Dumb redneck town resorts to racial profiling

Started by Vinsanity, March 11, 2009, 02:51:34 PM

Vinsanity

Driving through Tenaha, Texas, doesn't pay for some

QuoteReporting from Tenaha, Texas -- You can drive into this dusty fleck of a town near the Texas-Louisiana state line if you're African American, but you might not be able to drive out of it -- at least not with your car, your cash, your jewelry or other valuables.

That's because the police here allegedly have found a way to strip motorists, many of them black, of their property without ever charging them with a crime. Instead they offer out-of-towners a grim choice: Sign over your belongings to the town, or face felony charges of money laundering or other serious crimes.

More than 140 people reluctantly accepted that deal from June 2006 to June 2008, according to court records. Among them were a black grandmother from Akron, Ohio, who surrendered $4,000 in cash after Tenaha police pulled her over, and an interracial couple from Houston, who gave up more than $6,000 after police threatened to seize their children and put them into foster care, the court documents show. Neither the grandmother nor the couple were charged with or convicted of any crime.

QuoteOnce the motorists were detained, the police and the Shelby County district attorney quickly drew up legal papers presenting them with an option: Waive their rights to their cash and property or face felony charges for crimes such as money laundering -- and the prospect of having to hire a lawyer and return to Shelby County multiple times to contest the charges in court.

Apparently routine

The process apparently is so routine in Tenaha that Guillory discovered pre-signed and pre-notarized police affidavits with blank spaces left for an officer to fill in a description of the property being seized.

Jennifer Boatright, her husband and two young children -- a mixed-race family -- were traveling from Houston to visit relatives in East Texas in April 2007 when Tenaha police pulled them over, alleging that they were driving in a left-turn lane.

After searching the car, the officers discovered what Boatright said was a gift for her sister: a small, unused glass pipe made for smoking marijuana. Although they found no drugs or other contraband, the police seized $6,037 that Boatright said the family was carrying to purchase a used car -- and then threatened to turn their children, ages 10 and 1, over to Child Protective Services if the couple didn't agree to sign over their right to their cash.

"It was give them the money or they were taking our kids," Boatright said. "They suggested that we never bring it up again. We figured we better give them our cash and get the hell out of there."

Quote"The law has gotten away from what was intended, which was to take the profits of a bad guy's crime spree and use it for additional crime fighting," Whitmire said. "Now it's largely being used to pay police salaries -- and it's being abused because you don't even have to be a bad guy to lose your property."

This officially makes this "dusty fleck of a town" no better than any other third world country where corrupt cops stop and rob you. I'm sorry, but I don't care if the town's survival depends on this practice; they should wither away in agony as they disappear off the face of the earth for all I care. Actually, I take that back; I'm not sorry  :evildude:

In the meanwhile, if you ever find yourself in the area and don't happen to be some white trash redneck, make sure you don't carry any valuables in your car or on your person, don't break any traffic laws ... and oh, make sure you have Rage Against the Machine's "Killing in the Name of" on full blast on your stereo as you cruise by the police department ever so slowly with both middle fingers extended outside your open car windows  :devil:

Submariner

Holy crap...I'm all for tough drug laws but this is unbelievable.

I mean...I've read about some kooky actions taken by the police, perps, etc, but this is actually breathtakingly bad.

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Eye of the Tiger

What will the Tenaha police do when people no longer respect their authoritay? If a cop came after me in that town, I would just make a run for it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

They'll shoot yer ass. ;)

I would drive around the town, I do believe.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Byteme

Quote from: Psilos on March 11, 2009, 08:12:01 PM
They'll shoot yer ass. ;)

I would drive around the town, I do believe.

See my post at:  http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=17805.0   I've been stopped there before.

That area is famous for that kind of crap.  The area between Nacogdoches and Carthage Texas on US 59 is famous for speed traps and questionable search and seizures.  Smart drivers take US 259 north out of carthage and then take state road 315 over to Carthage, thus avoiding that area altogether.

And the stops aren't really about drugs, it's about shaking down otherwise innocent people.

Raza

Quote from: Byteme on March 12, 2009, 11:02:32 AM
And the stops aren't really about drugs, it's about shaking down otherwise innocent people.

And yet people get offended when I refer to police uniforms as gang colors...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on March 12, 2009, 01:57:41 PM
I thought this was 2009 not 1959.  :nutty:

The more things change, the more they stay the same, my friend.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

bing_oh

Police officers who violate the law are not police officers, they're criminals.

That being said, while the circumstances of what's going on this this town clearly sound fishy, it also sounds like we're hearing one side of the scenarios. One thing I've learned is that there are at least three sides to every story...the sides of the two opposing parties and the truth somewhere in the middle.

And, who the hell carries $6000 cash and brings a pot pipe as a gift to a family visit? :huh:

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Vinsanity

Quote from: bing_oh on March 12, 2009, 08:09:53 PM
And, who the hell carries $6000 cash and brings a pot pipe as a gift to a family visit? :huh:

Apparently, the town is on the way to some gambling spots in Louisiana from the Houston area, so people traveling with $$$ is not out of the ordinary.

Raza

Quote from: NACar on March 12, 2009, 08:55:56 PM
Last time I checked, cash was not illegal.

No, but cops must defend cops.  It's part of the oath they take.  How does it go...?

"Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these coppers from protecting and serving each other, no matter how scuzzy or sleazy or abominable they or their actions may be."

That's how it goes, isn't it?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

bing_oh

Quote from: Raza  on March 12, 2009, 09:37:40 PM
No, but cops must defend cops.  It's part of the oath they take.  How does it go...?

"Neither snow, nor rain, nor heat, nor gloom of night stays these coppers from protecting and serving each other, no matter how scuzzy or sleazy or abominable they or their actions may be."

That's how it goes, isn't it?

Uh huh. Missed that first line in my post, didn't ya, Raza? Oh, I guess it was just your normal selective perception...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: bing_oh on March 12, 2009, 08:09:53 PM
Police officers who violate the law are not police officers, they're criminals.

That being said, while the circumstances of what's going on this this town clearly sound fishy, it also sounds like we're hearing one side of the scenarios. One thing I've learned is that there are at least three sides to every story...the sides of the two opposing parties and the truth somewhere in the middle.

There's a long ways from "questionable" to "criminal," and no matter what, "give us the money and we'll let you go" is never an acceptable course of action.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

bing_oh

Quote from: NACar on March 12, 2009, 08:55:56 PM
Last time I checked, cash was not illegal.

Nope, cash isn't illegal. It's extremely unusual to find somebody carrying $6000 in cash in this age of electronic funds, but not inherently illegal.

Now, as a person of average economic means, I've never carried that kind of funds in cash on me. Hell, I'm almost always armed and I wouldn't be comfortable carrying $6000 in cash! What ever happened to bank transfers and cashiers checks for large sums?

bing_oh

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 12, 2009, 09:52:39 PM
There's a long ways from "questionable" to "criminal," and no matter what, "give us the money and we'll let you go" is never an acceptable course of action.

I agree that, from the information given, it sounds like an extortion scheme. I just wonder if the information given is ALL of the information. If so, it involves alot more than just the local PD...it would have to include the local prosecutor's office and judges in the conspiracy. That's 1950's-era shit right there.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: bing_oh on March 12, 2009, 10:03:00 PM
I agree that, from the information given, it sounds like an extortion scheme. I just wonder if the information given is ALL of the information. If so, it involves alot more than just the local PD...it would have to include the local prosecutor's office and judges in the conspiracy. That's 1950's-era shit right there.

And we know that New Rome pulled off a scam like that- although less felonious perhaps, it did involve the whole town pretty much ( for what it was).

Raza

Quote from: bing_oh on March 12, 2009, 09:52:34 PM
Uh huh. Missed that first line in my post, didn't ya, Raza? Oh, I guess it was just your normal selective perception...

Oh yeah.  I read that.

"If these cops were breaking the law, then they're criminals.  But, honestly, it doesn't look like they're breaking the law at all.  I mean, if those people weren't guilty of something, they wouldn't have money with them!  These cops were just doing normal cop work.  Good job for them, I'm going to forward this article to my captain and see if we can get a similar program running in my precinct."

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

bing_oh

Quote from: Raza  on March 12, 2009, 10:19:28 PM
Oh yeah.  I read that.

"If these cops were breaking the law, then they're criminals.  But, honestly, it doesn't look like they're breaking the law at all.  I mean, if those people weren't guilty of something, they wouldn't have money with them!  These cops were just doing normal cop work.  Good job for them, I'm going to forward this article to my captain and see if we can get a similar program running in my precinct."

Interesting how you accuse me of defending all LEO's simply because of their job, while you judge all LEO's for the same reason. Hypocrisy at its finest. :rolleyes:

Byteme

Quote from: bing_oh on March 12, 2009, 10:03:00 PM

Way too much smoke here not be a fire behind it.  Like I said earlier.  I've been stopped there early in the morning while starting a vacation trip.  The cop followed me without lights for a few miles then switched them on and pulled me over.  Searched the car closely.  Never ticketed, never even gave me a reason why I was pulled over. 

See:  http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-texas-profiling_wittmar10,0,6051682.story

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-texas-profiling11-2009mar11,0,507135.story

http://www.topix.com/city/tenaha-tx

Catman

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18003.msg1017733#msg1017733 date=1236883356
And yet people get offended when I refer to police uniforms as gang colors...

Every agency represents a different government and are operated by their own policies.  Because this department seems to be abusing their authority that doen't imply that others are.  That's like saying that Wal Mart rips people off and since Best Buy is a store then they are ripping people off too.  I really don't understand why you always paint with such a huge brush?  You could have another jurisdiction in a neighboring town who does nothing like this and by your standards they are no better?  Sorry, that's wrong.

Tave

I wouldn't get too upset with him over it, because when he said, "people get offended when I refer to police uniforms as gang colors," he mispoke. When he refers to police uniforms as gang colors, people think he's a moron. Most of them aren't offended enough to bat an eye.

You can rest assured that your average citizen doesn't agree with that, and this is comming from a person who has had far more negative encounters with the police than Raza.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Cobra93

Quote from: Byteme on March 13, 2009, 07:47:20 AM
Way too much smoke here not be a fire behind it.  Like I said earlier.  I've been stopped there early in the morning while starting a vacation trip.  The cop followed me without lights for a few miles then switched them on and pulled me over.  Searched the car closely.  Never ticketed, never even gave me a reason why I was pulled over. 

See:  http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-texas-profiling_wittmar10,0,6051682.story

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-texas-profiling11-2009mar11,0,507135.story

http://www.topix.com/city/tenaha-tx
From the article:
"But in 147 others, Guillory said the court records showed, police seized cash, jewelry, cell phones and sometimes even automobiles from motorists but never found any contraband or charged them with any crime. Of those, Guillory said he managed to contact 40 of the motorists directly?and discovered all but one of them were black."

Spending too much time in the tanning bed, John?  :nono:

Catman

Quote from: Cobra93 on March 13, 2009, 11:20:16 AM
From the article:
"But in 147 others, Guillory said the court records showed, police seized cash, jewelry, cell phones and sometimes even automobiles from motorists but never found any contraband or charged them with any crime. Of those, Guillory said he managed to contact 40 of the motorists directly?and discovered all but one of them were black."

:wtf:

Cookie Monster

Quote from: bing_oh on March 12, 2009, 09:58:00 PM
Nope, cash isn't illegal. It's extremely unusual to find somebody carrying $6000 in cash in this age of electronic funds, but not inherently illegal.

Now, as a person of average economic means, I've never carried that kind of funds in cash on me. Hell, I'm almost always armed and I wouldn't be comfortable carrying $6000 in cash! What ever happened to bank transfers and cashiers checks for large sums?
They were on their way to buy a used car, and that's not unusual to buy outright in cash. :huh:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Byteme

Quote from: Cobra93 on March 13, 2009, 11:20:16 AM
From the article:

Had I been black there is every possibility that my wife, son and I would have been on foot with the clothes on our back in December weather.

Raza

Quote from: bing_oh on March 13, 2009, 04:33:27 AM
Interesting how you accuse me of defending all LEO's simply because of their job, while you judge all LEO's for the same reason. Hypocrisy at its finest. :rolleyes:

Perhaps, but then again, I'll gladly eat humble pie should someone with a tin star prove me wrong.  You said what you said, which sounded sensible, then you went on to all but justify their actions by blaming the victims. 

Quote from: Catman on March 13, 2009, 09:43:20 AM
Every agency represents a different government and are operated by their own policies.  Because this department seems to be abusing their authority that doen't imply that others are.  That's like saying that Wal Mart rips people off and since Best Buy is a store then they are ripping people off too.  I really don't understand why you always paint with such a huge brush?  You could have another jurisdiction in a neighboring town who does nothing like this and by your standards they are no better?  Sorry, that's wrong.

Don't be so touchy, Greg.  I've already amended my normal motto of "all cops are dirty" to "all cops are dirty except for Greg."  Painting with a huge brush, pshaw!

Also, WalMart does rip people off; it's part of their profit strategy.  But I assume that's neither here nor there in relation to your argument.

Quote from: Tave on March 13, 2009, 11:15:00 AM
I wouldn't get too upset with him over it, because when he said, "people get offended when I refer to police uniforms as gang colors," he mispoke. When he refers to police uniforms as gang colors, people think he's a moron. Most of them aren't offended enough to bat an eye.

You can rest assured that your average citizen doesn't agree with that, and this is comming from a person who has had far more negative encounters with the police than Raza.

Oh, fuck you, douchebag.  Let the average citizen feel safe around people in uniforms.  So many cops here have exhibited the Us vs. Them mentality, so they should expect to be looked at with the same distrust they feel for us. 

Let me put it in simpler, less assholishly prejudiced terms.  People can not be trusted.  Cops are people.  Therefore, cops can not be trusted.  Is that playing nice enough for you?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=18003.msg1018337#msg1018337 date=1236974093
Oh, fuck you, douchebag.  Let the average citizen feel safe around people in uniforms. 

I have nothing to do with that. I can't "let" it happen. The average citizen feels safe around police because, on average, the police do their job to protect him.

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 13, 2009, 02:11:03 PM
I have nothing to do with that. I can't "let" it happen. The average citizen feels safe around police because, on average, the police do their job to protect him.

Yes, and on average, the average driver doesn't go smashing into cars and children and the like, but I still look left, right, and left again before pulling out into the street.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i