No More Mercedes / McLaren Road Cars?

Started by BMWDave, August 08, 2005, 09:17:29 PM

BMWDave

No More Mercedes / McLaren Road Cars?
Date Posted 08-08-2005

STUTTGART, Germany ? Mercedes-Benz is considering building a sportier derivative of its SLR McLaren supercar.

"Yes, we want that," said Klaus Nesser, CEO of Maybach and SLR, in an interview with Inside Line at a recent SLR promotional event in Le Castellet, France. The derivative could have such modifications as a lowered suspension, new tires and 10 to 20 more horsepower.

Nesser referred to this project as a racecar, but one for "private entertainment" and not professional use. "We could easily provide that," he said, but added he feels no need to discuss the potential new model in detail or make a decision on its production before next year. First, he said, Mercedes must meet with SLR owners to discuss their wishes ? a meeting that would take place either at the end of 2005 or in early 2006.

And what about the possibility of an entirely new vehicle line from the Mercedes/McLaren partnership? "At the time," said Nesser, "it's not being discussed." Mercedes owns 40 percent of McLaren, a British racecar builder and Mercedes' Formula One partner.

What this means to you: It means nothing unless you are a multimillionaire with an eye for fine, fast automobiles.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Maybe I'm missing something, but what does that headline have to do with the article? :blink:

BMWDave

QuoteMaybe I'm missing something, but what does that headline have to do with the article? :blink:
I just copied and pasted it frorm Edmunds Inside Link :mellow:

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

I realize that, I wasn't blaming you for this oddity.

giant_mtb

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

Submariner

QuoteI thought they split a while ago?
Merc still owns 40% of them.  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550