Letter to the car I traded in for the MX-5.

Started by Rich, March 10, 2009, 05:42:42 AM

Rich

Letter to the car I traded in for the MX-5.

I bought an 08 Marble White touring with the 6mt and suspension pack. Definitely satisfied. Since having this car, I have never taken the shortest route from point A to B.

I rode by the used section of my mazda dealership today after work to see if my old car had been sold--it hasn't. I started thinking on the rest of the drive home.

Dear Scion tC,

It feels odd driving by the used car section of my Mazda dealership and seeing you sitting there. Ah, the memories we have shared together--you were my first real car. I logged some 45k miles on you over the two and half years I had you while I was in college. There was the time I bought you a new cold-air intake and exhaust. Then there were the lowering springs and rear sway bar. An after-market stereo. A short-throw shifter.

Despite all of this, all that I did for you, the only thing that I got in return was the overwhelming feeling of driving a two-door Camry. You were a bit hefty, a bit underpowered, a little too ungraceful in the turns. If I took a turn too fast, your tires would squeal with displeasure as you plowed forward (despite my requests for you to do otherwise). There was the time I took you to a drag strip only to be completely whipped by an old Saturn SL. And the gymkhana we went to where I watched a couple of two-seater "hair dresser" convertibles absolutely flog everyone else. Including a Z06. Both of those "girl cars" beat us by a full ten seconds. On a one minute course.

That was when I decided you had to go. You were like that first ever girlfriend--I was so happy to have you and call you my own I didn't realize your shortcomings. Spirited driving with you was a bit messy, though fun because I had never done it before and didn't know there was better to be had.

And then I test drove the MX-5. That "chick car." It was game over for you as soon as I pulled back into the dealership lot with it. Two days later it was official--I was leaving you. I can remember handing you over to the salesman in exchange for the new car and driving off of the lot and never looking back.

The MX-5 is a happy little car. You used to squeal with displeasure in the twisties, but this car merely says, "alright chief, let's go," as it proceeds to put a smile on my face that goes from ear to ear--all while the wind blows through my hair.

I do not miss you Scion tC. I hope whomever buys you treats you well, but I'm glad to be finished with you.

Sincerely,

gatlin86

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rich

Made me smile.... I strongly considered a tC before I ended up with a Cooper S, but should have gone for the Miata instead of either.  Stupid Mazda salesmen in Cary  :facepalm:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

BimmerM3

That's pretty good, and it's pretty similar to how I feel about the Accord. I really wanted a Miata when I was shopping for the Accord, but the parental figure said "no." Ah, such is life. Give me a few more years to graduate college and get on my own two feet, then we'll see where I am.

sportyaccordy

Again, 4 seats, fixed roof, bigger piston motor, non RX-8 styling, I would be in a Miata now.

BimmerM3

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 10, 2009, 09:04:09 AM
Again, 4 seats, fixed roof, bigger piston motor, non RX-8 styling, I would be in a Miata now.

Except then it wouldn't be a Miata.

FlatBlackCaddy

I would be all over the miata if they offered a few more features and some engine options.

Slap a v10 in it, 4 doors, luxury features like heated seats/wheel 40 speaker sound system 2000lb curb weight 8 speed dsg, selectable fwd/rwd(for fuel economy) and a removable hard top. They missed the mark bigtime IMO.

Cookie Monster

So basically you want a G35?

I'd love a fixed roof Miata though.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Laconian

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on March 10, 2009, 10:47:11 AM
I would be all over the miata if they offered a few more features and some engine options.

Slap a v10 in it, 4 doors, luxury features like heated seats/wheel 40 speaker sound system 2000lb curb weight 8 speed dsg, selectable fwd/rwd(for fuel economy) and a removable hard top. They missed the mark bigtime IMO.
Throw in a 30 cubic foot trunk and Swivel and Go seating while you're at it.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on March 10, 2009, 11:53:53 AM
Throw in a 30 foot cubic trunk and Swivel and Go seating while you're at it.

only if the Swivel and Go seat is more comfortable then the evil Stow and Go seat which was the first car seat ever designed to not be sit in......
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

NomisR

Quote from: r0tor on March 10, 2009, 12:59:10 PM
only if the Swivel and Go seat is more comfortable then the evil Stow and Go seat which was the first car seat ever designed to not be sit in......

Never sat in one.. so they're designed to be like airplane seats?

r0tor

worse... i think even airplane seats were designed for occupation as a secondary design criteria to fitting as many people in a plane as you can get... stow and go is first of all fit under the floor, secondly fit under the floor with no bulge, thirdly be cheap, and fourthly be able to hold a humans body weight
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on March 10, 2009, 04:54:55 PM
worse... i think even airplane seats were designed for occupation as a secondary design criteria to fitting as many people in a plane as you can get... stow and go is first of all fit under the floor, secondly fit under the floor with no bulge, thirdly be cheap, and fourthly be able to hold a humans body weight
Children don't know any better.

Actually, why bother making the seat comfortable when it's just going to have a child seat bolted on top of it anyhow?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MrH

LMAO.

Sig'ed.  One of the silliest things I've ever heard on this forum.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

sportyaccordy

:lol:

Raza

"If you made a car that was completely different and unrelated to this car, but it had the same name, I'd buy it."

Man, if only the Jeep Cherokee were a small, RWD sports car with a six speed stick and a mid engined turbo four, I'd buy it!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on March 10, 2009, 06:52:42 PM
Children don't know any better.

Actually, why bother making the seat comfortable when it's just going to have a child seat bolted on top of it anyhow?

Surprisingly enough though, our van (with my custom 5-seat configuration which I still need to take a picture of,) ended up doing duty for 5 women (30somethings) over the weekend. (Wife and friends went to a cabin.)

I asked her just now how it worked out and she said, "That's not something women talk about."
Will

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 16, 2009, 05:43:20 AM
Surprisingly enough though, our van (with my custom 5-seat configuration which I still need to take a picture of,) ended up doing duty for 5 women (30somethings) over the weekend. (Wife and friends went to a cabin.)

I asked her just now how it worked out and she said, "That's not something women talk about."

Five 30something women in a cabin?

:lol:  :winkguy:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR