Best and Worst Warning Chime

Started by 2o6, March 13, 2009, 07:13:54 AM

2o6

What do you think are the best and worst car warning chimes?

93JC

Best: old-school buzzers.
Worst: everything else.

Byteme

Quote from: 2o6 on March 13, 2009, 07:13:54 AM
What do you think are the best and worst car warning chimes?

Best?  I like the one's in my Jaguar.  None, nada, zero.

Worst.  The ones that chime if you have the key in the ignition and you open the door.  Very inconvenient.  They ought to have an on-off switch.

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on March 13, 2009, 07:38:51 AM
Best: old-school buzzers.
Worst: everything else.

The old school buzzers are like my old alarm clock.  I hated hearing it so much that it woke me up without fail.  I even had a Pavlovian response if I ever heard the same sound on TV (it's happened with my old alarm clock, and my current one as well, the exact same sound) and got sick to my stomach when I heard it.

If by best you mean most effective, then I must say you're right.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

Quote from: Byteme on March 13, 2009, 08:56:06 AM
Worst.  The ones that chime if you have the key in the ignition and you open the door.  Very inconvenient.  They ought to have an on-off switch.

I can think of at least three occasions wherein the door chime saved me from locking my keys in the car.

Quote from: Raza  on March 13, 2009, 09:19:42 AM

By 'best' I did mean 'most effective', yes. There's no point having one if it doesn't do a good job of annoying the hell out of you when you leave your keys in the ignition. And, as you aptly described, the buzzer is by far the most annoying.

Plus the Cherokee had a buzzer, and I'm a bit of a troll. :lol:

To be honest I don't really care either way. As long as it can get my attention it's fine.

ChrisV

What, no love for "lights...are...on..." ? ;)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on March 13, 2009, 09:32:46 AM
I can think of at least three occasions wherein the door chime saved me from locking my keys in the car.

By 'best' I did mean 'most effective', yes. There's no point having one if it doesn't do a good job of annoying the hell out of you when you leave your keys in the ignition. And, as you aptly described, the buzzer is by far the most annoying.

Plus the Cherokee had a buzzer, and I'm a bit of a troll. :lol:

To be honest I don't really care either way. As long as it can get my attention it's fine.

Hehe, see, I never come even close to leaving my keys in my car, and if I do, I can't lock my car.  The remote's a part of the key, you see.  Always has been, in all four cars. 

Now, I did once lock my brother's keys in the trunk of his car, but that's because my hands were full, I only unlocked the trunk, and I dropped the keys into the trunk and close it, forgetting that the doors were still locked. 

Oh well, lesson learned, and now I always unlock the car before opening the trunk. 

I also have a pocket system that helps me never lose my keys.  However, it does mean that my keys are always on me. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

The old "ding-dong" chimes found in certain asian cars were great.  I could put up with that all day.

giant_mtb

I hate how they always use fake car alarm chirps and stuff in movies...and it's always the same goddamn sound.  I'm just thinking to myself when the rich guy locks his car doors with a chirp "THAT'S NOT WHAT THAT CAR SOUNDS LIKE!"  I never understood it.

Vinsanity

Quote from: ChrisV on March 13, 2009, 09:40:06 AM
What, no love for "lights...are...on..." ? ;)

:clap:

I especially like "your door...is...ajar"

Byteme

Quote from: 93JC on March 13, 2009, 09:32:46 AM

Ive done that once in 43 years of driving. 

In pre-remote days it was easy to develop the habit of not closing the driver's door unless the key was physically in my hand.  Today it's virtually impossible since I only lock the cars with the remote.

NomisR

Quote from: Byteme on March 13, 2009, 11:01:28 AM

In pre-remote days it was easy to develop the habit of not closing the driver's door unless the key was physically in my hand.  Today it's virtually impossible since I only lock the cars with the remote.

Well, plus the fact that you cannot lock your doors with the door opened unless you're exiting out the passenger side. 

93JC

Quote from: Byteme on March 13, 2009, 11:01:28 AM

I've never done it, because the door chime saved my ass.

QuoteIn pre-remote days it was easy to develop the habit of not closing the driver's door unless the key was physically in my hand.  Today it's virtually impossible since I only lock the cars with the remote.

I've never had a car with a remote, so hypothetically I should have developed the habit, but I haven't. :lol: I'm very absent-minded. I also have a bad habit of walking away from the car without locking the door. I usually double or triple-check all of the doors to make sure they're locked.

Quote from: NomisR on March 13, 2009, 11:04:25 AM
Well, plus the fact that you cannot lock your doors with the door opened unless you're exiting out the passenger side. 

Hypothetically, if you use your power locks. If I'm alone I don't, I'm used to having grown up with manual locks.

My driver's door will open from the inside whether it's locked or not, so I usually lock the doors as I set off and then I don't have to worry about any of them save for the driver's door when I get out. And when I do get out, since only the driver's door is unlocked, I push down on it to lock it. If I used the power locks they wouldn't lock if my keys were in the ignition, but since I usually manually lock the door...

Byteme

Quote from: NomisR on March 13, 2009, 11:04:25 AM

I'm not sure I understand.  I believe I can lock the opened driver's door with my remote and it stay's locked when closed.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: R-inge on March 13, 2009, 10:19:37 AM
The old "ding-dong" chimes found in certain asian cars were great.  I could put up with that all day.
+1

They aren't irritating but still get your attention.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

NomisR

Quote from: Byteme on March 13, 2009, 11:43:20 AM
I'm not sure I understand.  I believe I can lock the opened driver's door with my remote and it stay's locked when closed.

Or maybe it's just a Japanese car thing, I can't locked the driver side door with the remote if any door or trunk is ajar.  I can't lock the driver's side doors with the power door lock either if any doors are ajar.  And if the driver side door is open, I can't lock it manually until that door is closed although it works for other doors. 

This applies to Honda, Acura and Madzas, I don't remember on other brands but I'd think it would apply as well.  It's just an idiot proof thing.

93JC

Same thing with my Dodge, minus the remote-related stuff.

280Z Turbo

My Ranger had a buzzer, the Focus has a bonger. I prefer the bonger.

Laconian

My Miata has a nasty buzzer that sounds really pathetic when you're running down the battery (power windows, deploying the retractable antenna, etc.)

BREEEEEEEEEEEEEE (rolling up windows) Eeeeeeee..EeeeeeeEEeeeeeeeeeee

Definitely one of the worst.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

I ripped the beeper out of my Jetta because it was sofa king annoying.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Byteme

Quote from: NomisR on March 13, 2009, 11:59:54 AM
Or maybe it's just a Japanese car thing, I can't locked the driver side door with the remote if any door or trunk is ajar.  I can't lock the driver's side doors with the power door lock either if any doors are ajar.  And if the driver side door is open, I can't lock it manually until that door is closed although it works for other doors. 

This applies to Honda, Acura and Madzas, I don't remember on other brands but I'd think it would apply as well.  It's just an idiot proof thing.

With the power lock button on the door or the remote?  I know my 6 won't lock using the remote if a door is ajar.

NomisR

Quote from: Byteme on March 13, 2009, 02:11:36 PM
With the power lock button on the door or the remote?  I know my 6 won't lock using the remote if a door is ajar.

My cars won't lock the doors with both the power lock and remote when they're ajar.  And the manual lock won't work on the drivers door if it's open. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on March 13, 2009, 09:19:42 AM
The old school buzzers are like my old alarm clock.  I hated hearing it so much that it woke me up without fail.  I even had a Pavlovian response if I ever heard the same sound on TV (it's happened with my old alarm clock, and my current one as well, the exact same sound) and got sick to my stomach when I heard it.

Peterbilts used to have buzzer that were mounted on the instrument panel and had their own little knobs for both tone and volume control. I don't know if they still make those or not, but they were cool because you could turn them off when you wanted to.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on March 13, 2009, 02:27:33 PM
My cars won't lock the doors with both the power lock and remote when they're ajar.  And the manual lock won't work on the drivers door if it's open. 

Open the handle, and the manual lock will work.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

Quote from: NACar on March 13, 2009, 01:25:46 PM
I ripped the beeper out of my Jetta because it was sofa king annoying.

But it's a musical chime that sings a song!

da-da-da, da-da-da, da-da-da...

Soup DeVille

By far the worst warning "buzzer" I've ever had ina car was in my possessed '84 Toronado. A badly synthesized, worn out approximation of a matronly female voice repeating " your door is ajar, your door is ajar."

First, bitch, its a door, its not a jar. Second, its closed.

NomisR

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on March 13, 2009, 04:40:17 PM
Open the handle?

Yeah, pull the handle, and keep it pulled, the door will allow you to lock it manually.

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 13, 2009, 04:41:31 PM
Yeah, pull the handle, and keep it pulled, the door will allow you to lock it manually.

What do I want to do that??

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on March 13, 2009, 04:45:06 PM
What do I want to do that??

You said you couldn't lock your doors manually. That's how you can.