Mass. Governor Considering 'Hummer Tax' on Gas Guzzlers

Started by rohan, March 08, 2009, 07:43:02 AM

rohan

Friday, March 06, 2009 
By Molly Line

SUV owners are already paying more to fill their tanks at the pump. Now, in Massachusetts, they could be forced to pay even more just to hit the road, charged a higher fee when registering their vehicles.

If implemented, the so called 'Hummer Tax' would be the first in the nation.

Click here for a video report from FOX News Channel's Molly Line.

Tim Lerchenfeldt, general manager of Cadillac Hummer Saab Village, a dealership in Norwwood, argues now is not the time for another fee, when sales are down and the auto industry is struggling.

"It's a penalty for driving an SUV, which currently is not the popular choice. Or you're being penalized for a lifestyle choice, or maybe the fact that you have a large family and you need that size vehicle to put them in and it just doesn't seem fair," said Lerchenfeldt, who adds that a given SUV owner may spend less time on the road and burn less gasoline than a given hybrid car owner.

Under the new proposal, owners of more fuel efficient vehicles would pay less. The ultimate goal of the policy is supposedly to get consumers to buy those instead.

"If you're going to make a choice that's counterproductive for the planet, counterproductive for the state, counterproductive for America, then if you want to make that choice, it's America, you can make that choice, but if you have to pay for it, I think that's fair," said Josh Wright, a Toyota Prius owner who lives in the town of Hanover.

The plan to charge larger gas guzzling vehicles more has the backing of Democratic Governor Deval Patrick who admits there are some kinks to work out, like how to protect larger families from being unfairly impacted. The Governor is calling for a wide array of new fees and taxes to fund and fix the state's ailing transportation system, which he says has suffered more than a decade of neglect.

Among the most controversial elements in the plan, Patrick is calling for a 19 cent increase in the state's gas tax. He is appealing directly to voters, crisscrossing the state and holding town hall style meetings, listening to the fears and concerns of Commonwealth residents.

"For the average driver what we're talking about is the equivalent of a large cup of coffee per week, but still, for some people that's a lot." Patrick said, admitting the choices are hard.

As part of the package, Patrick is promising to streamline the state's transportation bureaucracy and put the breaks on government spending.

"I think a gas tax without the reforms is unacceptable. More to the point, I will veto that bill. But, I think reforms without the new revenue doesn't really get us very far."

The administration estimates that up to 19 billion dollars will be needed over the next 20 years to pay down debt and to maintain and update the Massachusetts transportation system.

Click here for more auto news and reviews from FOX Car Report.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,506224,00.html

:banghead:
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Galaxy

Why don't they just increase gasoline taxes instead of taxing large SUVs seperately? If they want to increase taxes then that seems like the most fair way of doing it. After all a Bugatti Veyron that is driven 2,000miles a year will use less gas then a mid sized car driven every day.

TBR

Quote from: Galaxy on March 08, 2009, 08:11:55 AM
Why don't they just increase gasoline taxes instead of taxing large SUVs seperately? If they want to increase taxes then that seems like the most fair way of doing it. After all a Bugatti Veyron that is driven 2,000miles a year will use less gas then a mid sized car driven every day.

These people don't care about fair.

In Texas vehicles are taxed by curb weight anyway which would largely have the same effect, is that the only state that does that?

Submariner

Epic...now the government is dictating to us what styles of cars are better than others. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

MX793

Quote from: TBR on March 08, 2009, 08:56:26 AM

In Texas vehicles are taxed by curb weight anyway which would largely have the same effect, is that the only state that does that?

Registration fees in NY are based on vehicle weight.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: Galaxy on March 08, 2009, 08:11:55 AM

How about just not increasing taxes at all, for anyone?

This is ridiculous - people who "need" such vehicles ("large families") should be protected from being "unfairly impacted."

This is naked Marxism; can't blame 'em, it's been catching on as of late.

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on March 08, 2009, 10:59:57 AM

This is ridiculous - people who "need" such vehicles ("large families") should be protected from being "unfairly impacted."

Yes, but if they do increase taxes then it should at least be straight forward and simply. Not with dozens of exceptions and exceptions to the exceptions and exceptions to the exceptions of the exceptions.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Galaxy on March 08, 2009, 11:36:06 AM
Yes, but if they do increase taxes then it should at least be straight forward and simply. Not with dozens of exceptions and exceptions to the exceptions and exceptions to the exceptions of the exceptions.

I can't help but think of this...

:lol:

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on March 08, 2009, 10:59:57 AM

As long as our money is made on a debt based currency, taxes & the cost of goods will continue to increase to service ever increasing debt. To a degree I can't blame the gov't for looking for any way possible to justify raising taxes.

AutobahnSHO

How about charging passenger capacity vs. curb weight??
They could employ thousands in the making of the rules, creating then regulating the system, etc...

The maxi-van owners would be better off than Prius drivers, and H2 owners would get the $haft..
Will

S204STi

the Teuton

I'm looking at that picture and at the picture of R-inge's car -- Are they related? :lol:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on March 08, 2009, 08:42:06 PM
I'm looking at that picture and at the picture of R-inge's car -- Are they related? :lol:

I do just happen to call my car "Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz"

280Z Turbo

Quote from: TBR on March 08, 2009, 08:56:26 AM

Michigan does it after a vehicle gets old. My Z is only like $32 a year.

Better than taxing them by MSRP like in Michigan. My $650 Saab was nearly $100 for a year.

giant_mtb

I'm confused...isn't there already a gas guzzler tax on such vehicles?  Doesn't the Dodge Viper have a gas guzzler tax?  We're already doing this bull shit...rewarding the hybrid snobs and punishing the SUV/truck population.

I just don't get it. :facepalm:

280Z Turbo

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 13, 2009, 11:15:55 AM
I'm confused...isn't there already a gas guzzler tax on such vehicles?  Doesn't the Dodge Viper have a gas guzzler tax?  We're already doing this bull shit...rewarding the hybrid snobs and punishing the SUV/truck population.

I'm okay with that.

Tave

How much of the "neglect" has to do with the billions of dollars they've thrown down that hole in Boston?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 13, 2009, 11:15:55 AM

Yeah, but the state government doesn't benefit from the GG tax, that's a federal tax.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

NomisR

NomisR

Quote from: TBR on March 13, 2009, 04:42:05 PM
How's your IOU?

I haven't done my taxes, but they're supppose to be getting 5% interest... better than in the bank. 

TBR

Quote from: NomisR on March 13, 2009, 04:42:51 PM
I haven't done my taxes, but they're supppose to be getting 5% interest... better than in the bank. 

That is actually pretty good, but what is California's equivalent of the FDIC?

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

TBR

Quote from: Tave on March 14, 2009, 10:03:21 AM
:facepalm:

?

Would you really trust the Californian government to ever get around to paying you back?

Edit- I think you misunderstood what I meant (I wasn't clear), my implication was that while banks have the FDIC so that if they go out of business your deposit is insured, the Californian government doesn't have such an agency to guarantee your "deposit".

Tave

TBR

Quote from: Tave on March 14, 2009, 10:11:25 AM
You think Cali is going to "go out of business?"

I think Cali has severe budgetary problems that aren't going to get better any time soon, if ever. California has had an unbalanced budget for as long as I can remember, do you really think that is going to change and they are going to be able to find the money to pay back their tax payers with interest?

Tave

Yes. They'll just borrow it or convince the Fed to give it to them.

saxonyron

Quote from: Tave on March 13, 2009, 11:46:12 AM
How much of the "neglect" has to do with the billions of dollars they've thrown down that hole in Boston?

The Big Dig is just a fitting example of how government is run - especially in Massachusetts.  The project was necessary, but once the tax dollars started pouring in, the planners let their imaginations run wild with absurd and overwrought plans, designs, experimental methods - all of which backfired - and absolutely no one gave a shit about where the money was going. I personally know quite a few contractors and laborers who are still laughing at the corruption and greed that ran through every inch of that project.  400% over budget - and 7 or 8 years after it was supposed to be done, the tunnels still leak, problems are still popping up, and the contractors who made literally billions in corrupt profits are laughing their way to the bank.  And everyone in Boston knows it, yet no one is doing anything about it.  What a system! 

That being said, if anyone out there doesn't think that at a minimum 30% of our tax dollars on the state, federal or even local level are pissed down a corrupt and inefficient rat hole, they are utter boobs.  Raise the gas tax?  Raise tolls?  New SUV excise tax?  Who cares! They'll tax anything that they can imagine, regardless of constitutionality or accountability.  Until we have an honest to God taxpayer revolution and demand that these fuckers stop wasting and stealing our hard earned money, our focus shouldn't be on the type of tax, but on getting them to stop spending so much of our money on unconstitutional and fraudulent things, and allowing unbridled waste to run through every government office.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

dazzleman

Quote from: saxonyron on March 14, 2009, 10:18:56 PM
The Big Dig is just a fitting example of how government is run - especially in Massachusetts.  The project was necessary, but once the tax dollars started pouring in, the planners let their imaginations run wild with absurd and overwrought plans, designs, experimental methods - all of which backfired - and absolutely no one gave a shit about where the money was going. I personally know quite a few contractors and laborers who are still laughing at the corruption and greed that ran through every inch of that project.  400% over budget - and 7 or 8 years after it was supposed to be done, the tunnels still leak, problems are still popping up, and the contractors who made literally billions in corrupt profits are laughing their way to the bank.  And everyone in Boston knows it, yet no one is doing anything about it.  What a system! 

That being said, if anyone out there doesn't think that at a minimum 30% of our tax dollars on the state, federal or even local level are pissed down a corrupt and inefficient rat hole, they are utter boobs.  Raise the gas tax?  Raise tolls?  New SUV excise tax?  Who cares! They'll tax anything that they can imagine, regardless of constitutionality or accountability.  Until we have an honest to God taxpayer revolution and demand that these fuckers stop wasting and stealing our hard earned money, our focus shouldn't be on the type of tax, but on getting them to stop spending so much of our money on unconstitutional and fraudulent things, and allowing unbridled waste to run through every government office.

I agree that the real issue is overspending, not this or that tax.  But the problem is not so much the government, but the voters.  "I've seen the enemy, and it is us."  Voters continuously want more services from the government than they are willing to pay for, and elect politicians who promise to tax somebody else (whether it be 'rich' people, SUV owners, or implicitly, our grandchildren) to give us what we want.  This has been going on for a long time, and this new administration in Washington has now taken it to unprecedented levels.  We will continue to lurch from one economic crisis to another, ending in economic tragedy, until we grow up and face the fact that we have to pay for what we consume.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Tave

Quote from: saxonyron on March 14, 2009, 10:18:56 PM

Montana is in the exact same boat. It gets millions and millions from the Fed to fix its roads and does absolutely nothing. The money gets siphoned off from one bad idea to the next.