Nissan?

Started by SargeMonkey, August 09, 2005, 12:52:42 AM

SargeMonkey

Down the street some guy is selling an 80's 1/2 ton, or so, nissan pick-up, 4X4, strait, runs, but does anyone know of there quality? I plan on asking him soon, my car may be to unreliable till I get all the engine sorted, but I know the civic will get good mileage so its worth the trouble at $2.69 a gallon. and rising.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

BMWDave

I know Toyotas of that era were almost unbreakable...not sure about Nissans.  I would assume they would be quite reliable as well.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Colonel Cadillac

On the mileage note, I paid 3.09 a gallon (premium) yesterday  :angry:  

mazda6er

Early model-year (as in a new model) reliability for Nissans is notoriously bad. Keep that in mind.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

QuoteEarly model-year (as in a new model) reliability for Nissans is notoriously bad. Keep that in mind.
That's irrelevent to a 1980s truck.  

Raghavan

QuoteEarly model-year (as in a new model) reliability for Nissans is notoriously bad. Keep that in mind.
yes it is. if it's a truck model that was introduced in the 80's, he's saying to watch out for the very first year models. that's not irrelevent.

ifcar

yes it is. if it's a truck model that was introduced in the 80's, he's saying to watch out for the very first year models. that's not irrelevent.
Only recent Nissans have had serious first-year issues. So it IS irrelevent.  

Raghavan

oh. I thought Mazda6er knew what he was talking about. :P  

FlatBlackCaddy

They are pretty good trucks, the only thing i would worry about are timing belts(if its old, it may break on you) and transmission(if its a auto).

In general nissan trucks (the old ones) are 90% as reliable and bulletproof as toyota's.

As for the newer truck problems, they have nothing to do with the old trucks, but just a note as far as recent nissan's having horrible quality.

Even at their lowest point in reliability(which is in the past 2-3 years with their new products) nissan still managed to maintain a average reliability rating, beating out other forign maker such as mazda and(no surprise) mitsubishi, so even the worst nissan still has steller quality compared to say, german auto's.

mazda6er

You thought wrong.  :D  Seriously though, usually I do know what I'm talking about. Besides, I think ifcar's just blowing smoke sometimes, we should call him more often on those bold, dissmissive statements of his. *starting to research* I'll prove him wrong in a minute.  ;)  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

mazda6er

Aww, who am I kidding? I've got nothing. ifcar's right again.

The reliability info on this page might be helpful to you though. It doesn't go earlier than 1991, but at least you can get a rough idea.
--Mark

ifcar

QuoteAww, who am I kidding? I've got nothing. ifcar's right again.
:praise:  

Raghavan

You thought wrong.  :D  Seriously though, usually I do know what I'm talking about. Besides, I think ifcar's just blowing smoke sometimes, we should call him more often on those bold, dissmissive statements of his. *starting to research* I'll prove him wrong in a minute.  ;)
:lol:  :lol:  

Tom

QuoteThey are pretty good trucks, the only thing i would worry about are timing belts(if its old, it may break on you) and transmission(if its a auto).

In general nissan trucks (the old ones) are 90% as reliable and bulletproof as toyota's.

Word.  I almost bought one and if I have the change again I'll jump at it.  The 2.4 is a very solid engine and mechanically it's a very simple truck with excellent offroad capability.  They also go cheaper than Toyota pickups.  

It's a manual, right?  

SargeMonkey

I think its a stick, as most older import trucks in this town are, about 99%. I think I'll pass on it, I can get a carb for my car and solve its reliability problem for $150+S&H.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454

Pancor

My father owned an '84 regular cab, 4X4.  Hauled everything from ass to zebra mussels  and it only finally DIED a few years ago once he sold it and the jackass put a snowplow on it.  Of course the body was long shot and I remember it having some tuning issues, but it always did it's job.  One of my fondest memories of the thing is launching boats at the beach, driving out into the water until water came in the bottom of the doors  :o    Fuck paying for the boat-launch ramp!

Pancor

His was silver and didn't quite have tires that large, but that what she looked like.   Now I want one!

SargeMonkey

Its grey-ish and has four new tires, rims, charged A/C, new head, four banger, new batt, 130,000 miles and he wants $2,000.

I will instead spend that on my 70 fleetside, I can get a new exast, and some other "nice" things, like some junk yard seats to replace the worn bench, maybe a 4 barrel to replace the 2, has a good intake, good tires, shock are good, needs brake work, I need to instal the driveline, trans cooler, fix the wiring, instal the radiator, get some belts, kill the hornets, their will be no mice, or to many spiders,mybe a CD player and some half secent speakers, needs some work, some rust in the wheel wells, iner bed is good, new bed sides would be nice, but I can fix the current ones, maybe get a used MiG welder, need lessons though, I can oxy but to much soot, pick up a spell checking tool, new plugs, wires, maybe a coil, and then I should be able to buy a burger at the local place. And to top it all off, my mom knows how to apolster car seats, so I don't have to spend $40 on fugly seat covers. Then if I save some money I'll buy a painless wiring harness, and a vintage air thing.

Then on to the civic, maybe a super charger, or I could make it rear wheel drive and mount the 70's 350 and trans, buy a 454 and slide it into the fleetside, imagine the power to weight ratio, or maybe a 572 in that civic, 0-60 in under 1 second... That might need brakes too....
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454