40 PM
Well, I learned I don't charge enough for my work.

Just because he charges that doesn't mean he sells any. It's not his day job.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 06, 2009, 07:31:10 PM
Hm, a bunch of strangely colored, HDR photos of rusty cars.  Cool.

:huh:

Another reason right there why I lost interest in photography.

Anything that looks well done is assumed to have been digitally tweaked.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 06, 2009, 07:35:05 PM
Another reason right there why I lost interest in photography.

Anything that looks well done is assumed to have been digitally tweaked.

...did you not look at the pictures, or what?

JWC

Quote from: ifcar on March 06, 2009, 07:33:29 PM
Just because he charges that doesn't mean he sells any. It's not his day job.

If it isn't his day job, he has no business asking that much....well, in my opinion.   I know about a bunch of photographers who would disagree.    They ain't selling anything either.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 06, 2009, 07:49:45 PM

I did, yes.

I have pictures that I've taken myself on print, B/W and slide film that have never been within three feet of a computer that could match or exceed that dynamic range and have a brighter color palette than those.

Everybody acts like a picture that doesn't look like it was shot with drugstore grade film and a Kodak 110 must be digitally manipulated.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: JWC on March 06, 2009, 07:58:17 PM
If it isn't his day job, he has no business asking that much....well, in my opinion.   I know about a bunch of photographers who would disagree.    They ain't selling anything either.

It does seem to be his day job; at least according to his website,. Just not the art stuff, it looks like he's a standard protrait and wedding shooter most of the time.

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 06, 2009, 08:53:58 PM
It does seem to be his day job; at least according to his website,. Just not the art stuff, it looks like he's a standard protrait and wedding shooter most of the time.

His day job is retirement benefits. He does photography on the side.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: ifcar on March 06, 2009, 08:55:38 PM
His day job is retirement benefits. He does photography on the side.

Well, his day job probably doesn't take up the whole day then.

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 06, 2009, 08:56:52 PM
Well, his day job probably doesn't take up the whole day then.

What I mean is that he doesn't depend on photography as his income, so he doesn't need to worry about high sales.

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 06, 2009, 07:49:45 PM

People did photograph before photoshop, y'know and achieved the same effects as the ones seen in this picture.

JWC

Quote from: ifcar on March 06, 2009, 08:57:43 PM
What I mean is that he doesn't depend on photography as his income, so he doesn't need to worry about high sales.

I wonder if he has to even worry about sales. :lol:

JWC

Quote from: 2o6 on March 06, 2009, 08:58:21 PM

People did photograph before photoshop, y'know and achieved the same effects as the ones seen in this picture.

It was a lot more time consuming and probably worth what the artist charged. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: JWC on March 06, 2009, 09:00:56 PM
It was a lot more time consuming and probably worth what the artist charged. 

Which is why I've lost interest in it.

There's no point in spending half a day trying to get the perfect shot, and a day in the darkroom only to have the first a-hole who sees it go "Hey, I can do that on Photoshop in about 3 minutes."

JWC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 06, 2009, 09:03:27 PM
Which is why I've lost interest in it.

There's no point in spending half a day trying to get the perfect shot, and a day in the darkroom only to have the first a-hole who sees it go "Hey, I can do that on Photoshop in about 3 minutes."

So true, so true.

JWC

Speaking of photography I need to get to bed.  I've got a high school student that I'm a mentor for, showing up tomorrow morning at 8am.  First friggin' beautiful, warm, weekend I have to work on my VW's and I'm with this kid doing landscapes for his senior project.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: JWC on March 06, 2009, 09:06:48 PM
Speaking of photography I need to get to bed.  I've got a high school student that I'm a mentor for, showing up tomorrow morning at 8am.  First friggin' beautiful, warm, weekend I have to work on my VW's and I'm with this kid doing landscapes for his senior project.

At least tell me you're using a view camera.