Best and Worst Warning Chime

Started by 2o6, March 13, 2009, 07:13:54 AM

Raza

Quote from: NACar on March 15, 2009, 06:52:02 PM
Did you know that turn signal flashers started out as thermal mechanical switches that actually clicked just because of the mechanical action of the bimetal switch, but have since been replaced by solid state electronics that are naturally silent? However, even with the loss of the mechanical switch, drivers demanded to continue hearing the clicking sound, so manufacturers had to create artificial turn signal flashing sound effects.

No, I did not.  Is that true? 

My Jetta's turn signal is really soft, so soft passengers can't hear it.  At first it annoyed me, but now when I drive another car, like my mother's, I find the turn signal clicking very grating. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 15, 2009, 06:55:34 PM
I could swear that I've read those exact same words somewhere before.

That's funny... I don't remember saying that before, but do I have a horrible memory.  :huh:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

omicron

Not one of our cars have warning chimes for any event I've experienced. That said, I haven't rolled one yet, so there might be a chime for that.

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on March 15, 2009, 06:55:59 PM
No, I did not.  Is that true? 

My Jetta's turn signal is really soft, so soft passengers can't hear it.  At first it annoyed me, but now when I drive another car, like my mother's, I find the turn signal clicking very grating. 

Our current Range Rover has a very artificial coconut-like sound for the flasher.

The artificial sounds for the flashers were created so that people were reminded that their turn signals were on, as so many people drive down the road with ther hands/forearms in such a position as to block the light on the dash.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

TBR

Quote from: ChrisV on March 16, 2009, 09:03:36 AM
Our current Range Rover has a very artificial coconut-like sound for the flasher.

The artificial sounds for the flashers were created so that people were reminded that their turn signals were on, as so many people drive down the road with ther hands/forearms in such a position as to block the light on the dash.

I personally don't really look at my gauges either.

ChrisV

Quote from: TBR on March 16, 2009, 09:37:54 AM
I personally don't really look at my gauges either.

Yeah, but if your hand isn't covering it, your peripheral vision WILL see a flashing light on the dash.

r0tor

I personally like the shift buzzer in the RX-8....
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Vinsanity

Quote from: ChrisV on March 16, 2009, 09:03:36 AM

Does it sound like the "trotting" sound in Monty Python? :tounge:

ChrisV

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 16, 2009, 10:52:34 AM

lol! Yes, it does.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 16, 2009, 10:52:34 AM

Quote from: ChrisV on March 16, 2009, 11:09:27 AM
lol! Yes, it does.

Now I need a Range Rover!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Quote from: NACar on March 15, 2009, 06:52:02 PM
Did you know that turn signal flashers started out as thermal mechanical switches that actually clicked just because of the mechanical action of the bimetal switch, but have since been replaced by solid state electronics that are naturally silent? However, even with the loss of the mechanical switch, drivers demanded to continue hearing the clicking sound, so manufacturers had to create artificial turn signal flashing sound effects.

Odd, but I think I like to have an audible notifier that my blinker is on.

hotrodalex

rohan

Quote from: 93JC on March 13, 2009, 07:38:51 AM
Best: old-school buzzers.
Worst: everything else.
They're the best because you can take them out.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle